Linux v. Windows v. Mac v. whatever

ah but many users can benefit from knowing linux, I certainly do, and anyone in the IT field can benefit greatly from understanding and knowing how to deploy linux.

Sure linux doesnt look very tasty, but what if you want to set up a home theater system, should you plork down ~150 bucks on mce? or go with a mythtv/linux box?

The idea is that there is choices, to give credit to the idea that most people at satisfied with windows is a false impression.

I have a friend who you would consider a "regular" user, he has a linux system in companion with his windows box. I didnt set it up for him, by his free will chose to try linux, and loved it.

To say that the average user can only use windows or osx is stuipid. If that user feels the advantages, outweigh the learning curve, they can and will switch.

Also for the record, you computer doesnt have to be purely linux or windows. They will live happly together but in different partitions. This is how my desktop is usually setup. On bootup you will be presented with a colorful menu to choose which OS to use.

My laptop lives in peaceful harmony with osx/linux dual boot. For the most part an operating system will totally ignore the other unless you purposly point it toward the other. You can install as many operating systems as you want :p

My case is that no, I am not trying to make people switch, but rather there is an alternative and I love it. It works great for me and I believe it is a superier offering to anything m$ offeres and is free to boot.

ah but many users can benefit from knowing linux, I certainly do, and anyone in the IT field can benefit greatly from understanding and knowing how to deploy linux.
Most people aren't interested in going in to IT, so that's not a 100% valid statement.
but what if you want to set up a home theater system, should you plork down ~150 bucks on mce? or go with a mythtv/linux box?
What about Mac users? They've got Front Row already installed on Macs. Why should they make their own linux box just to run MythTV?

Plus, with iTV coming down the pipes, I think the demand for MythTV will go down for the average consumer.

What about Mac users? They've got Front Row already installed on Macs. Why should they make their own linux box just to run MythTV?

Plus, with iTV coming down the pipes, I think the demand for MythTV will go down for the average consumer.
alot of windows users are against macs, *cough*. people will have their own preference, those who did splurg before itv will probably continue to use mythtv, just because they know how to use the software, and its not bad either.

and also where is the tv/recording interface for front row? myth sorta beats frontrow up in that category... I just uninstalled frontrow because I didnt need it :p

and also where is the tv/recording interface for front row?
It's non-existant. But when you can buy over 220 shows off of iTunes for $1.99 per episode and with cable/satellite prices soaring, who needs recording/time shifting features? Just get it from iTunes, and watch it on your computer, iPod or your TV, and keep it forever. And it works on both PC and Mac.

with that lovely drm we all love and enjoy. I would rather pay 50 bucks a month to get *unlimited* tv, with the ability to play the tv in the background, which I like when I am working.

To say that the average user can only use windows or osx is stuipid. If that user feels the advantages, outweigh the learning curve, they can and will switch.

Also for the record, you computer doesnt have to be purely linux or windows. They will live happly together but in different partitions. This is how my desktop is usually setup. On bootup you will be presented with a colorful menu to choose which OS to use.

I wasn't suggesting that a computer user CAN be limited to one o/s, I'm saying there's not a NEED to have more than one.

WHY should I need to have linux AND windows on my machine?

I work on a computer all day long at work, the last thing I want to do is come home and do more work. Windows lets me do all I need, there simply isn't any NEED for linux. Not for me, and not for the majority of computer users out there.

I am exercising my free will NOT to install it. I don't want it, I don't need it, I won't use it.

You have yet to tell me, or anyone like me, why we should install it. Take your Fanboi cap off for a little bit, I think it's pinching your brain :)

I can come home from a nice long class, sit down and enjoy linux. Its not work and no play :p for instance, this ran out of the box with wine, a lovely emulator:

http://sakkaku.googlepages.com/Screenshot.jpg
http://sakkaku.googlepages.com/Screenshot2.jpg

the first one was running full screen but I forced my panel to the forground to take a screen shot, the second one has a second display to the right :p

I was just doing this to test some rendering on my lappy. All i did was install wine and start up gw :p

yes, youd sorta expect that, considering that was what they compiled it for :p

of course all the programs written for linux run extremely great, on practically any hardware... same cant be said for windows on p3 <800mhz

that and linux is awsome at multitasking, I can be compiling and playing a dvd with no stutter, same cant be said for windows at 100% cpu.

Yeah...I don't remember seeing a copy of CoH for linux at Best Buy.

Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing any games for linux at Best Buy. :)

funny, you must have a horrible system, I managed to get steam server up and running for a project in my house. It ran fine on a p3

Last edited by a moderator:
you know what vibrokatana stop beaing so rude to hcs i can tell you for a fact he knows just as much as your if not more

Umm, HCS ran a 10 slot cs1.6 server on a p2-350 with 256 PC-100 ram just fine.... several years ago.

the posting in this threads needs to be a LOT nicer, starting now.

If the baiting and rudeness doesn't stop immediately i will close the thread and start handing out punishments.

last I checked I had the freedom of free speech and you dont have power over me.

VK - Actually, on CGA you don't

Let me throw this out...Have you considered the environment in which you are deploying the Windows machines? For new users, Windows definately provides for an easy of use that Linux and other Unix based derivates do not. Linux provides a stability that Windows does not. I really do not have a prefered OS. It all depends on what is needed at the time. I was recently introduced to Knoppix and LOVE it. But, I can't imagine running a variety of applications on it.

IMO, a healthy blend of the two (or three, or four) would be the best. Do you want to limit ones exposure to technology (by limiting to one OS) or provide as many options as possible so that the end user can meet their objects?

Gen

Back