Wanting to start a TeamFortress 2 Chapter

re: Canadian Thanksgiving...with Thanksgiving being an agricultural celebration, I suspect that it's because the Canadian harvest season is earlier than the American one.

Although, I have no idea what you guys would be harvesting at the end of November. :)

Thanksgiving isn't only about Pilgrims, btw. :)

Back on topic...so...TF2 sunday evening?

TF2 runs beautifully in wine. I only crashed once, then I played for 2 hours straight lol. I cant wait for HL2: EP2.

I had a great time playing TF2 with Elihu and Baddwin (a.k.a. Dylaak) last night. Was a ton o' fun and hope to play with other ToJ'ers again soon. :D

I love the sniper, because virtually nobody has a decent ranged weapon it is just murder if you can snipe well.

For those who have grabbed TF2 already be sure to check out ToJ's steam community and join up ASAP to start being able to find and play with others listed here. To join the community you will need to first add Plankeye, Tek7 or Elihu to your friends on steam. once that is done and I've verified that you are a ToJ member you will be invited ot teh community. think the community is at 10 people right now, and we've enjoyed some gametime together already. Get in on the action with us!

Just a heads up, I forgot that I have monday off for the holiday, so I won't be back at my rig until tomorrow night. :p Have a good game tonight!

Will the Team Fortress 2 Chapter also include Fortress Forever, and the other Team Fortress games? Also I noticed no one I've played with yet has been wearing a [toj.cc] clan tag, Is that because we don't technically have a chapter yet? What's the status of the TF2 chapter, is it going to happen for sure?

Will the Team Fortress 2 Chapter also include Fortress Forever, and the other Team Fortress games?
That's a tough call.

I've played multiple iterations of TF (except, ironically, the original Quake 1 mod) and enjoyed most of them. I'd like to welcome all TF players, no matter their "flavor" of choice.

On the other hand, the TF2 chapter is our best chance at resurrecting our Shooter Section in a long time and I want to make sure that we don't "dilute" our player base by stretching farther than is healthy for the chapter.

I think right now we should focus on establishing a TF2-specific chapter, then branch out into other TF iterations if there's enough interest in the future.

Also I noticed no one I've played with yet has been wearing a [toj.cc] clan tag, Is that because we don't technically have a chapter yet?
I think it has more to do with TF2 pulling the player name from the player's Steam account instead of through the game's configuration.

I keep meaning to update my Steam user ID (and thus update my handle as it appears in TF2), but I keep forgetting. D'oh!

What's the status of the TF2 chapter, is it going to happen for sure?
I'm ready to get it started. All I need is someone to lead it and people to help support the chapter leader.

We could start tomorrow if a qualified and dedicated leader volunteered today. (It may take a few days to get all the details hammered out, of course, but the official announcement could go out tomorrow.)

I'm ready to get it started. All I need is someone to lead it and people to help support the chapter leader.

I would volunteer, but with UT3 coming out and the UT2004 server i'm watching over, I don't think I could give TF2 the attention it deserves. The Unreal Tournament series is kind of my first love :D. TF2 is growing on me though

I would volunteer, but with UT3 coming out and the UT2004 server i'm watching over, I don't think I could give TF2 the attention it deserves. The Unreal Tournament series is kind of my first love :D. TF2 is growing on me though
Understandable.

I'm hoping to help get the TF2 chapter up and running before UT3 comes out, so I can focus on helping the UT chapter staff win November.

There's just too many good games coming out right now and not enough time to play them all. :)

Question: does anyone know if people using the PC and XBox360 versions of TF2 will be able to play with each other, or will they be on segregated servers?

Good question. I *think* they're separate, although there are rumours that there's supposed to be cross-platform compatibility. I've also seen just any many rumours that it's *not* cross-platform either, so... :p

If it was cross-platform, I'd figure they'd be advertising that fact a lot more.

Had a blast playing with Tek7, Shagz and Dylaak (Baddwin) in some TF2 last night...look forward to playing some more soon with you all!

Yeah, that was much fun...especially once you stopped fragging me. :D

Of course, then Shagz killed me (as a soldier) a few times with his Medic hypo gun... Yeah, I really need to work on my aim. :rolleyes:

As you may be able to tell, I'm fairly new to the multiplayer FPS scene. I'm having a great time, though, and in the week I've been playing have seen that I've become marginally less n00bish. Hopefully the trend will continue.

As long as it's fun, it's good. But it can be pretty frustrating if you can't coordinate with your teammates. (My team of *all ngs* seemed to be quite cable of defending our fort, but I couldn't seem to get our offense rolling.

Thx to Tek for the heals and Elihu for the rocket sandwiches! Baddwin, didn't recognize the name, I'll pay more attention next time! Nice to meet you.

But it can be pretty frustrating if you can't coordinate with your teammates. (My team of *all ngs* seemed to be quite cable of defending our fort, but I couldn't seem to get our offense rolling.
I couldn't find my groove during that match. Our team didn't coordinate their attacks and our team build was too heavy on defense.

Thx to Tek for the heals and Elihu for the rocket sandwiches!
You're very welcome!

I was getting ready to throw my notebook out the window after the eighth or ninth time that TF2 halted for 20-30 seconds for no apparent reason. I would be healing a soldier or heavy one moment, then my notebook would freeze up, loop sounds, then put me back in the game--usually dead--after a severe fit of lag.

I don't know what's causing the bug, but I really hope Valve fixes it soon.

Actually, I found that server to be a little laggy as well. My ping was reporting back that everything was hunky dory, but the animations were a little chunky; might have been the server.

Besides, 2Forts really doesn't have the room for 24 players, IMO.

The recent update causes more CTDs for me, also the auto update broke the server I was exparamenting with and it filled up my partition with stack trace dumps. GRR! The delete operation took about 30 minutes and brought the disk usage down from 100% to 24%.

Actually, I found that server to be a little laggy as well. My ping was reporting back that everything was hunky dory, but the animations were a little chunky; might have been the server.
So it wasn't just me. Interesting.

Besides, 2Forts really doesn't have the room for 24 players, IMO.
Completely agreed.

I don't like that so many servers have a cap of 24 players. That's too many for maps like ctf_2fort, even if it's fine for maps like cp_dustbowl.

A player cap of 16 seems like it would be a reasonable compromise.

The recent update causes more CTDs for me
Eh? What are CTDs?

Back on the topic of forming a chapter, is anyone interesting in leading? If not, I might need to start advertising outside of ToJ to bring in new members to serve as additional staff.

I'm definitely interested in taking part in a chapter, but right now God has plenty on my plate without taking on additional responsibilities. Added to the fact that I need to be very mindful of how much of a 'pull' gaming has on me. With a wife and three kids that need to be a priority, along with leadership commitments at church and involvement in the lives of various people around me, I need to avoid tying myself too tightly to my gaming community. So, as much as I'd love to help out, it wouldn't be prudent for me right now. That's also why I actively avoided leadership in Redeemed. As Icthus knows, I can get way too sucked in. And that's bad, at my stage in life.

However, I'll support in whatever way I'm needed.

Back