Wanting to start a TeamFortress 2 Chapter

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
I want Tribe of Judah to start up a TeamFortress 2 chapter.

If you're interested in leading a TF2 chapter, send me a PM, post a reply here, or e-mail me at tek7 AT toj DOT cc.

If you're interested in joining a TF2 chapter, post here and stay tuned to the thread.

I'd be willing to assist in leading and organizing a TF2 chapter for ToJ, just as long as I can "offload" a couple of my hats. =)

FYI: A server is $1.49 a slot at GameServers.com. Let's get a couple recurring donations rolling in for this thing and run with it. w00t!

I'm in to join the chapter as a player, and possibly be a co-leader with someone else if there's enough interest, although I think I actually want to play the game before I commit to anything.

I have too much love to ETF still in my heart, and if TF2 doesn't play at least some what similar, I might have issues. :p

Last edited:
[...] just as long as I can "offload" a couple of my hats. =)
Aye, I need to meet with you soon, draw up a full list of your titles within CGA and ToJ, then figure out which hats you want to keep and which you want to hand off to others.

FYI: A server is $1.49 a slot at GameServers.com. Let's get a couple recurring donations rolling in for this thing and run with it. w00t!
Having a UT2004 server again reminded me just how much I miss Tribe of Judah having our own servers.

I'd still like to see donations pick up for our next dedicated server, though.

/shrug

We'll see how it falls together. :)

I'd be willing to assist in leading and organizing a TF2 chapter for ToJ [...]
I'm in to join the chapter as a player, and possibly be a co-leader with someone else if there's enough interest
Yay, interest!

I'd like to wait another week, then, if we have members willing to lead the chapter and play regularly, we can start the chapter.

Until then, I want to make sure my attention is on promoting our new UT2004 server. I'll still play UT2004 even with Fortress Forever and TeamFortress 2 proving popular, but I want to stay focused this week. :)

EDIT: Let's keep this thread going, though! I want to see every Christian gamer interested in TF2 to post a reply in this thread.

although I think I actually want to play the game before I commit to anything.
Makes sense. :)

I'm leaning toward plunking down the $45 to pre-order the Orange Box, since I want to play Episodes 1 and 2 anyway. (I haven't purchased Half-Life 2: Episode 1 yet.) I may wait a while, though, to make sure I pay plenty attention to our new UT2004 server.

I have too much love to ETF still in my heart, and TF2 doesn't play at least some what similar, I might have issues. :p
Understood.

I have ETF queued up in my download manager and also plan to try out the Quake Wars demo as well.

Man, when it rains, it pours, eh? It seems like there was a long drought of FPS games for a long while, then we get a string of big titles all in a row: Bioshock, Fortress Forever, Quake Wars, TeamFortress 2. Keep 'em comin! :D

I downloaded Orange Box last night but TF2 is giving me Direct3D issues, even though HL:Ep1 and all the other source games work fine. If I can get it to run, I'll almost definitely be interested in playing this.

I downloaded Orange Box last night but TF2 is giving me Direct3D issues, even though HL:Ep1 and all the other source games work fine. If I can get it to run, I'll almost definitely be interested in playing this.
I buckled and pre-ordered the Orange Box about an hour ago. TeamFortress 2 is downloading as we speak.

I still intend to join you guys on the UT2004 server as often as I can. :)

Playing an old, familiar game with ToJ members > playing a new game with strangers.

This game is really, really good. I am glad I bought it. I will definitely be interested in playing with a chapter for this. I dunno if I could volunteer to lead, because if UT3 isn't horrible then I'll be playing that with LOB. But I'll definitely commit to being a member.

There's no demo available because we're actually playing just the beta. The game launches 10 October. They may or may not have a demo available then, I dunno.

The reason I purchased it ahead of time is that, for the two games I want (Team Fortress 2 and Portal) it costs $45 to buy it now, with the added bonus of being able to play TF2 in beta. When it releases, they're going to charge $50 in order to purchase TF2 and Portal separately (which is completely bogus but whatever). So if you have an interest in playing TF2 AND Portal, you're probably better served by preordering the Orange Box. And if you want to play Half Life Episode 2, then you should *definitely* get the Orange Box, because buying TF2, and Portal, and Ep2 separately is a lot more than you'd pay by preordering.

In short, Valve is charging more than they should by making consumers buy stuff they don't want, and that's evil, but the least evil option for most people is to go ahead and do it anyway.

In short, Valve is charging more than they should by making consumers buy stuff they don't want, and that's evil, but the least evil option for most people is to go ahead and do it anyway.
Valve games = fantastic

Valve business sense = braindead

Kinda like Sega.

Sega had no business sense in an eccentric "the memory card is ALSO a Tamagotchi" way... Valve has no business sense in an evil Microsoft way.

Sega had no business sense in an eccentric "the memory card is ALSO a Tamagotchi" way... Valve has no business sense in an evil Microsoft way.
Aww, I like the VMS cards for the Dreamcast. There were some fun mini-games you could load from Power Stone to the VMS (memory card).

When I referred to Sega's lack of business sense, I meant their releasing console after console in rapid succession: Genesis to Sega CD to 32X to Saturn to Dreamcast. And the launch price for the Dreamcast was $400. If they had scrapped some of their "in-between" add-ons and consoles and dropped the launch price of the Dreamcast, I think console history would have played out quite differently.

Maybe there's be a parallel universe with a Dreamcast II.

/dream

</offtopic>

I would be playing more TeamFortress 2, but I've had issues with getting it to run for more than 4 minutes at a time without crashing. I've gone so far as to try unofficial drivers with no success. Looks like I may have to shelf the game in favor of Fortress Forever, at least until Valve fixes TF2.

Sounds like a fiasco to me, i'll stick with Unreal Tournament series for now.

It's only a "business sense" fiasco if you *don't* actually pre-order the game and get all that HL2 goodness in one shot for $45. Although that's not much of a saving grace if you already bought HL2 and HL2:Episode 1.

I feel sorry for anybody who bought Episode 1. :( I didn't, and now we can get it plus a load of other content for just a little more than Episode 1's retail price.

Although, the idea of being able to "give away" your old copies (keys) of the previous games is a good disarming tactic.

I looked more closely at the orange box and $44 for all those games is a pretty good deal. I am going to try the halflife 2 demo and if I like it i'll consider buying it.

Kraniac, are you sure about the pricing on all those games, separately? I think you can buy them separately, but when you buy the Orange Box, you get 'em all.

Futureshop is reporting that all those games (HL2, HL2:Ep1, HL2:Ep2, TF2, Portal) all come in the retail version of the game.

Soooo...maybe the business sense isn't that screwy? If you just want TF2, then pay $30; just Portal, pay $20. But pay pretty much the same amount of getting both those individually, and you could get HL2, HL2:Ep1 and 2 on top of that.

So...I'm not sure what's evil?

Hmmm...I'm not sure whether I should pre-order and save $10, or wait for the full release and buy retail. Pre-ordering doesn't get a CD, right? It's just a download, a key that's associated with your account, so you can download it anytime?

Charging $50 total for just Portal and TF2 when they originally announced the Black Box package that had TF2, Portal, and Ep2 for $40 is scummy, especially since they canceled Black Box purely out of greed.

Back