Linux v. Windows v. Mac v. whatever

their store closed up..their products are sitll available in serveral online and brick and mortar outlets.

All snarkiness aside, can you actually buy linux based games at major retailers?

I see a MAC and PC section, but no linux section, although honestly, I obviously don't go out of my way to look for one. I can think of only one major retailer that would/could possibly have a linux section and that's Fry's.

Quake4 just requires the executable to be downloaded from their site. most of the major games using the unreal engine or by id software (doom3, quake) have native executables. also savage is a good mix of fps and rts, I may buy savage2, the original was quite fun.

Quake4 just requires the executable to be downloaded from their site. most of the major games using the unreal engine or by id software (doom3, quake) have native executables. also savage is a good mix of fps and rts, I may buy savage2, the original was quite fun.

So no good, current games? :)

Interesting article Windows is NOT linux, you may not understand it as much as me, tho, it does make a large number of good points :p
Linux is NOT Windows said:
Windows "Power Users" frequently have more problems with Linux than people with little or no computer experience, for this very reason. Typically, the most vehement "Linux is not ready for the desktop yet" arguments come from ingrained Windows users who reason that if they couldn't make the switch, a less-experienced user has no chance. But this is the exact opposite of the truth.

Also from the article...

The highly-vocal MS-haters, pro-Linux zealots, and money-making FOSS purveyors might be loud, but they're still minorities.

If you really just want Windows without the malware and security issues: Read up on good security practices; install a good firewall, malware-detector, and anti-virus; replace IE with a more secure browser; and keep yourself up-to-date with security updates. There are people out there (myself included) who've used Windows since 3.1 days right through to XP without ever being infected with a virus or malware: you can do it too. Don't get Linux: It will fail miserably at being what you want it to be.

Looks like I'm set!

I actually am going to help develop our own, a bunch of gentoo users are starting up their own mmo*, this will be interesting.

Besides OpenGL + Cg > DirectX

He wasn't saying he was less rude, he was saying he was less of a fanboy.

There is nothing wrong with anybody because they choose to use Windows. I hope to see no more posts that negatively characterize people because they use a particular OS. That kind of argument is not only insulting and off-topic for this thread, but also illogical:

1 - Sample OS is a deficient/inferior operating system
2 - People use Sample OS anyway
3 - The people who use Sample OS must be deficient

Widely argued, regarding Windows? Yep. Seems logical? Maybe. Is it logical? Nope.

If you have to express your disapproval of an OS, please direct it to the software itself, not the people who use it.

Paul

Last edited:
Back