Raiding this fall... *READ THIS!*

treebranch

Greetings Raiders!

The officers have been busy gearing up for the fall raiding season! As you may know, we’ve been gathering the mats needed to push into new 25 man content, including SSC and The Eye.

We have spent a lot of time over the past two weeks both revising the gear requirements Kara, as well as creating a new set of requirements for the 25 man content. These numbers are not arbitrary numbers we chose. All classes can meet their kara numbers by running level 70 non heroic instances. The 25 man reqs are significantly higher. You will be able to meet these numbers with a mix of crafted items, heroic drops, turning in badges, and using kara gear.

Just because your gear doesn’t meet the requirements does not mean you can never run kara. But we will be inviting people who meet the requirements before those who do not.

Kara gear requirements:

25 Man gear requirements:

Below is a short FAQ written by Gilga. This should answer most questions…

1) Will not having my gear to those standards mean that I can never go to Kara?
No. What it means is that if there are two people who are available and who both want the same slot for a given raid, the person who meets the requirements will be chosen over the person who doesn't. If you are available at the right time and there is a need for your class/role, you can still be invited. But meeting the requirements gives you a much better shot at being invited to any given raid, and not meeting the requirements is an unquestionable reason for not being invited or for being replaced on any team, at any time.

2) Do these 25-man requirements mean that I'm not going to get to go to Gruul's Lair anymore?
No. For Gruul's Lair only, we will continue to pick teams based on signups and random rolls as discussed See Icthus's post Raiding Invites

3) How am I supposed to meet these requirements without any Kara gear?
The Kara requirements were intentionally designed to be achievable without stepping foot in Karazhan. That doesn't mean that they are easy. But it is possible to get to the requirements through a little bit of hard work on instance teams but also entirely through solo/quest/faction rewards, BoE items, and PvP rewards. At least one officer met the requirements entirely through solo and non-dungeon quest work.

4) Person X has the same class and spec as me and a month ago had worse gear than me but they're getting on Kara teams and I never am so now their gear is way better than mine and I'm left behind. Not fair!
There are a multitude of factors at play ... being available when invites going out being a large one. We try to be fair with schedules and signups but frankly, someone who lucks into being available at the right time will have an advantage that it's hard to avoid. We will be coming out with new teams soon that attempt to be as fair as possible in giving opportunities to the 120+ level 70s in Redeemed. But in the end-game, luck is a factor across the board. Just talk to anyone who's not gotten their class drop, week after week, when someone else gets it their very first run.
5) Person Y doesn't meet anywhere close to the 25-Man specs but they're always on the team and I never am. Not fair!Right now, very few guildies meet the requirements, yet we are still pushing ahead on progression. The teams will be picked to try to give us the best shot at progression, which may mean that the raid needs an under geared pally healer more than an uber shadow priest. The raid leader may pick a rogue who does not have the top gear but who consistently tops the damage meters over someone with better gear. The raid leader may pick someone who has shown effective use of vent and has a good mic in a communications-intensive boss fight over someone who performs great but can only speak in the chat window. 25-man teams will be picked based on progress. See the post mentioned in #2 above -- even as we move to different teams after the summer, the philosophy remains the same.

6) Hey, these are harder requirements than they used to be! Not fair!
We didn't have requirements flushed out for a number of classes, so we've added and tweaked things but do not believe that any substantial change has been met. If anything, we've made it more fair across all classes to become Kara-qualified. The 25-man requirements are substantially more difficult by design, but we didn't have 25-man requirements before.

Just to let you know what’s coming down the pipe, we will be rolling out “Fall Kara Raid Teams” this week. The season will begin with the instance reset on September 4th. More info to come…

Around the same time, we will be making our first attempts on Hydross, Lurker, and Void Reaver. We are in the process of putting together a “Progression Team”. Players on the progression team will be chosen based on gear, raid performance, class skill, and attitude. Once we begin downing bosses, we will open sign-ups for the 25 man content.

So that’s what’s going on! Again, lots of info will be coming out in the next week. We are in 26th place of all the alliance guilds on Stonemaul. Not bad considering we only have 2 official raid nights a week! Keep up the great work, the next few months are going to be a blast!

I see that the Protection paladin requirements for Kara states 65% combined mitigation from dodge, block and parry... How is that even remotely posible? Is that a typo or does that include holy shield? The 25 man Prot Paladin req states 62.4% w/o holy shield. Not that I play a prot paladin, just wondering.

One other thing I was wondering about... the 25 man Ret paladin requirement says nothing about a minimum hit. It should be 8% just like an Arms warrior. Also it states that you must have a 20% dodge? I have about 6% dodge and it wont get any higher with better gear.

Last edited:
Just a pointer about priests and spec, its not enough to say you want a holy priest. Because frankly, I'm a holy priest (28 disc and 33 holy). So by minimum stands, I qualify. But I shouldn't by spec because a number of the 33 holy talents I have are better suited for PvP survivability. So you may wish to point out what talents are a must in a holy build to be considered a holy - healing priest.

I see that the Protection paladin requirements for Kara states 65% combined mitigation from dodge, block and parry... How is that even remotely posible? Is that a typo or does that include holy shield? The 25 man Prot Paladin req states 62.4% w/o holy shield. Not that I play a prot paladin, just wondering.
You are correct PRound it is almost impossible to get this with out Kara gear... which is why we stated it doesn't mean you will not get in. This is the number you need to Tank bigger bosses in Kara. Sure you can off tank with out this, but if you want to tank Prince or chess you need this. (The chess one was a joke)

One other thing I was wondering about... the 25 man Ret paladin requirement says nothing about a minimum hit. It should be 8% just like an Arms warrior. Also it states that you must have a 20% dodge? I have about 6% dodge and it wont get any higher with better gear.
I thought I had fixed this... sorry... you are correct again. I'll make sure this is corrected. Thanks.

Just a pointer about priests and spec, its not enough to say you want a holy priest. Because frankly, I'm a holy priest (28 disc and 33 holy). So by minimum stands, I qualify. But I shouldn't by spec because a number of the 33 holy talents I have are better suited for PvP survivability. So you may wish to point out what talents are a must in a holy build to be considered a holy - healing priest.
I think 'Holy' = Healing Priest. I think if you were Dis and wanted to go to Kara (Like you have) you would go as a Holy or healing class. That is what it means.

I have 55.72% in my raiding gear without holy shield active and still hit uncrushable with it up(with the libram and imp holy shield), where does the 65 and 62.4 come in at?

You have to add in miss too. At 490 defense (not defense rating), a tank has 10.6 miss to add into the equation. It is your Defense Rating x 0.04. So your miss at 358 defense rating per the armory is 14.32

So Where you technically have 55.72 (dodge/block/parry) + 14.32 (miss) + 5.3 (libram block) + 30 (block holy shield) = 105.32 combined mitigation

As you can see, adding miss to your combined dodge/block/parry puts you well over the 65% range at 70.04.

Hope this clears things up.

You have to add in miss too. At 490 defense (not defense rating), a tank has 10.6 miss to add into the equation. It is your Defense Rating x 0.04. So your miss at 358 defense rating per the armory is 14.32

So Where you technically have 55.72 (dodge/block/parry) + 14.32 (miss) + 5.3 (libram block) + 30 (block holy shield) = 105.32 combined mitigation

As you can see, adding miss to your combined dodge/block/parry puts you well over the 65% range at 70.04.

Hope this clears things up.

Thanks Sandman... Pally tanks are the hardest to post reqs for, sense the way they get uncrushable is not the same for each Paladin. The point to that number is you need to be uncrushable. That number means you should be uncrushable. If you hit it before like Where did then you meet that req early.

I need 800 armor now:) now that im uncrushable I can start working more towards armor and stamina as long as I can keep the uncrushable status. According to the macro that adds it up for you it seems my miss is 11.5%(mitigation adds up to 91.04 with holy shield and the macro figures out I have 102.9 total and I need 102.4 to be uncrushable). I just checked and I do have 358 defense rating, so it should be 14.32 miss? Tanks points calculator shows my miss at 11.5 too against L73 mobs and uncrushable/unhittable/uncrittable:)

Wewt i almost meet the req ! i have the AP just need a trinket for the 20% crit! i think 100% fair for req too

when i was looking on the 25 man raid requirements , i found that only holy pally's required 100mp5. i know pally is the one class that doesnt need spirit on there gear and priest and druid usually have alot of spirit which in turn equils out to have alot of mana regen but what if its hard to get the regen bonus from gear from instence?

Wewt i almost meet the req ! i have the AP just need a trinket for the 20% crit! i think 100% fair for req too

Thanks Fox, I worked hard on getting those numbers balanced and to the point where you needed Kara and maybe a heroic to get the 25 man req. But at the same time it isn't nuts. The Survival spec is the hardest I think... but it is also the hunter spec that requires the hunter to home in on AGL and have really good gear.

well im about 70 ap away from kara raid spec! but i was wondering. how come if im behind on that y do i have 5% hit and almsot 19% crit? with 7.2k hp and 7k mana?

I noticed for shadow priests you want them to spec w/ 3/3 in meditation, however i don't exactly see that being a great benefit for myself as I have Vamp Touch, Shadowfiend with my current spec.
Alhana's Spec

With focused casting i gain substantial benefits if I'm hit by a crit as i can cast mind flay uninterrupted and i gain a 20% bonus to resist other interrupts such as fears and spell damages which i've noticed in boss fights that fear or do AoE splash damage I can continue to do damage while other casters or melee are running around from fears or lose casting time from AoE. I also noticed the 16% to Spell Hit which I think is a bit high considering Shadow Priests have Shadow focus. I can't remember the last time I had a Spell resisted or missed in a heroic instance or Kara. That's just my 2 cents on it.

Read the box to the bottom right of caster DPS, it explains that the 16% spell hit is a combination of gear AND talents, for shadow priests that includes 5/5 shadow focus so you only need 6% spell hit from gear alone. As for 3/3 Meditation, I think it's invaluable for the DPS race boss fights we are now facing, like Gruul and going to face in SSC, The Eye, etc. When you have to go all out on a boss, you won't be able to last for 10+ minute fights without some additional help like from Meditation.

I have no qualms with these requirements, but I do have questions. I am a little surprised there is no HP requirement for Warlocks, they have lifetap. Or no requirement for Imp Lifetap.

Last edited:
I looked at respeccing like this New Spec
With this I lose imp Fort but in a raid situation I wouldn't need it necessarily considering there should be Holy Priests in the group.

I looked at respeccing like this New Spec
With this I lose imp Fort but in a raid situation I wouldn't need it necessarily considering there should be Holy Priests in the group.
Shadow Priests usually do Imp Fort because the healing priests do the Spirit buff.

How are the officers going to be keeping track of who is ready?

For the pally tanks looking at the list and the 220 spell damage, start looking at finishing off Lower City or Honor Hold rep. They both offer purchasable main hands with 160 base spell damage. With +40 spell damage enchant and a couple of spell damage gems you should be able to hit that number without sacrificing to much mitigation. Or hopefully we start dropping Gruul and can annoy the other casters by rolling on the blade with 200 spell damage. ;)

Back