Virgin Mary

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dibbler @ Oct. 14 2003,5:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You dont rationalize God. He said to believe in his not understand him.

But how can anyone believe anything without rational thought? Come on dude, you must concede that...
Very good point. Conceding that ones God is not rational, it would then follow that belief in that God is not rational and therefore indefensible. If it is indefensible, it is based soley on faith, and random faith at that, as any irrational God is just as "defensible" as the next. After reading these other 3 posts I have opened, I'm gonna go chill for the night, but maybe tomorrow I'll form a logical proof that states this.

so what you think you're of the same intellect of the being that created the world as we know it? there are aspects of God that we can't fathom. It's like expecting to have the IQ you have now from birth.

Because we can't see what God is doing or see him face to face, that's where faith comes in. I know we came from somewhere. I know that God was here. His word said he'll be back. The Bible prophesies have been fufilled int he past and they will be fufileld again very soon.

i went in and edited my long one trimor so if you feel like you could debate it go for the read, the last paragraph was left in becuase you did leave it as a direct quote and i have no idea of who it was who posted it

RATIONAL THOUGHT

Rational Thought is over rated. Most people simply operate on received opionions, habit, routine.... you know it wasn't rational thought that believed the world was flat.

Besides, the whole notion of Rational Thought presupposes that belief in things requires a train of deductions. Most the time isn't it simpler then that. When you see a grey horse, you don't need any rational thought to convince yourself that grey horses exist. You have just seen one. Direct perception precludes the necessity for 'thought'.

Now, Sankara Charya the Great Advaitist would be unhappy with any assertion that there can be direct perception. He thought that the perceptions were the great liars. He could never get past the idea that vision could be 'wrong' -- his argument was that if you could possibly mistake a rope for a snake at twilight, then Everything was an Illusion. Here is logic using a toothpick to vault over a Mountain. We can believe our senses. The catenation of cause and effect which bring the images of real objects into our mind is materially real and substantially believable.

So, when we see God and hear God, what is there to think about?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leo Volont @ Oct. 15 2003,6:17)]So, when we see God and hear God, what is there to think about?
The asylums are full of people who would be saved their torment given the ability to exersise a little rational thought.

But as you say, rational thought alone is not, in itself, enough to determine absolutes, if absolutes are what you want. Science and repeated experimentation attempts to determine what is actually real, and even then must be discarded if later shown to be inadequate.

But faith alone will never do

Assylums are also full of people who said God made them do stuff. if it doesn't go along with God's inspired word (aka Bible) then it's probably not God telling you to do it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CCGR @ Oct. 15 2003,8:15)]Assylums are also full of people who said God made them do stuff.  if it doesn't go along with God's inspired word (aka Bible) then it's probably not God telling you to do it.
Isn't the Bible also full of people who said God made them do stuff?

God was more present in the Bible times, the Gospels were written by people that hung out God on this earth. God appeared to Moses and to Paul. That's somethign to write about and listen to him

Lucky they had no assylums back then.... kidding
tounge.gif

I was aware that, according to the Bible, God appeared to Moses but I didn't know he appeared to Paul. Or have I got my wires crossed. Are we talking about Paul the Roman?

Yeah Paul (Saul of Tarsus) the Christian persecutor on his way p Damascus got a personal visitation that blinded him for a bit and changed him dramatically.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Jesus, The Imperfect Beacon--For two thousand years Christians have alleged that Jesus of Nazareth is God incarnate, the sinless being, the embodiment of perfection.

1Pet. 2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth.

Isa. 53:9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

Yet, the New Testament has many statements and acts by Jesus which prove the contrary. He, like Paul, repeatedly made false statements and inaccurate prophecies. Here are a few examples:

John 7:8-10[KJV] Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast: for my time is not yet full come. When he had said these words unto them, he abode still in Galilee. But when his brethren were gone up, then went he also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret.

John 7:8-10 RSV Go to the festival yourselves. I am not going to this festival, for my time has not yet fully come. After saying this, he remained in Galilee. But after his brothers had gone to the festival, then he also went, not publicly but as it were in private.

Jesus broke his promise [word] by going up secretly after saying he wouldn't.

(B) In John 13:38 Jesus said: "...Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou (Peter-ed) hast denied me thrice."

And yet, what actually occurred is shown in Mark 14:66-68: "And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest: And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth. But he denied, saying, I know not, neither understand I what thou sayest. And he went out into the porch; and the cock crew."

According to Jesus' prophecy the cock was not to speak until after the third denial, not after the first.

© Jesus told the thief on the cross: Luke 23:43 "... Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise." This prophecy could not have been kept unless Jesus went to heaven that day, in which case he would not have been buried for three days.

(D) Jesus told a man: Mark 8:34 "... Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

This statement was made early in his ministry. Yet, the cross could not have become a Christian symbol until after the Crucifixion. There would be nothing to pick up. This utterance would have made no sense whatever to the man being addressed.

(E) In Matthew 5:22 he said:

Matt. 5:22 "...but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

Yet, Jesus repeated called people fools: Matt. 23:17,19 "Ye fools and blind..." Luke 11:40 "Ye fools,..."

(F) In Matthew Jesus said: Matt. 12:40 " For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

Mark 15:37 and 15:42 show Jesus died on the day before the sabbath which would be Friday. Mark 16:9 and Matthew 28:1 show he allegedly rose sometime during Saturday night or Sunday morning. Friday afternoon to Sunday morning does not encompass three days and three nights. His prophecy failed.

(G) John 3:13 Jesus falsely stated: "And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven."

This verse is not only inaccurate historically as 2 Kings 2:11 shows: 2 Kings 2:11"...behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven." but also absurd on its face. If the son of man (Jesus-ed) is down here on earth speaking, then how could he be in heaven?

John 7 Jesus going to the feast of the tabernacle, ONE his own brothers told him to Go, and they did not believe he was the messiah. 2ndly he told them he wasnt going because they Jews there wanted to kill him.  You also do not understand that John is the most in depth book writen about Jesus and his life. His book goes more in depth on details and Context is the king.

Lets say you wanted to go to Lybia, now being a white american, you could not go there with out being knowticed. so you tell all your lybian friends you are not going to come, but in secret you go to see what you wanted to see. this way your Lybian friends ( who didnt trust you, basicly wanted you dead) do not tell the general populase about your coming, because they do not know.

Context is king

John 17:15-18 and 25-27 anwser the Peter question

Why must you atempt to distort the Word? i mean come on oh man Mark only has one referrance Jesus must be lying, gosh are you that ignorant that you do not cross referrance it? tisk tisk

Jesus could say that to the other prisonar because, one He is God in flesh, and two he had forgiven the mans sins, and so he would be in heaven with Jesus now then he said that he will be in paradise with him, that does not mean that they will meet up right away, but they will be there together, yet again a hole filled and fruitless argument

the mark one i do not even need to read, any half wit scholar could tell you what the cross represented in Jesus' day. so yes this had heavy implication to the people who Jesus said it, primaraly because the Jews could see a cruxifiction almost daily, man you have to love romain justice.

Yet again context is king
You are only taking the last line of the verse not looking at the entire thing. it is dealing with justice and angry towards a brother. he is also talking about murder at this time. the you fool is in regard to someone saying ot his brother "Raca"

Now then about the Ressurrection
The sabbath starts on Friday in the evening and does not end until monday morning, during times of festival, we can not go into full detail about the rules for the sabbath right now because it would make this post way to long.
Jesus dies friday in the early afternoon, they take him down about evening ( he didnt die instantly), Jewish law says no handling of dead bodies so they put him in a tomb, and left, now then friday, saturday, sunday night. now read it out in the 24 hr time frame and you also get 3 days, it does no say that Jesus got up right on monday morning nor does it say the women went to the tomb at first light, just it says on the first day of the week.

the last one can be debated easier than the 2kings i mean come on Enoch walk with God and was no more, BUT HE DIDNT COME BACK! duh who could talk about heavenly things with any assurance unless he had been there. and that is what the entire passage is about Jesus is teaching Nicodemus who was a Pharisees a teacher of the law and he would know all about the old testament.

all this ramble does is show that the person who wrote it had no idea what he was talking about and only picks and chooses to prove that God is wrong, anyone can do this with anything. it also teaches us that Context is king and that you should learn to read and study before you just randomly post things

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so what you think you're of the same intellect of the being that created the world as we know it? there are aspects of God that we can't fathom. It's like expecting to have the IQ you have now from birth.

Because we can't see what God is doing or see him face to face, that's where faith comes in. I know we came from somewhere. I know that God was here. His word said he'll be back. The Bible prophesies have been fufilled int he past and they will be fufileld again very soon.

Hmmm, this raises for me a very simply question - how rational is God? How much can we (you) understand him?

Lion, "justification" does not make a lie truth.

The cross statement is absolutely silly, I agree. Unfotunatly, I simply copied and pasted rather than editing. (I have read it before, plenty of times).

You have not sufficiently shown how the theif on the cross argument is hole filled. Jesus said "this day" - did he mean it, or not?

Neither have you refuted the heavenly ascendance argument. I find this argument to be extremely valid, and quite a few Christians that I know are currently noodling this one. The OT account clearly states that Elijah was taken up into Heaven. Furthermore, it shows that he was actually taken *upwards* (ascended). Jesus makes quite a false statement in saying that He is the only one to do so.

His creation looks pretty good to me. Intelligent design has that name for a reason. As for maintaining his creation, well we can't see the future God can. There are events that we don't know why they happen, but God does. Why did I lose my job? To get a better one in many cases.

Christianity can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. Getting into Heaven is easy as long as you make the commitment and live through with it.

Christianity can be complex as well but they are minor details. ex end times prophesy, pre-mid-post trib, lineage etc etc

Agree on the majors, tolerance on the minors, in all things Love

CCGR, I must say, I really love the little saying you put at the end of many of your posts. "Agree on the majors, tolerance on the minors, in all things Love."

It's quite a shame you weren't around in the medieval ages - so much bloodshed could have been avoided had they heeded that advice.
sad.gif

that's the motto of our pastor. I hate getting blamed or Christianity getting blamed for the inquisition, crusades and witch burnings etc. I mean I'm against homosexuality and abortion but never will I commit a gay hate crime or murder doctors who perform them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I mean I'm against homosexuality

What have homosexuals done to you, besides exist?

I personally do not like abortion but accept the law as it stands.

All that exists under nature must be natural by default.

I'm against the sin of homosexuality not the sinner. The Bible is against it. I will never approve with it, but I won' act on it. I have friends that are homosexual. I don't hate them.

I also have dear friends who are gay. Their life is natural to them and that's good enough for me.

The word sin is outdated and should be removed from the engish language. People are born who they are. And no anchient book of mythology has any say in it.

Asides, the church is about to split on this very issue. The church must be dragged, kicking and stuggling, into the 21st centure, and indeed reality. Keep your myths and beliefs if you must but it's "real" people that count. Hatred and biggotry has past it's sell by date and good riddance to it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CCGR @ Oct. 15 2003,5:38)]that's the motto of our pastor. I hate getting blamed or Christianity getting blamed for the inquisition, crusades and witch burnings etc. I mean I'm against homosexuality and abortion but never will I commit a gay hate crime or murder doctors who perform them.
That wasn't an attack against the Crusades or Inquisition, mind you - simply, a serious compliment.

Back