Natural Selection 2 - Who has it? Who wants it? ToJ NS2 chapter and server?

Is there any difference in the games?
Required use of the mic is pretty much the top reason I would never play but for a few keys I might try it out. I love playing with friends on TF2 and L4D2. I'd love to play more with ya'lls.

Wofleman, I don't think there is any difference. They are just cheap because there are a lot of gift copies available.

Also, a mic is not strictly required as long as you don't try and command. The commander on each team needs to be pretty vocal but it's not necessary for the individual players. It's nice to have a mic, but you'll be fine without one.

Bassman is right having a mic is not required. As long as you don't try to command you should be able to get by. Having one does help though. Having to stop and type things can hurt. Of course the best commanders don't need to be told much.

On one game I was "the guy" but not the commander that pointed out the enemy was not repairing their base power node leading to our immediate victory. I is so happy about that :) and a mic helps doing it. Of course the opposite point is no one on the enemy team spoke up to warn them.

...and yes I am bragging :p .

Last edited:
OK, I skipped the 5 pages of posts, but I just wanted to drop in and say that I've tried out NS2 for an hour or so of play now and I really enjoy it!

I'm really wanting to join y'all... just can't spend the $ right now. So if y'all see it going on sale, please let me know. :)

Last edited:
I had to play without a mic for a few nights and I personally feel the game is much more fun now that I have a working mic. I feel I'm much more helpful to my team. As with most games, my aim is lousy (especially since I'm playing from the couch on a 46" HDTV), but I can play a support role (e.g. calling out enemy locations, welding exosuits as a marine, healing onoses as a gorge) well enough.

So who besides Shadetaker still has an extra copy?

do you need a copy tek?
I don't, no. I pre-ordered back in 2010.

But I know there are at least a few ToJ members who are interested in playing the game that are either waiting on NS2 to go on sale (and it looks like those people will be waiting at least a little longer) or hoping to trade another game for NS2.

I and other ToJ members are really enjoying the game so far and I know NS2 would be even more fun if we had more ToJ members playing with us (and even MORE fun if we rented a ToJ NS2 server :D).

i preordered as well..does toj have a server?
Not yet, but I would very, very much like for us to run one. Trouble is, it'll take ~$30 a month to do so. Maybe now that NS2 is on sale for a Steam Flash Sale, more ToJ members will buy it and we'll have sufficient interest (and donations) to rent a server.

two questions:

how much disk would a linux ns2 server take? how many users do you want? I have a server in a datacenter that if the disk space requirements aren't bad we can run one there...start with 10 users on a password for cga members only..:) if i have the bandwidth left over we can go bigger.

if my business takes off i'll shift the sucker to my house on it's 10 meg connection(can't do that right now..data caps..(blar))

Last edited:
ok folks anyone interested? I'm building the linux vm right now..:) I'll get the base steam install done....

I'm working 2nd shift this week, but seeing as today is Friday, and the world didn't end. I'll be installing it when I get home.

alrighty then the base install is done..:) once tek gets back i'll send him the login details and he can delegate or configure the badboy himself..:)

Back