Wanting to start a TeamFortress 2 Chapter

BAck on topic...

I am looking at aquiring Orange Box and so are a few of my friends.
w00t, we're picking up interest for our Shooter chapters again! Let's hope TeamFortress 2 will help us rally the troops, raise funds for a dedicated box, and keep our servers packed (especially since I much prefer TF2 over CS and CS:S).

:D

K, I pre-ordered last night and played my first few rounds this morning. A little chaotic, but I think I did better than the average newbie. :)

My complaints:
- no offhand grenades!?!?
- no sentry rotation after placement?
- missing a key binding for canceling out of class menus (spy, ng)
- no naplam bazooka for the pyro??

My praises:
- the art direction is AWESOME; everything looks like it came right out of the artist's sketch book
- the nemesis system is FUN, and I love how it zooms over to who killed you
- I love all the stats tracking and achievements, and how the game encourages you along the way (After you die, it says "Look on the bright side...this round you increased your career high for teleporters used!")
- I like the ng scavaging ability
- very user-friendly and easy to get into
- the sound is great, all the weapons "feel" and sound right

Would love to have:
- separate com channels for offense and defense

Definitely a slower game than ETF 'cuz you don't have grenade jumping and bunny happing, I'm going to have to learn to get used to at. But there's so many other great things about the game, it's easy to just love it for what it is.

The lack of grenades keeps the spam down. I was pretty happy about that change from TFC, actually.

Sentries do need to be rotatable, and a sentry cam option would be nice.

I don't know how I feel about the lack of pyro napalm... I think if they swap out his shotgun and give him the pistol instead, he'll be a balanced class.

The binding to get out of class menus (disguise, build, demolish) is Q.

Mostly I think TF2 has increased class specialization, which I think is a good thing. It feels more "rock paper scissors" like. Heavies kill scouts, scouts kill demomen, demomen kill heavies, and so on.

re: spam....ah yea, you're right. I totally forgot about that, I think I must have blocked all those super spammy games of Q3TF on "Mach2se" out of my mind. :p Oh, and nail bombing the spawn room doors, that was always fun. :p

I guess what I miss most is grenade jumping and being able to get from the spawn to the other side of the map fast, but in hind sight, I suppose grenande jumping and bunny hopping made soldiers way too powerful since they weren't really hampered at all by their slow walking speed.

Actually, all these points - about game speed, grenade spam, small map selection, and even the Pyro's lack of naplam rockets - are addressed in some of the developer commentary bits. If you haven't checked those out, give 'em a listen. Some are 'meh' but others are very informative and when you listen to 'em, you really do see the reasons behind certain design decisions, and they're all very good reasons.

There's also a bit in there about how they wanted to keep the interface uncluttered, so I'm guessing that's why there's no sentry cam.

Definitely a slower game than ETF 'cuz you don't have grenade jumping and bunny happing, I'm going to have to learn to get used to at.
/me cheers wildly for the complete and utter lack of bunnyhopping in TF2

I know how to bunnyhop. When I played medic in TFC and grabbed the flag, you better believe I was hoppin' around like Mr. Cottontail.

But TF2 presents a more easily accessible game, with less of the frustration that made me want to throw my keyboard at the wall after 30 minutes of playing TFC.

Besides, Fortress Forever preserves the spirit of TFC and it's a free mod, so you can switch between TF2 and FF as the mood dictates.

/me wrenches thread back on topic

I played a full hour of TF2 tonight with only one crash! And I didn't even have to kill the process or reboot then. I just hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, started Task Manager, clicked back over, and waited a minute or two for the game to come back to the screen.

Let's start raising funds for a ToJ dedicated server so we can run our own TF2 server. ^^

Any word on when they are releasing the server files? I didn't find much information. Is it packaged as a mod for hl2 ded like CS:S?

ooh, CPGS is cool. cPanel for game servers lol. Anyone wanna try a CS:S, HL2 or DoD server?

EDIT: found the commands: http://tf2wiki.net/index.php/Linux_Dedicated_Server

wee.

Ok TF2 Ded server is installed, I will need to install winblowz sometime if I want to get er up and running (so I can actually connect and mess around with it) or talk to someone via IM.

Last edited:
I, too, have preordered the Orange Box. I just d/l'd the TF2 beta today, so will give it a try tonight.

I, too, have preordered the Orange Box. I just d/l'd the TF2 beta today, so will give it a try tonight.
w00t, one more person interested!

How 'bout we set up a game night (or day) soon? Maybe this weekend?

This weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving for me. If you get together later on Sunday night I can join.

Just got bought da orange box. I had to find a work around because the click to purchase doesn't work in wine rofl.

w00t, one more person interested!

How 'bout we set up a game night (or day) soon? Maybe this weekend?

Would love to. I'm on the West Coast, though, and try to minimize my game time until my wife and kids are in bed. I'm not sure what schedule the rest of you are on, other than FJ.

If I've got advanced warning, I can be a bit more flexible, though.

This weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving for me. If you get together later on Sunday night I can join.

how, exactly, does that work? I mean, did the Canadians have Pilgrims and all that too, or did they just want an excuse to eat a lot (which I still don't get. "Let's celebrate the hard times they had... BY PIGGING OUT! Well, I'm headed to Olive Garden. See ya.")

Back