Natural Selection 2 - Who has it? Who wants it? ToJ NS2 chapter and server?

I've made it a personal policy to not take on any new server projects after the horror that was Mumble, so I wouldn't be configuring the server myself (though, given how much I <3 NS1 and NS2, the temptation is very strong).

And yes, I made an exception for setting up a TF2 Mann vs. Machine server, but I'd already worked with TF2 servers extensively and it was super-easy to set up (and I run it from my home desktop PC).

Maybe Joshinator, as candidate for NS2 Chapter Leader, would be willing to take on that duty (or delegate it)? :D

And it should be noted that any server that we don't pay to rent is marked as "Unofficial" because of past experiences. Marking a server as "unofficial" doesn't seem to have much impact on server activity, though, as our Minecraft server has been operational for some time now.

As for NS2 server player counts, 16 is considered standard. We could start with fewer slots and see how the hardware handles it and how much bandwidth it uses.

Renting a 16-slot NS2 server will cost from ~$34 to ~$45 a month. With 4 new $10/month donors, we could easily rent a server. But we can certainly see how we manage with an unofficial server first. Might be best to go with an unofficial server first before plunking down $35-40 a month.

And keep in mind that prices may drop once NS2 becomes more popular and there's more companies hosting servers. (More competition typically leads to lower prices.)

hardware isn't going to be the issue..i've got plenty. Bandwidth is the only constraint. Right now i'm sitting on 50/10 but i do have things QOSed well so we are going to have to start small and tune things from there..:)

welcome..:) Just need someone to get it configured the rest of the way..:) i'm sure josh has that facet under control one way or another..:) Once it's done i'll be on it..:)

NS2 is one of the Daily Deals today on Steam. A single copy costs $10 and the 4-pack costs $30, bringing the price per copy down to $7.50. It's an awesome deal!

ok i ahve the server 2008 instance built and config information has been passed to joshinator..AND accessing it is easy peasy.. just need a modern web browser..:)

BTW here's the relevant stats for the communities information:

You have effectively a single core xeon 3430 @ 2.4 ghz(i've guaranteed this server one full actual core's worth of ghz), 1 gig of ram with bursting available to 2 gigs and 128 gig hdd with 117 gigs available The os is server 2008 enterprise R2 SP1.

Last edited:
one limitation of hyper-v 2 is i can't pile more than a core ghz without adding a core..:) Otherwise i could throw 4.4 ghz at one care..<G> I'm not willing to have to run windows 8 to get hyper-v 3..bleh. If i get the dough i'll buy a real raid card and convert to vmware..:)

Last edited:
Steam has it in the "Community Choice" for voting right now (one hour left). 60% off if it wins. I'm going to look for the 4-pack thread, and post it there too.
Edit: Nevermind, it lost.

Last edited:
I've played a few games on the unofficial ToJ NS2 server now and I haven't encountered any issues.

Server address is hescominsoon.dyndns.org.

You can join the server by launching NS2, hitting the ` key (next to the 1 key on most keyboards), typing connect hescominsoon.dyndns.org, and pressing Enter.

Back