Why can't you break your rules?

Ive always heard there is one unforgiable sin: Turning your back on God and proclaiming he is not the savior.

But this comes to the point UA made, if you turned your back on God did you really accept him to begin with. To think of turning my back on God gives me the shivers...I just dont know how someone who accepts him as Lord and Savior could do such a thing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ive always heard there is one unforgiable sin: Turning your back on God and proclaiming he is not the savior.

It is actually stated as Blaspheming against the Holy Spirit is the only unforgivable sin. I don't know if this equates to turning your back on God.

Corp: Actually meeting people would be neat, not weird or ackward. I guess if you are not who you portrait yourself to be online then it might be. (I'm not saying you are, just using it as an example.) I case you didnt notice, corp, the CGA is having a gathering. I think alot of us don't think it would be weird to meet each other.

Cory

Well then Thaddius what's blaspheming the Spirit? Is it saying "Goddammit"? That's a frequently used curse, but that's using God's power to damn something, and to damn something flippantly; is it the calling on God to destroy, when you're using it vainly that makes it so blasphemous?
What does it mean to blaspheme the Spirit? Is it something you consciously seek out since most Christians would probably NOT want to seek out something that would bar them from ehaven? What is it? I still don't know. Perhaps it is turning the back on God even if you do know God.

i was thought taking the mark of the beast was the unforgivable sin. but as far as "gd" goes it is a blasphemos since we are useing a vulgar word along with Gods holyness.

I can't tolerate some curse words, but if ANYONE ever says that in my presence they will wish they hadn't and will never do it again I can assure you. Atown taking the mark of the beast is turning your back on God isnt' it?

Mark 3:14-35. Here is the scripture:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] 14. And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach,
15. And to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils:
16. And Simon he surnamed Peter;
17. And James the son of Zebedee, and John the brother of James; and he surnamed them Boanerges, which is, The sons of thunder:
18. And Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus, and Simon the Canaanite,
19. And Judas Iscariot, which also betrayed him: and they went into an house.
20. And the multitude cometh together again, so that they could not so much as eat bread.
21. And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.
22. And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils.
23. And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?
24. And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.
25. And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.
26. And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end.
27. No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.
28. Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
29. But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:
30. Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.
31. There came then his brethren and his mother, and, standing without, sent unto him, calling him.
32. And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee.
33. And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren?
34. And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
35. For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.

Here is what Gray's home Bible Commentary says about it:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A very important addition is that under the head of the unpardonable sin (v. 29). "Danger of eternal damnation" is rendered in the Revised Version "guilty of an eternal sin," which teaches us the awful nature of ascribing the work of the Holy Spirit to Satan, and also the certainty of eternal punishment. If there is such a thing as eternal sin, there must be eternal punishment to accompany it.

Here is what Henry's Concise Commentary has to say about it:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]22-30 It was plain that the doctrine of Christ had a direct tendency to break the devil's power; and it was as plain, that casting of him out of the bodies of people, confirmed that doctrine; therefore Satan could not support such a design. Christ gave an awful warning against speaking such dangerous words. It is true the gospel promises, because Christ has purchased, forgiveness for the greatest sins and sinners; but by this sin, they would oppose the gifts of the Holy Ghost after Christ's ascension. Such is the enmity of the heart, that unconverted men pretend believers are doing Satan's work, when sinners are brought to repentance and newness of life.

Hope this helps,
Cory

Hmm. I like the latter.
But now that I think of it again, "in danger of hellfire" is what mi santosbiblia says. "In danger of eternal sin" is an interesting term, though; does that mean literally you have committed an eternal sin? Or are you merely walking the thin line of rejection of God if you're gonna juxtapose God and the Divvul together?

Also Atown I suppose it would all depend on how you use the "Gd" curse word as you phrase it. What if you seriously meant it and weren't using it flippantly, vainly? Then is it not a swear word, but still terrible?

Hmm. I would say that those who take the Mark cannot return, but then again, I dunno. Some say demons cannot be redeemed, just as angels cannot turn into agents of the Enemy now. True? Can't tell. We're not of the same stuff as the unseen spirits. I believe taking the Mark may remove you from God forever because it is a pledge of allegiance to the Earth and flesh.

you will be judge by your works, its Gods grace that saves us, but our works will get us into heaven (not saying that they save you) look at ever judgement God Judges us He is going to look at your Life to see if it matches your confession of Faith
Matt 25 Sheep/Goats
John 5:16-30
Romans 2:1-16
1Cor 5
Rev 20:11-15

Corp that is a good question what do i have to do to be a Christian
Well It is a 3 step process

First Believe that Jesus Came, was the son of God, Died on a cross for your sins, and was raised three days later as He said He would be.

Second Love as God Loves you.

Third See you in heaven.

It is really simple its not about reading the Bible, going to church, or praying, do you think we do God a favor when we do these things, NOT AT ALL! infact a new survey out says that only about 5% of Christians read their Bibles DAILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If You Love God then you will WANT to do these things, and it is because of your LOVE that you will do them, and that you will Help others, and live a life beyond regret, and a transformed life, a life Pleasing to God.

Jesus Takes the indifference for the lost personally, Matt 25:39-46

"D" is vulgar no matter which way u say it. now if u said God, cleared the dam from branches. that isnt vulgar since we are referring to a man made thingy on a river. "d" is a vulgar word. my thesesouras says for "d": "d" (dam).To use profane or obscene language. v.swear, blaspheme, curse, cuss (informal), damn, execrate, imprecate, profane.

to swear and blasphemy with Gods name in there is surely wrong and is against the 10 commandments

Maybe. If I recall, the 10 Commandments are there to prove we can't do it alone.
And if I also recall, do not use the name of the LORD your God in vain means to say it flippantly...but if you seriously meant to use God to damn someone? I think God says something about not cursing but blessing somewhere in 2 Peter...maybe Chapter 5.
But is it breaking the Commandments? I doubt.

Is not saying that asking God to pass judgement on someones salvation? (I guess its more like telling God to to it) I personally think that it is not good to speak in such a manor.

Matthew 15:10-20
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] 10. And he called the people to him and said to them, "Hear and understand:
11. not what goes into the mouth defiles a man, but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man."
12. Then the disciples came and said to him, "Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?"
13. He answered, "Every plant which my heavenly Father has not planted will be rooted up.
14. Let them alone; they are blind guides. And if a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit."
15. But Peter said to him, "Explain the parable to us."
16. And he said, "Are you also still without understanding?
17. Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and so passes on?
18. But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a man.
19. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, fornication, theft, false witness, slander.
20. These are what defile a man; but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man."

James 3:8-12
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] 8. but no human being can tame the tongue--a restless evil, full of deadly poison.
9. With it we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who are made in the likeness of God.
10. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brethren, this ought not to be so.
11. Does a spring pour forth from the same opening fresh water and brackish?
12. Can a fig tree, my brethren, yield olives, or a grapevine figs? No more can salt water yield fresh.

Cory

Jesus said to love ur neigbor. i dont think saying "gd" to anyone is saying i love u. and Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain. by saying "gd" u are taking the Lords name in vain. plus are we giving glory to God in our words when we say "gd"? i doubt it.

If I'm request God to damn someone, that's not taking his name is vain. That is making a serious request. I still think it's wrong, but I just want to establish that it's NOT taking his name in vain; it's asking God to do something He won't do, so it is a vain practice: it is not, however, taking his name in vain.
But thanks Thad for the verses.

Ultima,

I agree.  While it might not be considering taking His name in vain if you are serious, it is still a bad request.  But most people when they say it are saying it like any other curse word.  That puts them in the position that not only are they requesting that God condemn someone, they are also doing in in vain.  As I have grown over the years, while I might slip with some profanity, when I hear that phrase used it makes my skin crawl....mainly because I know most of the people who say it are not Christians and are endangering themselves.  I don't say it intentionally, and if I happen to do, I immediatly pray for forgivness for using the name of God in such a way.  

but thats just me...

Cory

ever notice how little kids when they learn new profane words they somehow use the words in perfect context??? anyways. we are called to love thy nieghbors and by saying "gd" we are sinning wiether its a vulgar term and used in the right context.

Ephesians 4:29 " DO NOT let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

thankyou jammer. i forgot ephesians talked bout that. i was goin through james yesterday and didt find anything that helped specifically. but ephesians really spells it out.

So what's so bad about a slip of the tongue?
So many people seem to make out saying "######" is enough to get you excommunicated or ostracized, whichever setting of services you attend.
I don't think so. I curse when my emotions get the best of me, so I tend to go for a stoic approach to life. I mean, endless flippant cursing like I hear so often coming out of other people's mouths, yeah. But how about when you're angry, or when you're not in control? We are not in control of our tongue every moment of the day, which is why it's such a dangerous weapon.

Ignoring the antecedent of "God", then, how is it to just say "DAMN!" whenever you bash your finger in with a hammer? "Ow" really doesn't cover the release of the anger whenever you know a more colorful term for releasing that anger and pain in one sudden ejaculation. Seriously, I think cursing is okay to a degree, and that degree being extremely minute. I don't curse at people for no apparent reason, or to cut them down, OR to build them up. Cursing and swearing never does. I tease people who know I'm teasing and it's understood humor in a secret circle. I don't go about and curse with blatant disregard and abandon. It's just not me, and I feel THAT is the sin. I don't curse in my jokes or my teasing intentionally, either, and those who know me know I don't cuss as a practice or out of habit, either.

So what's the deal, yo? It's a channel, a conduit for emotion I think. Sometimes. What's the difference between an "Ow" of pain and a "Damn" of pain, then? They're all intentionally on the same level, so one is as much a verbal substitute for something as the other is, ain't it? One's not the euphemism while the other is the curse. I think that it's society that deems what's proper and not, and then society that ignores what's proper and what's not, so if I go about making "Ow" to be the equivalent of "Copulation" than "Ow" will be the new "F" word.
Do you understand my point? If not, that's cool too.

no Ultima you have it wrong. It's two-part. 1) what society deems offensive. and 2) What God deems offensive.

you are correct. the word itself is not the expletive, it's it usage. A prime example of this is comic books set in the future (for you comic geeks out there i'm think old Marvel's 2099 line) These characters will take a word such as 'SHOCK' and use it in all the various places you'd find half the lyrics of a rap song. That word has now become just as offensive in God's eye's as the 'real' curses.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]expletive

n 1: profane or obscene expression usually of surprise or anger [syn: curse, curse word, oath, swearing, swearword, cuss]

Back