8800 GT's are out

/me wishes he could afford to build a new gaming rig.

What's the average price for the 8800 cards? It would be interesting to check this thread in 3-6 months and see how far the price dropped.

i need a new gfx card but i'll stick with ATI ftw. either that or get one of those dedicated hardware graphics renderer thingyz

seeing the price of that reminds me why I switched to console gaming. I bought a video card a few years ago for over $200. It sells on ebay now for $6.

seeing the price of that reminds me why I switched to console gaming. I bought a video card a few years ago for over $200. It sells on ebay now for $6.

Why? because it's to pricey or...:confused:

Could be cause his PC is a couple "years" old.

Mine is quite old too, I've already maximized the Graphics and Ram.

Even though my PC is Upgradable, it would just be like buying a new PC and since that part is very rare to find.

Oh..ok i see.

So, its a real shame not able to use DDR2/DDR3 Ram, Video cards that use DX10, etc.

Atown still has a X800, I'm sure he'd want a better video card.

Not everyone has the luxury to get a 8800 GT video card, Quad Core CPU, 30' LCD "Widescreen" Monitor, etc.

It is nice to adore how high hardware has become.

The only way I would get a new PC is if it breaks down, which I doubt it will since I recently changed a newer PSU.

There was a 550Mhz PC that broke down, luckily, I had a extra PSU since my current one was "changed". (Yes, we still have PC's in their Mhz)

Last edited:
Yes, we still have PC's in their Mhz

Woot! I'm not the only one.

I've got an ancient Gateway, 512Mhz, 128Mb RAM, 6GB HD. Oh yeah, and an ATI Rage 128 graphics card.
Currently it runs Win98 so I can use it as a router and legally* bypass the Campus web restrictions and use my linux sytems on the internet.

*For some reason the campus chooses not to officially support anything but Windows(I blame the MSDNAA program), and in order to use the internet on campus, we are required to download login software (Cisco Clean Access Agent) and antivirus (Trend Micro) that are only supported on MS operating systems. The Admins told us non-windows users to in essence 'get Windows or figure it out ourselves'.

So, its a real shame not able to use DDR2/DDR3 Ram, Video cards that use DX10, etc.

Atown still has a X800, I'm sure he'd want a better video card.

Not everyone has the luxury to get a 8800 GT video card, Quad Core CPU, 30' LCD "Widescreen" Monitor, etc.

It is nice to adore how high hardware has become.

The only way I would get a new PC is if it breaks down, which I doubt it will since I recently changed a newer PSU.

There was a 550Mhz PC that broke down, luckily, I had a extra PSU since my current one was "changed". (Yes, we still have PC's in their Mhz)

Lol yeah i see your point, and nor do i have the luxury to get a huge big crazy PC.

Hey guys, the 8800 GT is PCI-E2.0 will this work on a Mobo with PCI-E x16 slots?

Lol yeah i see your point, and nor do i have the luxury to get a huge big crazy PC.

Hey guys, the 8800 GT is PCI-E2.0 will this work on a Mobo with PCI-E x16 slots?

The spec is backwards compatible iirc. Of course that would be stupid to alienate a large portion of the consumer base.

Could be cause his PC is a couple "years" old.

Mine is quite old too, I've already maximized the Graphics and Ram.

Even though my PC is Upgradable, it would just be like buying a new PC and since that part is very rare to find.

Actually...
1) My primary 2 computers are macs (Mac Mini & MacBook)
2) My windows computer isn't used for very much gaming
3) The few games I play that require Windows run great on my Windows box (mainly Half Life 2)
4) Whatever games that I might have problems with run great on my work laptop
5) The card might be a good deal, but the prices that I saw from the two links in this thread were for over $250. That's a fair chunk of money for something that will depreciate as quickly as computer hardware does.
6) I have a much better use for my money (see my signature for a hint)

A good priced videocard for me is somewhere around $40-60 at most. My NVidia GeForce 3 Ti200 runs great for all of the PC games that I play on that computer. The game that I play the most though works great on my macbook (World of Warcraft). :D

Back