Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day

I disagree. It is possible you could have Westboro or some nut do something that allows the media an excuse to paint everyone as hatemongers, but, since when has media needed an excuse? The truth is while we would like people to have the courage to stand alone, solely on their convictions, against the world many won't without support. There are many out there who will not see us unless they see it on their web news site or TV, the undecided, the non-Christian who still dislikes homosexuality and the children who would never see a pro-traditional marriage stance otherwise. I've lived long enough to see vulgar internet posters influenced by PC media from "gay" as an insult to "gay" being ok (while still using every other vulgarity). Mass media influence happens and we would be remiss to not use it while others do. The poster of that article seems to want us to be forever submissive to letting immoral ideas speak louder. Today is not like days of yore where word of mouth was the only means of reaching people. Media (internet, TV) is heard by more people than anything else. In fact the internet is now the only connection to the world for some and if they don't see us on their news site they won't know. Will media paint us fairly? No but people will see it and know many people, not just fringe radicals, reject homosexuality.

Will it polarize people? Probably but it's better than being silent and submitting to a slow atrophy. Reminds me of how Republicans, the supposed smaller government party, keep compromising. Of course if they took a stronger stance it could offend someone and get nothing done. Wait what have they gotten done again? Is the government smaller? Is the budget balanced? Is our government moving towards Christian morality? Getting along has gotten us nowhere but in a worse spot and Republicans are still blamed for not compromising.

Muses: I wonder if Chick-Fil-A will run out of food or have they planned appropriately. After all if the day doesn't work out you could say "at least I have chicken" :p .

I agree with you gerbil. I guess the biggest problem I have with the article is he says, "There is a time for Christians to engage in boycotting, such as when a business deals in obviously immoral areas or is clearly unethical in its methods." So, he is actually going father than I would; he calls for a point in obviously immoral areas, homosexuality being one of them 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, we should make it "us vs them." I believe we should always stand with the bible as the truth, including morality, but we should love those that persecute us for any reason, especially our beliefs, and love them enough, Matthew 5:44, to pray and maybe even be able to show them the sin in their life and turn to Jesus as their King and Savior.

Muses: I wonder if Chick-Fil-A will run out of food or have they planned appropriately. After all if the day doesn't work out you could say "at least I have chicken" :p .
+1 for managing to work in a Leeroy Jenkins reference in a potentially controversial thread.

lol I was talking to AJ on mumble last night when one of his friends texted him that a Chik-fil-A not too far from him had run out of everything except chicken nuggets and chicken strips.

I agree with you gerbil. I guess the biggest problem I have with the article is he says, "There is a time for Christians to engage in boycotting, such as when a business deals in obviously immoral areas or is clearly unethical in its methods." So, he is actually going father than I would; he calls for a point in obviously immoral areas, homosexuality being one of them 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, we should make it "us vs them." I believe we should always stand with the bible as the truth, including morality, but we should love those that persecute us for any reason, especially our beliefs, and love them enough, Matthew 5:44, to pray and maybe even be able to show them the sin in their life and turn to Jesus as their King and Savior.

Definitely love them and pray for their salvation. Although I think sometimes it's "tough love" that is called for (the kind that involves not sparing the rod and cutting out an eye to save the body). Of course prayer/bible should discern which to use and when.

I've been thinking lately I see love for sinners around but are we to care only for them and forsake other Christians? Aren't we supposed to support our family in Christ? I think about how terrible it is to be alone in your beliefs. I can see small businesses wanting to take a moral stand but fearing they will go out of business or how they will feed their families if they do. Don't they get some consideration? Doesn't something like this help them be stronger? We hope Christ would be enough to compel Christians to do God's will but it's a lot easier if you aren't standing alone. Christians aren't meant to be alone are we?

Point in case I used to think TF2 administration was all about handling trolls (I do try to talk to some) and maintaining order. Now I've come to the conclusion I neglected other Christians who (God help them XD) look to me for a roll model. I expected all other Christians would be better than me and just "know" everything and do everything right. Now I know you can't look only to the sinners and ignore your own family. Christians need to be there for each other too not just for the sinners.

Honestly I haven't researched the particulars of Chick-fil-A day (because I can't go anyway) and I do get the point about not pushing people away. Thing is often (I withheld it last time but I'll say it now) haters gonna hate (that was painful) and there is nothing you can do to change it. No matter how sugary your no is someone will still call you a hatemonger for it so just do what needs to be done.

Last edited:
I disagree. It is possible you could have Westboro or some nut do something that allows the media an excuse to paint everyone as hatemongers, but, since when has media needed an excuse? The truth is while we would like people to have the courage to stand alone, solely on their convictions, against the world many won't without support. There are many out there who will not see us unless they see it on their web news site or TV, the undecided, the non-Christian who still dislikes homosexuality and the children who would never see a pro-traditional marriage stance otherwise. I've lived long enough to see vulgar internet posters influenced by PC media from "gay" as an insult to "gay" being ok (while still using every other vulgarity). Mass media influence happens and we would be remiss to not use it while others do. The poster of that article seems to want us to be forever submissive to letting immoral ideas speak louder. Today is not like days of yore where word of mouth was the only means of reaching people. Media (internet, TV) is heard by more people than anything else. In fact the internet is now the only connection to the world for some and if they don't see us on their news site they won't know. Will media paint us fairly? No but people will see it and know many people, not just fringe radicals, reject homosexuality.

Will it polarize people? Probably but it's better than being silent and submitting to a slow atrophy...

Is it more important to enforce the rules of Christianity or is it more important to make more people want to be Christians? I think there are times do to both of those things and times where you should do one and not the other, but it seems to me that your post was all about enforcing rules and not so much the latter at an inappropriate time.

...Reminds me of how Republicans, the supposed smaller government party, keep compromising. Of course if they took a stronger stance it could offend someone and get nothing done. Wait what have they gotten done again? Is the government smaller? Is the budget balanced? Is our government moving towards Christian morality? Getting along has gotten us nowhere but in a worse spot and Republicans are still blamed for not compromising.

Some, myself included, might argue that the Affordable Healthcare Act is the government acting in a Christ-like, moral fashion by making healthcare more affordable for people who otherwise cannot afford it. Whether they cannot afford healthcare on their own, people who cannot get healthcare through their job, or people who were denied healthcare altogether - it doesn't matter. Not to mention it would decrease the budget deficit, that's something both parties should like. But that's a topic for a separate 900-page thread.

Edit: I know this post will see a fair amount of flames directed at it, my opinions are what they are.

Last edited:
Is it more important to enforce the rules of Christianity or is it more important to make more people want to be Christians?

Easy, the former. It's always more important to obey God (Love neighbor) than to live according to what we perceive people will be attracted to. The latter is up to God.

There's a popular Christian restaurant where I live appropriately called "Noah's Ark." I think I'll head there tomorrow in support of Chick-Fil-A :)

Is it Christlike to not speak the truth in love. Too many Christians fall for the lie that if I just keep quiet and live a Godly life, that is good enough. They think, well, people will see me, and they will want to be just like me.
A.) that's narcissism, 'unless we are so close to Christ that we constantly reflect Him in His glory, in which case we will also be speaking out.'
B.) It can be a cop out.
C.) It's not what the Commission tell us to do.
Should we be harsh about it, obviously no; but to say nothing would be even worse. I have to stand before my God and give an account, do I want to have, on my conscience, that I didn't allow the Lord to use me to speak truth into someones life, and they perished because I didn't. John the Baptist's entire message was Repent and be Baptized, today he would be ostracized because, who is he to tell me that what I'm doing is sinful. We have become a world of arrogant children who only want to answer to themselves; that cry and pout when told their behavior is wrong.
As far as supporting Christian business' the Bible is clear about supporting our family, and if they are Christians they are our brothers and sisters.

Because the owner made a stand for the sanctity of marriage , liberal media went "Waahhhh!" and then conservative media was like "ORLY?" and then liberal media was like "Huffy huffy huffffff[ington]" and then Huckabee was like "Let's eat some chicken, yall!"

That's what happened.

I think that's word for word what happened! ;)

Because the owner made a stand for the sanctity of marriage , liberal media went "Waahhhh!" and then conservative media was like "ORLY?" and then liberal media was like "Huffy huffy huffffff[ington]" and then Huckabee was like "Let's eat some chicken, yall!"

That's what happened.

Yup cause Huckabee's such a great role model we should all listen to him.

Is it Christlike to not speak the truth in love. Too many Christians fall for the lie that if I just keep quiet and live a Godly life, that is good enough. They think, well, people will see me, and they will want to be just like me.
A.) that's narcissism, 'unless we are so close to Christ that we constantly reflect Him in His glory, in which case we will also be speaking out.'
B.) It can be a cop out.
C.) It's not what the Commission tell us to do.
Should we be harsh about it, obviously no; but to say nothing would be even worse. I have to stand before my God and give an account, do I want to have, on my conscience, that I didn't allow the Lord to use me to speak truth into someones life, and they perished because I didn't. John the Baptist's entire message was Repent and be Baptized, today he would be ostracized because, who is he to tell me that what I'm doing is sinful. We have become a world of arrogant children who only want to answer to themselves; that cry and pout when told their behavior is wrong.
As far as supporting Christian business' the Bible is clear about supporting our family, and if they are Christians they are our brothers and sisters.

Easy, the former. It's always more important to obey God (Love neighbor) than to live according to what we perceive people will be attracted to. The latter is up to God.

Correct. To quote it...

Mark 12:28-31 said:
The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

God comes before the "golden rule". Unfortunately too many people out there think it doesn't.

Some, myself included, might argue that the Affordable Healthcare Act is the government acting in a Christ-like, moral fashion by making healthcare more affordable for people who otherwise cannot afford it. Whether they cannot afford healthcare on their own, people who cannot get healthcare through their job, or people who were denied healthcare altogether - it doesn't matter. Not to mention it would decrease the budget deficit, that's something both parties should like. But that's a topic for a separate 900-page thread.

Edit: I know this post will see a fair amount of flames directed at it, my opinions are what they are.

Odale just had to go there and I don't know how he did it from a quote about elected Republicans being lukewarm pansies XD. /me treads minefield lightly. Whether Obamacare or Chic-fil-A day the argument is not whether we should help people but whether it actually will. Remember Health care reform was called for by both Republicans and Democrats prior to Obamacare. Everyone wants to help but how to help, can we help and if it actually will help is the argument.

The short explanation on health care is he says, she says, will happen web sites mean little to me. By creating government health care you create a dependance on a government that already has proven itself inept. Balance the budget in totality first, prove yourself to me first, because we've given you more money and power time and again and it's helped nothing. You don't trust someone that continually fails with more over and over derp derp. A bankrupt government can help no one (Greece). It's common sense and biblical Luke 16:10 .

Last edited:
Odale just had to go there and I don't know how he did it from a quote about elected Republicans being lukewarm pansies XD. /me treads minefield lightly. Whether Obamacare or Chic-fil-A day the argument is not whether we should help people but whether it actually will. Remember Health care reform was called for by both Republicans and Democrats prior to Obamacare. Everyone wants to help but how to help, can we help and if it actually will help is the argument.

The short explanation on health care is he says, she says, will happen web sites mean little to me. By creating government health care you create a dependance on a government that already has proven itself inept. Balance the budget in totality first, prove yourself to me first, because we've given you more money and power time and again and it's helped nothing. You don't trust someone that continually fails with more over and over derp derp. A bankrupt government can help no one (Greece). It's common sense and biblical Luke 16:10 .

Well, I was avoiding responding to the healthcare thing since it seemed like we were walking in the mine field with the discussion of Chick-fil-a, but I guess I will add in my thoughts as well. I do think government has a lot of issues with being effective, but that is not really my issue with it. My issue with the government taking over is they restrict the supply with regulations and dramatically increase demand, effectively increasing the cost, the opposite of what they say they want to. With all the bureaucracy, only cents on the dollar go to what they were intended for, again increasing the cost. We however are called to be good stewards of the money God has given us, and so with that in mind I can not think how that is being responsible with the money when giving it to someone you know gives them every penny, and giving it to a charity usually has over 90% going to the cause of the charity.

I would say it is one of those things that people take the way of how many small close communities work(helping each other out) and theorize it would be great for a country to do that on a bigger scale. I agree it would be great, but it just doesn't work in practice. Really hoping this does not turn into too big off an argument, but that is my two cents on the subject.

As for the Republican's being lukewarm, the thing that frustrates me the most is often times we do not want something to change or maybe move farther right on it, and the Democrats want to move farther left, but they seem to always end of compromising and moving farther left when not making a deal would have been closer to what we wanted.

Last edited:
/Odale inputs snippit...

... The short explanation on health care is he says, she says, will happen web sites mean little to me. By creating government health care you create a dependance on a government that already has proven itself inept. Balance the budget in totality first, prove yourself to me first, because we've given you more money and power time and again and it's helped nothing. You don't trust someone that continually fails with more over and over derp derp. A bankrupt government can help no one (Greece). It's common sense and biblical Luke 16:10 .

I think its funny that Americans (I believe it's mostly conservatives - calling for smaller government, etc) call our government clunky, unable, apathetic, incapable, etc. However, isn't it ultimately the people's fault it's like this? These inept people are elected officials. If the person you elect turns out to be unable to do their job, don't reelect them.

Anyway, I'm done.

Last edited:
As for the Republican's being lukewarm, the thing that frustrates me the most is often times we do not want something to change or maybe move farther right on it, and the Democrats want to move farther left, but they seem to always end of compromising and moving farther left when not making a deal would have been closer to what we wanted.
Yes that's what I mean. Point in case I wonder how bad the "fiscal cliff" could actually be. The way they keep pushing it back and making the deficit larger going over the cliff may be the only way to ever balance the budget. We'd take a beating but the alternative is to keep digging the hole deeper until we can never get out.

/Odale inputs snippit...

I think its funny that Americans (I believe it's mostly conservatives - calling for smaller government, etc) calls our government clunky, unable, apathetic, incapable, etc. However, isn't it ultimately the people's fault it's like this? These inept people are elected officials. If the person you elect turns out to be unable to do their job, don't reelect them.

Anyway, I'm done.

Republicans will talk the talk but not walk the walk. Awareness of that is what brought about them making the Tea party. The frustration is there is often no one else to vote for that will even say they will do the right thing much less do it. I'm not talking about re-electing people I'm talking about electing them for the first time only to get another compromising Republican.

I think a lot of the elections aren't being decided by Christians or at least those with hard held moral beliefs. I mean every few years we run from one party/ideology to the other when the morality they espouse is very different, some voters can't seem to make up their mind. It's like whoever offers the most candy wins. Part of the problem is there is an ideology of "balance" in our culture which itself has the balance point in the wrong spot. People shy away from the Christian who puts Christ first because he's got them scary radical religions so we get Mr. Wishy washy pretty face man.

If I ran for office my platform would be "NO". I would make a tape recording that said "there is no more money" and play it whenever anyone asked for something. I would not promise good times. I would not promise free rides. I would promise hope for the future but only if everyone worked hard and did without things for a bit. I would also not get elected XD.

Last edited:
Exactly, that's why the Tea Party was born.

The Tea Party label is about as clear as the Occupy Wall Street movement. What Ron Paul started 5 years ago has clearly been hijacked and reinvented and integrated into the same old ... same old.

Back