Another reason to love linux.

Code:
tj@Homegrown:~$ thefuture
/usr/bin/thefuture: line 2: gnome-window-decorator: command not found
/usr/bin/thefuture: line 2: compiz: command not found
xmodmap: unable to open display ''

based of that compiz is still not installed. did you make sure you go the entire command when you apt-get?

If you blow up your xorg.conf again you can always reference mine: http://sakkaku.googlepages.com/xorg.conf

can you post the output? a easy way is to do:

Code:
tj@Homegrown:~$ thefuture &> output

then you can copy output (which that command will dump into the same directory) and open in windows with wordpad and post it into the forums (or use links :p)

usually mine says it cant open display 0 or something when the config is wrong, its curious that yours is reporting a null display unopenable

Last edited:
Now that it's working, I have a few more questions.

1. Is there a 'windows explorer' type program? The 'desktop' browser thing is difficult to get used to.

2. When I do an Alt-Tab to change programs, how do I select the program I want to go to? I press enter and click but no luck.

3. I downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird. How do I get it on the panel?

Thanks guys.

K, I'll fiddle around with it in the next few days and if I'm still suffering, then I'll PM you.

Thanks again for all your help!

I gots me another question. How is Gentoo? I'm not a big fan of the terminal nor the difficulty in downloading something as simple as flash. For those reasons Ubuntu has turned me off. I haven't looked too much, but Gentoo looks like it would be easier to work with.

Unfortunately gentoo is a blessing and a curse, most of the stuff you install you have to compile from source, this is good because there is the awsome portage tree that handles dependancies and does everything for you. Also you have to configure everything, usually a new system will take 5-8 configs depending on what you want.

The advantages are that you have packages compiled to work best with your cpu/machine and it is easy to test exparamental software. Also once you work with gentoo for a little you notice that you dont run into "dependancy hell" as often, and when you do it usually takes a few minutes to get around instead of hours or days.

Ususually my basic gentoo install will take about 2-3 days to set up, thats usually 2-3 hours a day configuring. One of the nice things about gentoo is that you can do whatever you want. It doesnt cry when you want to delete a file, it doesnt care if you install something.

The debian and rpm based distros are great for servers, but for the versatility of my machines I use gentoo.

Oh and the only way to [reliably] install gentoo right now is over the command line :p

documentation :p

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml

then there is the summarized version:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml

It is best to plan out your system before you install gentoo, else you will forget something and want to hit your head on convenient flat surfaces around...

I know a good set of cflags and ldflags for compiling that wont break packages 97% of the time.

Gentoo is fun and great, but it takes alot of work. Best of all you get to confuse people around you while things are compiling. For some reason humans find scrolling text frightening.

I'm scared. You can bet money on that. Do you think I should wait for the new release of Gentoo (scheduled for August)? They said something about a LiveCD... maybe I can simply install it there.

I install via the command line no matter what :p

The releases are more or less just a update to the stage tarballs. you can conceivably install gentoo and run it for 4-5 years and keep everything updated. Of course stuff gets changed, but usually they are spaced about 2-3 years apart so you dont notice them too badly.

Right now I am installing gentoo onto my macbook, something most distros cant even do right now. I am 75% completed, the rest is setting up bootcamp to allow me to open up grub :p

here is an example of the wonderful make.conf (which controlls the packages (the support compiled in) and the cflags/ldflags)

Code:
CFLAGS="-march=opteron -O2 -msse3 -mmmx -pipe -fprefetch-loop-arrays -freorder-blocks-and-partition -maccumulate-outgoing-args"
#CFLAGS="-march=prescott -O2 -pipe -fprefetch-loop-arrays -freorder-blocks-and-partition -maccumulate-outgoing-args"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"  #CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1,--as-needed"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
USE="gtk gtk2 -kde -gnome lame qt dvd dvdr lirc alsa cdr 3dnow mmx sse sse2 sse3 mmx gtk2 ieee1394 opengl usb vorbis mpeg ssl quicktime win32codecs lm_sensors dio aac X mysql"

this is my base i use between my laptop and desktop. I updated it a few days ago, but it gets changed every month or so.

Back