Natural Selection 2 - Who has it? Who wants it? ToJ NS2 chapter and server?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Four questions:

Who has already purchased Natural Selection 2?

Who plans on pre-ordering NS2 or buying it shortly after launch (October 31)?

Is anyone interested in leading or helping run a Tribe of Judah NS2 chapter?

Are people interested in donating toward renting a NS2 server?

I <3 NS1, so I pre-ordered NS2 what seems like a very, very long time ago. I have it installed on my new-to-me PC (now with a SSD!) and I am eagerly anticipating the official release so I can have more ToJ members to play with.

I would very much like to see a ToJ NS2 chapter and server, but can't commit to leading a chapter at this time (that, and I think the last chapter I officially led was StarCraft, circa 1999).

Looking at my Steam Community page for the game, I see Keero, Patriot, Shadetaker, Gerbil, Whon, and imbrucy already own NS2.

Also, I know a few of our members have an extra copy of the game because they (like me) pre-ordered it way back when and were recently sent a gift key from Unknown Worlds (developer of NS2) as a show of appreciation. So if you're super-frugal (again, like me) and the $25 price tag turns you off, consider posting an offer to trade another game (or TF2 keys or something of value) for a copy of NS2.

Or maybe one of the people who have a spare key will run a giveaway or contest or something.

I've been asking around about interest for NS2 on TF2 nights.

I might, MIGHT give away my extra copy but I have not decided. The best candidate to receive my extra copy was, Cereal Piller (if I remember right) having shown interest and saying he was a fan since NS1 so he knows what he'd be getting. Thing is he is not in the clan so I was holding out for a Toj (hmmm maybe I can bribe him :p). Regardless I'm not going to give it away to just someone who wants a free game that will collect digital dust per se. I'd want genuine interest and someone who would actually use it. Otherwise I might sell it once the market stops being saturated and the game releases spiking interest.

OR to earn the game I could create a series of challenges each more fiendish than the last Mwhahahaaha! I could call it the STEAM WINTER SALE... er wait that has been done...

...and no I am not going to run a NS2 chapter sorry. I'm in this for the Tek ganking... ur... em I meant "saving" yeah "SAVING" >.> <.< :p (BTW I have never seriously just targeted you Tek I would not do that).

Last edited:
If anyone has an extra gift copy, I am willing to make a paypal/game gift deal to purchase it.

I'd be interested in playing with you fellas.

Um... I was thinking kinda a I buy a game, then trade it to you type thing (or steam wallet). I don't believe I have any games in my inventory... lol.

I'm not the most well versed in how all this steam trading stuff works. lol

Those interested in the game should watch this to get an idea of it.

EDIT: Here are the NS2 requirements for easy viewing. No point getting a game you can't play. Surprisingly (and lucky for me) fairly moderate requirements compared to most modern games.

Minimum:
Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.6 ghz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 9 compatible video card with 1GB, ATI X800, NVidia 8600 or better
DirectX®: 9.0
Hard Drive: 5 GB HD space

Recommended:
Processor: Core 2 Duo 3.0 ghz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 9 compatible video card with 1GB, AMD 5770, NVidia GTX 450 or better
DirectX®: 9.0
Hard Drive: 5 GB HD space

Last edited:
I have it. I have played it once. I had a bad experience in NS1 when I was told by my commander to NEVER pick up the HMG ever again. My brother is big into it so I will probably be playing it off and on.

No time to run a chapter and no money (i.e. too cheap) to help pay for a server. That being said, I might be encouraged to play with a bunch of believers from time to time.

NS2 E-mail said:
For 1 week longer, you can get the NS2 Deluxe Edition for only $25 (it will be $40 after Tuesday).

I am guessing there will be a cheaper non-deluxe version after release but if it will be as cheap as it is now remains to be seen.

Um... I was thinking kinda a I buy a game, then trade it to you type thing (or steam wallet). I don't believe I have any games in my inventory... lol.
It wouldn't necessarily need to be a conventional trade.

How do you feel about leading a ToJ chapter? :D

I have it. I have played it once. I had a bad experience in NS1 when I was told by my commander to NEVER pick up the HMG ever again.
I'm sad to hear that, but I'm not surprised. NS1 had a small but dedicated community and learning to play commander well demanded time and patience (it seems the commander in your tale was sorely lacking in the latter).

From what I've seen of NS2, Unknown Worlds wants to make the game more accessible to new players while not alienating (har har) NS1 veterans. NS2 will inevitably have a steeper learning curve than your "point and shoot" YAMS (Yet Another Military Shooter), but in the years since NS1, I have not found any game able to create a similar experience (with the obvious exception of NS2). In other words: You won't just be able to pick up and play NS2, but it is, in my (informed) opinion, worth the little bit of time it takes to learn the basics.

In NS2's favor they have supposedly actually added a "learn the game" mode. One of the first things I noticed back when it was in alpha/beta was the extreme learning curve for the command chair and that I wished I could learn it offline. Now you don't have to fear jumping in as you can fiddle with building things to your heart's content and get that Starcraft apm training without ever dooming your team :) .

It wouldn't necessarily need to be a conventional trade.

How do you feel about leading a ToJ chapter? :D

Assuming that I find the game enjoyable (which I believe I will), I wouldn't be against leading it. I'll have to think about it.

If I were to, however, I'd definitely need some help (GAEM NIGHTS) until about the second week of November (competition season, so not as much game time), which I am sure can be provided.

I'll see.

In NS2's favor they have supposedly actually added a "learn the game" mode. One of the first things I noticed back when it was in alpha/beta was the extreme learning curve for the command chair and that I wished I could learn it offline. Now you don't have to fear jumping in as you can fiddle with building things to your heart's content and get that Starcraft apm training without ever dooming your team :) .

I should probably try that, because I jumped in a game two days ago and was about as out of my element as can be.

So I will play either NS2 or GW2. Gerbil you gonna play GW2? And will GW2 still be played around Christmas time?

This is more a deal of I only have really time for 1 or 2 games and I tend to play for the fellowship more than the game.

Last edited:
I should probably try that, because I jumped in a game two days ago and was about as out of my element as can be.
I wholeheartedly recommend checking out the tutorial video before playing for the first time. I'm the type that prefers to just jump in and learn as I go, but NS2 is complex enough (though not needlessly so) that it's worth spending a few minutes watching a video that covers the basics so you're better prepared to be a good teammate. :)

So I will play either NS2 or GW2. Gerbil you gonna play GW2? And will GW2 still be played around Christmas time?
I think it's safe to say that GW2 will be popular for quite some time.

This is more a deal of I only have really time for 1 or 2 games and I tend to play for the fellowship more than the game.
It's very, very likely that GW2 will remain more popular than NS2 for quite some time. NS2 is one of those games that I'd love to see many ToJ members play and I do anticipate gathering a core group of NS2 players from among ToJ's ranks, but GW2 is crazy popular and Legacy of Elijah, our GW2 guild, is very, very active.

GW2 will be played for years by large amounts of CGA and some TOJ (that you know) but not by me. MMOs are too time consuming and I have an OCD thing about not finishing the first one. Well really it's about that stupid legendary survivor title. I'd never be able to play the sequel without continually thinking of my failure to get it.

NS2 is more of a niche game. It is a good game but as things stand right now how often we play together will be dictated by how often Tek decides to get guys together to play it, sorry Tek but it's true. Of course if we get more guys in, a chapter leader and a game night that could change some but it is unlikely.

If you know you like the game play in GW2, both PVP and PVE, than it has more replay value and people to play with hands down. I mean just look at the forums it's no contest what people will play most. Get GW2 over NS2. The only drawback to GW2 is you may play it to much.

EDIT: As Tek said watch the tutorial NS2 video too so you can even decide if you like the gameplay.

Last edited:
Back