8800 GT's are out

Actually...
1) My primary 2 computers are macs (Mac Mini & MacBook)
2) My windows computer isn't used for very much gaming
3) The few games I play that require Windows run great on my Windows box (mainly Half Life 2)
4) Whatever games that I might have problems with run great on my work laptop
5) The card might be a good deal, but the prices that I saw from the two links in this thread were for over $250. That's a fair chunk of money for something that will depreciate as quickly as computer hardware does.
6) I have a much better use for my money (see my signature for a hint)

A good priced videocard for me is somewhere around $40-60 at most. My NVidia GeForce 3 Ti200 runs great for all of the PC games that I play on that computer. The game that I play the most though works great on my macbook (World of Warcraft). :D
I used to have a GF3 ti200 :p Best budget card ever, until it got to be 5 years old :\

I used to have a GF3 ti200 :p Best budget card ever, until it got to be 5 years old :\

Funny, I never thought of it of a budget card. That card was $200 when it was released. Of course that's when it was brand new. Now you can get one on ebay for $6 + shipping.

And that's exactally why I won't spend more than $40 on a videocard anymore. My GeForce 3Ti200 works fantastic on everything I run. If I start playing games on my PC that require more from the videocard, then I'll go out and buy a card that was top of the line about year or two ago instead of going and buying an expensive card today.

High end gaming PCs are money pits.

I dumped a lot of money into my PCs in my early & mid 20s. Now I'm 31 and I have absolutely none of my old hardware. I built my last PC about 2-3 years ago. It could use some more RAM and a hard drive upgrade now, but otherwise it's works great.

Now I look back at all that money I spent on stuff that I essentially threw away though and I wish that I had more of that money invested into my home or stocks. My wife and I are doing fine, but we'd be SO well off now if I had been a little smarter with my money when I was 16-25.

Last edited:
Honestly the X800 does a really great job overall. Its a PCI-E 16x and i dont have any other PC's with PCI-e so naturally im slow to upgrade and leave a nice card hanging thats why one of those independent rendering cards might be good i was thinking.

And im glad to know im starting to rub off on people :D

someone asked me the other day why i say seksi alot, and they thought i was saying sexy. so i spelled it out and their like? whats the difference? i replied: the difference is in the google results :D

Funny, I never thought of it of a budget card. That card was $200 when it was released. Of course that's when it was brand new. Now you can get one on ebay for $6 + shipping.

And that's exactally why I won't spend more than $40 on a videocard anymore. My GeForce 3Ti200 works fantastic on everything I run. If I start playing games on my PC that require more from the videocard, then I'll go out and buy a card that was top of the line about year or two ago instead of going and buying an expensive card today.

High end gaming PCs are money pits.

I dumped a lot of money into my PCs in my early & mid 20s. Now I'm 31 and I have absolutely none of my old hardware. I built my last PC about 2-3 years ago. It could use some more RAM and a hard drive upgrade now, but otherwise it's works great.

Now I look back at all that money I spent on stuff that I essentially threw away though and I wish that I had more of that money invested into my home or stocks. My wife and I are doing fine, but we'd be SO well off now if I had been a little smarter with my money when I was 16-25.

I value having a fast machine, but with linux the term "fast" really means anything within the last 2-3 years of manufacture. I was tempted to build a SFF (small form factor) to run linux and leave my bigger energy sucking monster dormant most of the time except when I wanted to game.

I value having a fast machine, but with linux the term "fast" really means anything within the last 2-3 years of manufacture. I was tempted to build a SFF (small form factor) to run linux and leave my bigger energy sucking monster dormant most of the time except when I wanted to game.

reason why i bought a mac mini :D

And you truly play WoW on that?

do i? not usually because xfire cant run on macmini :D . but when i go to my next LAN party for CS and other stuff, i can take my mac mini instead of my heavy wooden case and travelling will be much easier. and if i need to play wow while waiting for n00bs to hurry up and get to the meeting spot, then i can :D

do i? not usually because xfire cant run on macmini :D . but when i go to my next LAN party for CS and other stuff, i can take my mac mini instead of my heavy wooden case and travelling will be much easier. and if i need to play wow while waiting for n00bs to hurry up and get to the meeting spot, then i can :D

Thats just plain cool, what kind of FPS do you get?

with macmini CS using crossfire (since darn n00bs dont understand wine and how great the linux community style of shared work can be) i get about 60fps. btw i may look at a new graphics card cuz i found out they dont make my ati x800 anymore :(

with macmini CS using crossfire (since darn n00bs dont understand wine and how great the linux community style of shared work can be) i get about 60fps. btw i may look at a new graphics card cuz i found out they dont make my ati x800 anymore :(

Lol that must be old then huh? ok 60 FPS is not bad. compared to mine thats amazing:rolleyes:.

yeah i need a replacement video card.... after not being able to play UT3 demo, crysis or hellgate on nothing above low settings, i need cash....

cuz ive never ever had a problem and my ancient random rages i have still work compared to the rivas, tnt's, geforces ive had

Back