• Friday

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Saturday

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard this and thought it was just great. Now I'm waiting for that economic stimulus check to come in the mail and I'll pick up a copy of rock band.

Since it was just announced that the Wii version won't have downloadable content at launch (and maybe never) nor World Tour mode, I no longer plan to buy Rock Band for the Wii.

???

Whats the point of buying it then?

Most of the songs on Rock Band get old after playing them a while, and DLing new ones rock (bahahah pun).

I don't see why they would do that...

???

Whats the point of buying it then?

Most of the songs on Rock Band get old after playing them a while, and DLing new ones rock (bahahah pun).

I don't see why they would do that...
Because they know that uninformed consumers won't know the difference between the Xbox 360/Playstation 3 version and the Wii version. Legions of people will still buy Rock Band for the Wii.

I would guess that it costs far less to port a PS2 game to the Wii (thus the reason we're seeing so many crappy ports for the Wii), which means that they increase their profit margins.

Trouble is, they're essentially slapping Wii owners in the face. Considering the install base for the Wii is larger than any other next-gen console, that doesn't seem like a very smart thing to do. Informed consumers will refuse to buy the title and instead go out and purchase a 360 or PS3 instead. Sure, there may be more Wii consoles sold and set up in homes, but how many are being actively played?

If Wii owners are not buying new games, then Nintendo receives less in licensing fees. I would think Nintendo would step up, tell companies to stop releasing shovelware and PS2 ports, and work with Rock Band's developers to match the gameplay experience of the 360 and PS3 versions.

Unfortunately, both Nintendo (by refusing to further develop the online features of the Wii and, as ever, showing reluctance to work with third party developers) and Rock Band's developers are being short-sighted--and it's Wii owners that take the hit. True, the companies' profit margins may increase in the short-term, but they're going to alienate informed consumers and their hardcore player base. Casual gamers aren't as likely to purchase according to brand loyalty, meaning most Wii owners will turn on Nintendo without a second thought the moment another company releases an improved console in the same vein.

By refusing to develop the Wii's online features, Nintendo is essentially telling the hardcore gamers, "You are not important to our financial success." Considering how the Wii is the first console in 20-plus years to break the streak of each Nintendo console selling fewer units than the last, this sort of arrogance seems unwarranted. At best, Nintendo is showing corporate short-term memory loss. At worst, their arrogance is going to eventually overturn the success they've enjoyed with the Wii and allow a competitor to win the next battle in the console wars.

if you are going to pick up cod4 new, get the game of the year edition so you get the new maps for the same price as the older version of cod4, otherwise it'll cost you $12.50 for 1000 microsoft points.

not that i'm aware of. but if you're going to pay $60 for a game, you may as well get the new maps with it huh? by the way, there seems to be a lot of us with the game, so why is friday and saturday night so sparse when it comes to ToJ people? i admit i'm not on every weekend, but there are usually only 2 or maybe 3 of us online on those evenings.

ok, first of all, where do you live Tek7? i live an hour from tulsa and didn't even realize elihu lived in tulsa. i have always thought that getting together with friends and playing, be it a LAN party or whatever, would be awesome. so if that's something you would give consideration to, let me know. second of all, you have very keen insight regarding nintendo's lack of being gamer friendly. i agree with you and am also one of those people with a wii and very seldom play it. i also have a 360 and ps3, which get a lot more time than my wii for the reasons you mentioned. nintendo needs to remember all those people that made the NES a success and realize that they are grown up now and want to play better games than what they have available. i have even seen 2 copies of smash brothers brawlon the shelf together at a local game store for $34.95.

i heard the same thing, that it was VERY similar to vegas 1. i still have vegas 1 so i'll just play it if i feel the need.

ok, first of all, where do you live Tek7? i live an hour from tulsa and didn't even realize elihu lived in tulsa.
I'm currently living in a tiny town called Ada, Oklahoma, but I spent most of my life in a suburb of Tulsa.

My wife and I are probably moving to Missouri after she graduates, but as long as I have family and friends in Tulsa, I'll still visit.

i have always thought that getting together with friends and playing, be it a LAN party or whatever, would be awesome. so if that's something you would give consideration to, let me know.
Definitely. Elihu and I helped arrange a small (under 20 people) Christian Gamers Alliance convention a few years back. Nearly all those attending were Tribe of Judah members. We would like to do the same again some day, when there's more demand.

I'd also be interested in arranging a smaller event, too. I know Bassman lives in Missouri, though I forget exactly where.

second of all, you have very keen insight regarding nintendo's lack of being gamer friendly.
Thank you kindly, sir. :)

i agree with you and am also one of those people with a wii and very seldom play it. i also have a 360 and ps3, which get a lot more time than my wii for the reasons you mentioned.
And your story, from what I read, is a common one. People purchased the Wii expecting a varied and innovative library and instead just have a few AAA Nintendo titles and a few select titles from strong third-party developers like Capcom. Most people who own both a 360 and a Wii wish that the Wii had better online features. I don't own a 360 and I won't be in a financial position to purchase one for some time, but I still wish the online features for Wii games weren't so weak.

nintendo needs to remember all those people that made the NES a success and realize that they are grown up now and want to play better games than what they have available.
Quite true.

Don't get me wrong--Nintendo has released some of their best titles ever for the Wii. Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl are both terrific games. I have every intention of buying Mario Kart Wii the day or the day after it's released in the US.

But Nintendo is only one studio. Third-party titles, overall, have been weak. There are, of course, a few exceptions, but a glance at the Wii games display at Wal-Mart or Gamestop will remind you that 90% of Wii games are shovelware or bad ports. For every Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (one of the best console lightgun games ever), there are at least three Brunswick Pro Bowlings or Petz Dogz 2s.

Wii Ware has the potential to deliver new and innovative games from smaller developers, but only if Nintendo doesn't overcharge developers for using the Wii Ware platform. Wii Ware launches in May, so we don't have to wait much longer to see how that goes.

</offtopic>

I have another friend in Tulsa who has been playing Rock Band. I might try to get in on a Rock Band jam session next time I visit. I've heard a lot of great things about the game and I'd love to see it in action. I just can't afford $570 ($400 for the console, $170 for the game and accessories) to try it out.

I heard pretty much the same thing and 2 RL friends said they were just gonna keep playing vegas 1 so I picked it up used at the Gamestop for $20 instead of $40+ for vegas2 where I wouldnt know anyone playing it hehe

I picked up COD4 for $48 and then had to buy the new maps so it worked out about the same but I didnt wanna wait for the GOTY version anyway. You are right I see nothing about the older COD with it I had just heard chatter on some matches about it including the new maps and COD2 for some reason, maybe they were confused with chinatown being a remake of a COD2 map in the new maps

vegas1 has been a lot of fun, the graphics look pretty choppy when going from COD4 back to R6 though heh

haha ya i have vegas 1 and its not bad but once u play COD4 its kinda bla
and now i cant stand halo and stuff because i prefer COD4 cause its somewhat realistic because u use real guns (atleast i think so)

well the single player is one of the first single players that i really enjoyed. i mean ive gone back and played them a couple times just cause i enjoy it! its very well done game i think

Assuming I get that economic stimulus check the feds have been talking about, I plan on picking this game up in the next month or so. Otherwise it's going to have to wait until like Sept when school gets rolling again (I'm a substitute teacher). We'll def. have to get a little jam session going. I'm pretty decent in Guitar Hero (I usually play on expert) so hopefully some of that transfers over. But I'm thinking with drums and vocals, I'll be starting from scratch.

Just out of curiousity, what songs have you downloaded? I plan to get "Still Alive" (because it's hilarious AND free) along with the Boston pack. Hopefully they'll come out with a CCM pack some time (hey, they're releasing stuff every week. It's possible). I think it'd be awesome to rock out to Supernatural or some TFK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back