Linux v. Windows v. Mac v. whatever

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
If you want to talk about which operating system is best and why, do it in this thread. Stop de-railing other threads.

Posts praising one OS or slamming another will find a new home here so we can keep other threads on-topic.

ok I will go ahead and post why I hate microsoft :p

1) It is a inferier product, microsoft knows this and does little to fix this, they are just staying in the game to make money
2) it has security breaches all over, I have not seen a microsoft program without a security problem yet
3) the majority of civilization uses it and as such has tainted their views of how a quality product should look like, as such windows is lowering our quality of work.
4) microsoft does not comply to any standards, look at active directory it used to be LDAP but has been so twisted it doesnt even comply any more.
5) its networking layer is horrible, the firewall is laughable.
6) the basic install of microsoft WILL get infected in a short period of time, so its a race to patch up your machine with a fresh install
7) .net, programmers who use visual studio (almost a necessity to program in windows) can program completely without looking at their code, as such when a problem arises they have no idea where to begin
8) windows cannot run for extended periods after a few days of doing server load, it goes nuts
9) you have to restart over and over and over and over and over, *nix only needs to restart on firmware/kernel updates.
10) the configuration for anything good is hidden away in the registry never to be found.
11) btw did I say I hate the registry?

lol i agree linux by far is better cept M$ can game better and easier so for now till wine is easier to use, xp wins

Until ATI, Logitech, and Belkin make drivers for Linux that have the same features and dependability of Windows, I must remain a slave of Gates. I like Linux but I just can't get it to work very well with the stuff that I want it to work with.

Hmmm...if MS sucks so much, how did they manage to post a net profit of $33.6 billion last year?

They have to be doing SOMETHING right, right?

I understand you don't like windows, but that doesn't mean linux is a perfect fit for everyone. NO o/s is a perfect fit for every user in every situation.

As it stands, linux can not, does not, meet the needs for the majority of computer users.

VK, since you are familiar with linux, can you give us an objective look at the disadvantages of linux for an average computer user?

my windows box is on for atlest 5 days at a time most times about 4 weeks and i never never restart...ya..and i use to fold wich takes up 100% cup at all times

have you ever run mapguide on iss with the isapi module? its stability sorta sucks.

of course that is with a maximum of 40-60 users, so it can get bogged down alot.

I'm a Windows user and a new linux user. I'm the family guru for just about everything and, have at least a basic understanding of most computerish subjects.

Windows does have some advantages over Linux. But I think, in my opinion, those advantages are really symtoms of some of the probelms I complain about most. The reason I'm currently trying to "switch" to Linux is Microsoft charges me around $200 for the OS I use with them, and I cannot even share it with my wife. I'm a lowranking under paid geek at the moment, and buying their software so I can continue my own education and even relaxation is hard to do. Expecially as often as it is necessary (I wanted to want Halo 2, but I don't want to buy Vista...)

But the money they get from me just for buying their stuff, and then for supporting it, allows them to form a business standing that allows them to have a business standing where they can make sure that there are drivers for all the popular hardware, and that if a game is going to be made, it will likely be made with Windows compatibility in mind first. For the Windows user, this means if they actually have any money left from upgrading the OS on all their computers, they can then have the newest and flashiest software and hardware to go along with it, like Halo.

Also I think Software compatibility gets too much play in terms of the ups and downs of making this choice. In my several attempts at getting started at knowing Linux, what has always stopped me has been hardware problems, the first of which being that I had a Winmodem and it was designed to only work with Windows. Lately, as recently as last night, I was struggling to get my wifi access to work with linux. And now it does, but not the way I want it to, so I can't be "hardc0re" and boot into text mode, as that stops certain scripts from running.

The average computer user, in my experience of doing many degrees of tech jobs over the years, really wouldn't be able to handle Linux. It has hardware compatibility issues, there is too much diversity to find correct documentation easily, and many other points of confusion; not to mention that the game all your friends are playing isn't available. However, that doesn't mean it should. I would really like to see Microsoft take a hit to their growing manopoly soon. Not because I hate Bill Gates, but because if Linux could grow to something more able to hold a market share, the corperate community would have to justify why it is going to charge you money for their product, and the only way I see that ending is to have the product become better.

While WindowsXP has run fine for me on my high-end-mediocre machine, I still have to run at least six applications to make sure everything is secure and updated. My linux installation runs a lot more efficiently, just because must of that security interest is built into the core of the operating system, and if it isn't, it will be the next time I run my update. People laughed at Lindows, but I like the idea of getting some corperate funding behind a user-friendly version of Linux. Competition is what made America great, and Microsoft just doesn't have any competition as far as Operating Systems are concerned.

And, for the record, in my playing around Suse Linux seems to be a fairly simple and easy to install version of Linux. It installs as easily as Windows, and comes with lots of software. If you don't have any funky hardware issues, you could get setup rather quickly, if you were willing to spend some time reading and clicking.

I only have 1 runlevel that is accesible, I purposly disabled single-user so that people cannot override my passwords.

suse is ok for newbs, you can even use the yast web thingy, and they have a fairly decent cli yast tool for getting stuff back up.

what is really laughable is reactOS, reverse engineering windows ftw.

I'm going to avoid commenting on this thread, but many thanks to Tek for creating this thread. *head stops spinning*

wow its amazing that someone can reengineer windows with just 64mb, how in the world does microsoft get close to 1.3gb?

Back