You're not a true believer unless you can...

We must consider three things:
1. A man "driver" started this topic.
2. Judging by post title, then understanding the question's being raised, it started, very much, off course.
3. As expected, this man driver will not stop and ask the appropriate questions at the "filling" (read Holy Spirit and God's Word) station to give him proper direction.  

For you see, DV, you're not a true believer unless you can love.  

Please give the points to the Christian ladies side
tounge.gif

Oops, I need to back that up with Scripture.

You are not a true believer unless you can love.

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
He that loveth not, knoweth not God; for God is love.  
I John 4: 7 & 8

edit:
NO sir, not in the least!!!  ouggggghhhhhh!  However, you are a rare bird, for you see, you cannot lose your salvation.  Those that claim Christ and do not love, now that is another story.  Then, too, there is the sacrificial love of a Christian, that in my experience, is quiet different.  And let me say, "true Christian!"  DV, I think we all come short of God's love.  Some who claim to know Christ are down right hateful.  Perhaps I should only say I am saved and not claim I am a Christian.  For I feel that this simply means that not only do I bleieve that I have accepted Him as my Saviour, but that I am living a life mirroring His.

Besides, we KNOW you love and we love you, DV!

It's verses like this that I have a problem with:

"He that loveth not, knoweth not God; for God is love."

Men can love and not know God, can they not?

I fully well understand your feelings. I do not come close/nor try to pretend that I have all the answers. I believe the love that the world proclaims is a far cry from true, Godly love.

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:9

Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways. Haggai 1:7

I do believe that there is a Godly love and the love as the world knows it. God is speaking of a love that would make you willing to give up your life for someone. This is very rare and we both know it. Could you honestly say you love, or have been loved, as God's Word portrays love?

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:3

Dark Virtue- It looks like this verse, I John 4: 7 & 8, is examining the divine love of God as compared to Phileo, or Eros. Yes, a man can love without knowing God, but according to this verse, he will not have the divine love that God gives.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Marcylene @ Oct. 23 2004,3:56)]far cry from true, Godly love.

God is speaking of a love that would make you willing to give up your life for someone.  This is very rare and we both know it.  Could you honestly say you love, or have been loved, as God's Word portrays love?
Take it back and get him Bowser the wonderdog!  I will have lots of times to be wrong.  Godly love = agape.

mad.gif
ugh! You know I hate that out of context business!
rock.gif

I need to go back and look at these 40 pages. I think we may have gotten through them without veering too far off topic, and without too much bloodbath. Congratulations on bringing up one of the most controversial issues among Christians today! It has had the most posts and views since the beginning of the religious discussions.
blues.gif
kewl
blues.gif

Thanks...I think
smile.gif

BTW, Bowser broke into the house LOL

The back door wasn't shut properly and he just came in.

Thankfully the cat wasn't around.

Bowser will make a true believer, or rather, get your heart back to Jesus yet
biggrin.gif
And hey, don't be too skeptical! I bet that door was closed tightly. Won't go into my parable here
wink.gif

Yeah I've been watching for the largest threads in this forum...and this one is the largest, and still growing! Yeesh. I wonder why that is...I can think of more controversial issues.. Of course..the issues being discussed varied much, as always. : )

I have been pondering what you said, Mr. Bill. What do you think would be more controversial? I would guess The Bible/Are you reading the correct version? Jesus/Who was He? Salvation/How it May Be Obtained, Salvation/ Can You Lose It? Tongues/Can You Interpret Them? lol There are probably millions. That then got me to thinking of what Christians do agree on. There isn't a thing! Not one!

I am disappointed that this thread did not look at the individual things mentioned from the beginning of this thread. To search out each item may shed light. For example, God wants us wise as serpents and harmless as doves.

Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matthew 10:16

Therefore I do not think He meant us to go around drinking poison and dancing with snakes! There are churches who do this kind of crazy thing! I know the Bible still stands true today, and perhaps He is assisting us when we do not realize it! (fast food anyone, or is that your wife's/mother's cooking that is so deadly;?) Nevertheless, I am certain there was very good reason in the time that He said it. Signs are for an evil and adulterous generation, and I think that is why Paul was able to handle the viper and remain unharmed. At any rate, the more I study, the more questions I have. I know God is true and very deep, so I will be discovering Him forever, thankfully! I've got the basics down, and my love for Him drives me to continue. I believe I am only limited by my lack of time in the Bible, my understading, my growth in the LORD, and the revelation of the Holy Spirit.

But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. Hebrews 5:14

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. John 5:39

Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, Luke 24:45

As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. II Peter 3:16

Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: Ephesians 4:18

DV? When you were practicing Christianity, were you able to do any of those things? How did you interpret those verses?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]DV? When you were practicing Christianity, were you able to do any of those things? How did you interpret those verses?

I'm going to assume you mean the verses in the OP.

Heck no I couldn't do anything like that. Which made me question why. I was a believer after all.

Which led me to prayer and why prayers weren't answered when the bible clearly says they will be.

Faith of a mustard seed and being able to move mountains. Christ said you could, so why not be able to? There were people with faith much stronger than mine all around me, yet they didn't have the power to do anything. So faith was either EXTREMELY hard to accumulate (and no one could come close to getting a mustard seed's worth) or it was all hooey. I chose to believe the former. Now, I believe the latter.

put up or shut up?

Sorry, I only speak English...

Ive done some pretty impossible things with God's help... Dancing is one, and I shurely coundt do that right now unless God allowed me. I cannot perform miracles on my own, but through my Faith they can be done.

Peter didnt walk on the water because he had webbed feet, he walked on the water because he had faith that he could...

If a mountain gets in my way, it will be removed one way or another.

Back