Another reason to love linux.

theapoc

Click here. [Youtube.com] Warning: might not be safe for work (previews of other videos listed on the side of the page)
More demos here. [Youtube.com] Warning: might not be safe for work (previews of other videos listed on the side of the page)

* OpenSUSE description of XGL
Xgl is an Xserver that accelerates drawing operations by using OpenGL.
* OpenSuse wiki on Compiz
Compiz combines together a window manager and a composite manager using OpenGL for rendering.

I got it installed in Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper just fine. I am loving it. It puts a shame to Windows Vista, from what I've seen of it.

Ill see if i can use it with e17, tho e17 already uses opengl to render everything... Ill work on installing it this weekend, give my dual core opteron something to do :p

I love gentoo, portage makes dependacy hell seem like less of a bad place...

Never have had much of hardware issues in linux, the only problems are wireless cards, they are a pain to setup.

I had trouble with:
Logitech USB headset- couldn't change volume, mic didn't work
Sound Blaster Audigy 2- didn't work at all
Logitech MX518 mouse- couldn't disable/change any buttons, mouse acceleration was always on (couldn't play games because of it)
Couldn't get one sound source to mix with another (i.e., can't run Teamspeak while I'm playing a game)

my mx518 works fine, games work great, you have to configure a mixer that runs outside of alsa. The audigy should work great, alsa has full functionality including hardware mixing with it, so you should have been able to run multiple sources into it. you probably used the wrong drivers. I usuaully compile alsa outside of the kernel, so my system may behave differently.

Also i know most sound cards have a /dev/adsp that is solely for playback, which you could play the game on and use /dev/dsp for ts.

Hate to revive a dead topic here, but I will anyway :). I LOVE Compiz! it's the single coolest looking window rendering system (for lack of anything better to call it) I've ever seen! Full featured, compatible even with older hardware, very stable even at a young age, it looks incredible, preforms even better than without it, and it adds some really cool and useful features (like the f12 thing, and the transparency features) that weren't possible before. So yeah, I'm a bit of a Compiz fan, and I say that if you haven't checked it out yet, and played with it for yourself (the videos seriously do it no justice), you NEED to download Kororaa and give it a shot. It looks better than mac, and better than vista. Linux rules!

I haven't seen a random BSOD since I switched to XP (by random I mean one that wasn't caused by faulty hardware). Then again, I've never ever seen Ubuntu crash (unless it was because of something stupid I did).

I never get blue screens, but if i got a cent for every bsod on the dells at school, i would be pretty rich

The oracle box with gentoo linux i set up at school has been running 6 months straight. Never complains, ever.

tjguitarz said:
How do you set that up? It looks awesome. I've got windows XP pro. What do I have to do?
unfortunately we are using linux for operating systems, as such these window managers are not natively compatable with windows...

linux is great, but dont try it unless you are willing to spend time learning them, as in drop your windows box and divulge some time into properly learning linux..
flamewar8um.gif

If you want to learn Linux, and have set up windows on your computer and/or know your way around your computer. I recommend slicing off some of the extra disk space you might have into a linux partition (I use the ext3 filesystem) using GParted (this can shrink your windows partition without data loss). After you make that partition I recommend installing Ubuntu at least to start because it's very n00b friendly. I started playing with linux on Knoppix (a fairly similar distro without as much polish), and certian things like wireless I couldn't ever get to work, then I switched to Ubuntu and they work right out of the box (in most cases). I still use Ubuntu even after learning a bit more about Linux, I don't know why I would want to switch.

But if you just want to play with those shiny graphics and not have to worry about installing a whole new OS, just get that Kororaa Live CD I mentioned earlier. All you have to do is download the .iso file, burn it using the image burning option on Nero or a similar program (Deepburner is a good free burning program), and restart your computer with the disc in your CD drive. If that doesn't work and it just starts back into Windows, you have to go into your BIOS (press f12 or delete or whatever when your system starts up) and set your CD drive as a higher boot priority than your hard drive.

Anyway, that probably sounds too complex for you (that's not to say that you're not good with computers or anything, I don't know what level of computer knowledge you posess, so I can't really say), but if it's not, you should really give it a shot. Either way, that's what you have to do to get that up and running (with a little more set up for the graphics if you choose to install Ubuntu).

debian based distros seem to work well for newbies, the rpm based onces always seem to deter alot of people (dependacy hell always happens for some reason). out of the 4 people i convinced to install gentoo, they are still using that distro. but most everyday people dont like compiling all their software, tho i enjoy it because i get a speed boost out of my cflags and ldflags, which most of the binaries are compiled to be compatable with a p2, ewww. plus i have a dual core opteron and 2 gig of ram... so i really dont notice the stuff in the background compiling

Hey Killerah, that sounds easy enough. Thanks for the advice. A few questions before I dive in.

1. What is Ubunto? Is that a version of Linux? I don't know much about Linux. Will I be able to choose the partition it is loaded on or do I have to mess around with it?
2. Do I still download Kororaa if I am going to partition and download Ubunto?
3. Will this affect any of my Window's stuff?

Ok, I guess you're going to have to hold my hand :-D

I download GParted, but I can't open the file. I tried downloading a program MS recommened, but it didn't work. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advanced, TJ

i would recommend using the live cd and seeing if that is even remotely what you want, you cant use any m$ software in linux...

How do I use the live cd? I downloaded that program but I can't really look at anything.

Also, I had about enough of Microsoft. Everytime I start up Word it takes forever, and then will crash with simple demands. This is with a 3.6 ghz processor, 2gb of ram, and a nice graphics card mind you. I'm looking for something more stable. I was looking at Ubunto and it said it's writing program was compatible with word in case I emailed a document to myself at work. That's what I want.

you have to burn the iso to a disk, if you have something like nero you can use that if not isoburn seems to work ok.

Next you will have to boot of of that cd. It may look like greek at first, but all that lovely verbose is useful (I always test a unknown system with a livecd to test its condition before even messing with it, 95% of the time linux will find a problem that windows with just bsod over)

It should take you straight into the desktop where you can mess around, just note that nothing is "saved" but rather is written to ram, which will be erased on reboot.

Back