Lost connection to server
Exit
Reload
exit
reload
lost connection to server
. . .

Apparently, I happened to attempt to connect as the system went down. Random occurrence, or did I single-handedly bring Gotham to it's knees? You decide.

Oddly enough, I went to load up Champions - Server down for maintenance.
So I load up Steam - Cannot connect to Steam Network.

Perhaps God is telling me something. . .either that or there was a conspiracy of game companies attempting to get kids outside to play. . .

No matter - DCUO will have to wait till I get back from Men's Retreat.

Apparently, I happened to attempt to connect as the system went down. Random occurrence, or did I single-handedly bring Gotham to it's knees? You decide.

Oddly enough, I went to load up Champions - Server down for maintenance.
So I load up Steam - Cannot connect to Steam Network.

Perhaps God is telling me something. . .either that or there was a conspiracy of game companies attempting to get kids outside to play. . .

More complex technologies + decreasing work ethic in people + money grubbing companies = buggy products. Either that or someone chopped your telephone wire :p .

Last edited:
telephone wire
Okay, I realize I am the least technologically advanced technical person I know (no smart phone, twitter, facebook, tablet, [add any recent technical gadget here]), but I have moved into the present century with my internet connection. The last time I used a telephone wire to access the internet was about 10 years ago. Granted, I'm too cheap to pay for anything more than the slowest capped speed my cable company provides (133kb per sec), but it is still far better than using dial-up. :D

Okay, I realize I am the least technologically advanced technical person I know (no smart phone, twitter, facebook, tablet, [add any recent technical gadget here]), but I have moved into the present century with my internet connection. The last time I used a telephone wire to access the internet was about 10 years ago. Granted, I'm too cheap to pay for anything more than the slowest capped speed my cable company provides (133kb per sec), but it is still far better than using dial-up. :D

I'm still slumming on DSL broadband which goes through the telephone wires.

I played CoH for 3 solid years before moving to WoW. I have 4 lvl 50 heroes on Pinnacle...but i've heard the server is pretty dead. No idea as I don't have any desire to play CoH any time soon :)

DCUO: Initial impressions

Exit
Reload
exit
reload
lost connection to server
. . .
Okay, real initial impressions.
Pros:
More action-oriented (for me a major plus as typical MMORPGs tend to be a little stiff for my liking). It feels more like a console game.
Graphics are a bit more polished than CoX and CO (although I like the semi cell-shaded look of CO)
Nicely made cut scenes (not everyone's cup of tea). Being into 3D design and art I truly appreciate a well-made cut scene.
Voice acting. (Sorry, but CoX and CO are mute worlds. . .)

Cons:
Long load times. (Queued up as number 3000 something last night. That's about 5-10 minutes just to get into the game)
Character customization is very limited compared to CoX and CO
Lack of diverse powersets (limited to a small number)
Powers determine grouping role (all players can be DPS - but I cannot be an Ice controller as Ice is limited to the tanker)
Difficulty controlling the character at times (probably due to inexperience more than control style)

There could be more on either side, but this is what I am thinking of initially.

Last edited:
I made a Hero on the Defiant server named Fidoc. He's a Tanker. Hopefully, we can try to get a few people gaming in CoH/CoV! Yup, the game is just as fun as I remember; and as usual it took me like an hour to make my character, lol! My cousin also just downloaded the game, hehe.

Luvdiscgolf (a.k.a Fidoc in game)

You're going to have to set up a specific time. I'm spending most of my gaming time in DCUO at the moment.

I'm generally only available after 7PM PST and not on Mondays or Thursdays.

My main is an ice blaster. . .but I cannot seem to recall his name at the moment.

So City of Heroes is free to play now. I played a bit back in college, will probably start playing again in the next few days. Wanted to know if anyone had any characters already and if so what server; free version only allows 2 total characters for the first month, more unlock as you play (or buy).

Is CoH or Champions better? What's the difference?

Same developers. 8 years later. Both have their good and bad, hard to say what is the better game. CoX has a TON more content since its been around many years longer. But obviously the graphics are very dated. Personally I like DCUO the best of the 3.

Same developers. 8 years later. Both have their good and bad, hard to say what is the better game. CoX has a TON more content since its been around many years longer. But obviously the graphics are very dated. Personally I like DCUO the best of the 3.

My dad and I tried Champions out, were accepted into beta, and liked it. Of course, there was a lot of bugs. But when the game actually came out we were kinda disappointed. There was some significant bugs that weren't fixed. We quit the game not long after that.

My dad was a huge supporter of CoH, playing it all the time. But when he played it I was too young to, so I never got to try it. I may have to try it now.

I really, really, really wanted to try DCUO, being an avid comic book fan, (I have inherited my dad's stash of secret comic books..) My closet is now filled to the rim with comic books, and my collection ranges anywhere from 1700-2800 comic books. I have yet to find a Capt America, though. Really!? Anyways. I tried to download DCUO and it said I didn't have enough disc space. I checked it and I have over 15.1 GB left. I was really annoyed at that. It still won't let me download it : /

So I was going to do a controller for our group since it sounded like we didn't have one (my scrapper is for my solo time), but despite being one of the original 5, it's locked to free players. If I were to choose the "dominator", would I be able to join you guys in Atlas Park, or have to go through the villain side for 2390573490 levels first? :/

Edit: no radiation on doms, screw that. I'll play a second blaster or something.

Last edited:
Well my (hero!) Corrupter "Afterglo" is level 9 after fighting alongside The Enabler for a night. How's everyone else doing? (especially you non-squishies out there! We had to do some valorous kiting several times hehe).

I've been mostly inactive with ToJ, but this is an opportunity I can't miss. I'll be creating a character on Defiant and see if I can meet up with some people! I really like defenders. Are there any requests for me to create a healer?

Back