TeamFortress 2 = unstable

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
I'd like to play TeamFortress 2. I really would. Problem is, it crashes 30 seconds into the game every single time now.

This latest instance crashed my entire computer with the following message:

*** STOP:0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBFB71447, 0xB8AA2504, 0x00000000)

*** nv4_disp.dll - Address BFB71447 base at BF9D5000, Datestamp 00000000

I know what most of you are thinking: "Hey, you need to update your drivers." Well, I did. Unfortunately, the most recent drivers for my video card are over a year and a half old.

I'm running a GeForce Go 7800 on a Dell Inspiron E1705.

Dell fails at drivers.

EIDT: I'm not the only one with TeamFortress 2 issues. Check out the official Steam forums for scores upon scores of people reporting the same "looping sound crash" problem.

I got the "looping sound crash" problem once, and then it went away after about a minute. *shrug*

Welcome to the wonderful world of windows.

Isn't TF2 running on the source engine? I bet you anything that they updated to a new version of Cg or HLSL and it is calling something not supported by your drivers.

If this doesn't happen with HL:Ep1 or any of the other source games, then it's probably a beta issue that will be resolved by launch. I know that's not soon enough though :(

If this doesn't happen with HL:Ep1 or any of the other source games, then it's probably a beta issue that will be resolved by launch. I know that's not soon enough though :(
I don't have the problem in Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 2 Deathmatch, Fortress Forever, or any other game based on the Source engine but I haven't loaded Half-Life 2: Episode 1 yet.

I don't have the problem in Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 2 Deathmatch, Fortress Forever, or any other game based on the Source engine but I haven't loaded Half-Life 2: Episode 1 yet.

EP1 Introduced many new shading techniques. If you play the game with commentary on it is really neat as they explain how they designed the level and the different "feels" they were trying to go for.

I'd like to play TeamFortress 2. I really would. Problem is, it crashes 30 seconds into the game every single time now.

This latest instance crashed my entire computer with the following message:

*** STOP:0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBFB71447, 0xB8AA2504, 0x00000000)

*** nv4_disp.dll - Address BFB71447 base at BF9D5000, Datestamp 00000000

I know what most of you are thinking: "Hey, you need to update your drivers." Well, I did. Unfortunately, the most recent drivers for my video card are over a year and a half old.

I'm running a GeForce Go 7800 on a Dell Inspiron E1705.

Dell fails at drivers.

EIDT: I'm not the only one with TeamFortress 2 issues. Check out the official Steam forums for scores upon scores of people reporting the same "looping sound crash" problem.
you can use the drivers form nvidia's site w/o reservations..:)

TF@ is still a beta in my eyes. I'm going to wait a bit before getting it.

you can use the drivers form nvidia's site w/o reservations..:)
The drivers from the nVIDIA web site won't work on my notebook's video card. I know, I've tried a few different versions. The only drivers that work are the ones I downloaded from Dell's web site.

I remember when I first got my 7300, they hadn't yet released drivers in linux for it. I just installed the current version then defined the port and amount of video ram, it then worked :p

Likely it is just a definition file somewhere that dell has made and you could force install the latest nvidia stuff and throw in the definition file.

I downloaded these unofficial drivers from tweakforce.com.

If Dell isn't going to update the drivers, someone else will.

They haven't crashed anything yet and UT2004 plays as well as it does with the official version 84.63 drivers.

Unfortunately, it didn't help any with TeamFortress 2. I clicked Continue on the briefing screen, the sound looped, and the process locked.

I'm nearing the point where I'm going to shelf TF2 until Valve releases a proper fix. In the meantime, I can bide my time with Fortress Forever.

Maybe it is the sound drivers? I would look up the chipset and download direct from the manufacturer rather then the outdated thing dell threw in.

Maybe it is the sound drivers? I would look up the chipset and download direct from the manufacturer rather then the outdated thing dell threw in.

There really shouldn't be a problem with sound drivers, its just audio.

I've noticed in other games, they say some laptop graphics cards may not work.

Quoted from my Heroes V box:

Laptop versions of these cards may work but are NOT supported.

The only way to be sure is to try it on a desktop computer, because I believe it will work. Unfortunately, you said you don't have a computer capable of running TF2, yeah...that is weird though, from Wiki's system requirements, its not alot.

1.7 GHz Pentium 4
512 MB system RAM
DirectX 8 video card

There really shouldn't be a problem with sound drivers, its just audio.
You would be surprised how much bad sound drivers can kill a program. One of the reasons I dropped xp x64 is because the sound drivers sucked and would cause certain programs to crash erratically.

I've noticed in other games, they say some laptop graphics cards may not work.

HINT: integrated graphics, tek doesn't have that though.

It is probably something with the sound drivers or abstraction layer. I bet anything if you survey the people with the bug they will have the same chipset or family of chipsets for audio.

It is probably something with the sound drivers or abstraction layer. I bet anything if you survey the people with the bug they will have the same chipset or family of chipsets for audio.
It does appear to be a problem with the audio, even though the STOP error was pointing to nv4_disp.dll (which, to my knowledge, is a nVIDIA driver file).

When I loaded the game with the -nosound parameter, it played without issue.

I tried re-installing the sound drivers, but that didn't help.

I tried installing an older version of the sound drivers, but that didn't help.

My sound card is a Sigmatel 92XX (not sure exactly which model) High Definition Audio.

Since Sigmatel was bought out by another company, I haven't been able to find any "official" drivers except those from the Dell web site.

It seems that I'm stuck until Valve fixes whatever is crashing the Sigmatel cards.

I actually did that to uninstall and re-install the audio drivers that I thought were the problem (and may still be).

Unfortunately, a clean boot also disables my wireless drivers, which I need to get online and play the game. :(

EDIT: By the way, I was able to play the game for 3 whole minutes last night before the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) so rudely interrupted.

What's funny is that my Xfire profile says that I've played TF2 for 2 hours this week, but in reality, it's been closer to 10 minutes. >_<

Don't know if you have tried it yet but a new patch came out last night addressing a few crash issues.

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Team Fortress 2

Fixed a crash with ATI cards running on Vista

Fixed a networking problem that could cause a crash certain types of home networking hardware with out of date firmware installed

Fixed a networking problem that could cause some animation jittering

Fixed bug causing incorrect .dem files to be written (all files after first .dem file would be corrupted)

Fixed bug with placement of teleporters that could result in players being unable to move

Removed mp_friendlyfire cvar for servers. Team Fortress 2 breaks in a number of ways if this is on

Fixed some truncated strings in the destroy menu

Spectators can now see all player classes in the scoreboard

When a round finishes, if there's less than 5 minutes left on the timelimit, the server now goes ahead and switches level right away, instead of going into Sudden Death

The affinity of the main thread is not set explicitly for dedicated servers. This will properly load balance multiple instances of the dedicated server running on a multi-processor machine. The affinity is still set to CPU 1 for clients and listen servers

Fixed crash on startup

Fixed crash caused by .dlls being loaded from the user's path, instead of from the install directory

Back