Your best choices from the Steam sale...

Madballs in Babo:Invasion is on sale for $1.99 today. I highly recommend it. It's probably my favorite Steam sale purchase so far, supports online multiplayer, and feels like a cross between Smash TV and Marble Madness (which is a very good thing).

I'm digging The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom so far. At $2.49, I'd recommend it.

EDIT: Blast. TMOPBW may have SecuROM attached. I'd recommend investigating before purchasing.

EDIT: Okay, it doesn't list SecuROM on the TMOPBW product page on Steam, but that doesn't carry much weight, given that they didn't list SecuROM on the Borderlands page, either. So now I don't know what to think. I'd hate to have to uninstall the game the same day I purchased, downloaded, and installed it. :(

EDIT: There is evidence of SecuROM attached to the Winterbottom install:

Blast it all. Planning on uninstalling and finding an alternate SecuROM-free installer.

Last edited:
Isn't Steam just like SecuROM in a way? :p
Only in that it's an anti-piracy measure. Steam actually adds features and introduces far less (possibly zero) risk of damaging driver installs to the point of requiring you to install a few copy of your OS.

Last edited:
Only in that it's an anti-piracy measure. Steam actually adds features and introduces far less (possibly zero) risk of damaging driver installs to the point of requiring you to install a few copy of your OS.

Oh yeah, I forgot about all the SecuROM crap...

Before anyone goes and buys Borderlands today, remember: The base game does show evidence of SecuROM attachment and two of the game's three DLC packages most definitely do. So yes, you can buy the base game and hope that it doesn't have the nastier type of SecuROM, but you're going to need to be willing to put your computer at risk to expand on the (arguably limited) replay value of the base game by purchasing DLC.

But if it's your computer, it's your call. You decide what software is a risk and what software isn't.

(This is XionTawa on my brothers account)

I plan on buying the 4 pack of Borderlands, against Tek's judgment :p , I played Borderlands on the 360 and LOVED it...and the 4 pack on steam for PC is $30...I MIGHT not have anyone to give the 4th to...and would probably be willing to sell it for like $5 or so...if I don't find someone I know who wants it...

The reason I am ignoring the whole SecuROM warning is because I am co-op game junkie, and when it comes to co-op games, I find Borderlands better than just about any co-op FPS out there...

But it will be about 2 hours before I buy it...so anyone else out there that really liked borderlands...?

If you do buy it make sure to get that Knoxx DLC, it's awesome. :)

(This is XionTawa on my brothers account)

I plan on buying the 4 pack of Borderlands, against Tek's judgment :p , I played Borderlands on the 360 and LOVED it...and the 4 pack on steam for PC is $30...I MIGHT not have anyone to give the 4th to...and would probably be willing to sell it for like $5 or so...if I don't find someone I know who wants it...

The reason I am ignoring the whole SecuROM warning is because I am co-op game junkie, and when it comes to co-op games, I find Borderlands better than just about any co-op FPS out there...

But it will be about 2 hours before I buy it...so anyone else out there that really liked borderlands...?

The main game had secure-rom added after release in an undocumented (shady) update however it is unconfirmed that it is active. I never got a secure-rom dialog window when installing it (which I've heard there is on the DLC) so I think it does not actually activate until you install one of the DLC's with it. As far as the DLC goes Knoxx (the only one I have) does not have secure rom in it while the other two do.

Of the DLC Knoxx offers the most play time. Of the remaining two the Mad Moxxi one is more important as it adds a bank feature which is annoying to go without if you get Knoxx. So the order of importance (to buy) is Knoxx, Moxxi, and lastly Dr. Zed IMO. Just informing you.

Also a tip on the Knoxx DLC, unless they patched it, Knoxx's weapon stockpile can be farmed an infinite number of times as long as you don't activate the timer and beat the mission it's in. The stockpile is in the mission you beat Knoxx in just look at the first minute and a half of this vid (don't need to watch further really) before the mission to learn the trick. Anyway if you are on the second playthrough you'll want to farm some good weapons before completing it as Crawmaxx (who gives the best weapons in the game) is after Knoxx and exceedingly tough to beat legit.

As far as liking the game it had a nice weapon system (though it still has flaws) and I liked the art style but the game felt budgeted in every aspect. What you get out of the game will be entirely based upon how much of a loot monkey you are. I wish they had added content (and a better multiplayer system) to actually use your hard earned weapons on. As far as moral content there are a couple crude comments that are supposed to be funny, some cuss words, and some over the top blood and bodies exploding. There is not much in way of story so that limits the crudeness content greatly. Online play (co-op) was horribly broke when I tried it back when but I believe they fixed it before I stopped playing (if I remember right).

Last edited:
I already own copies of Half-Life 2 and Day of Defeat: Source, but I'd recommend both (especially HL2, for the 5 people in America who still don't own a copy) to anyone who doesn't own either. Even if you don't play through the excellent HL2 single-player campaign, owning HL2 will give you access to some excellent mods--all for less than 3 and a half bucks.

I ended up uninstalling DoD: S, but only because everyone who still plays the game is better at it than I am. Also, I can play even the (allegedly) best semi-realistic shooters for 30 minutes at a time, max. Any more than that and I start to get bored. "Arcade"-style shooters, for me, are where it's at.

Still, can't go wrong with DoD: S for 2 and a half bucks.

Next steam sale games are up. Mount and Blade is one of them and I'm puzzled as to why anyone would want the original game when Mount and Blade Warband was supposed to add new features and graphics. I thought the second one had everything the first had and more?

Also I started playing Freedom Force a couple days ago and although I haven't completed it I'd definitely recommend it to a silver age superheroes fan for $1.87. :)

Of the DLC Knoxx offers the most play time. Of the remaining two the Mad Moxxi one is more important as it adds a bank feature which is annoying to go without if you get Knoxx. So the order of importance (to buy) is Knoxx, Moxxi, and lastly Dr. Zed IMO. Just informing you.

Also a tip on the Knoxx DLC, unless they patched it, Knoxx's weapon stockpile can be farmed an infinite number of times as long as you don't activate the timer and beat the mission it's in. The stockpile is in the mission you beat Knoxx in just look at the first minute and a half of this vid (don't need to watch further really) before the mission to learn the trick. Anyway if you are on the second playthrough you'll want to farm some good weapons before completing it as Crawmaxx (who gives the best weapons in the game) is after Knoxx and exceedingly tough to beat legit.

As far as liking the game it had a nice weapon system (though it still has flaws) and I liked the art style but the game felt budgeted in every aspect. What you get out of the game will be entirely based upon how much of a loot monkey you are. I wish they had added content (and a better multiplayer system) to actually use your hard earned weapons on. As far as moral content there are a couple crude comments that are supposed to be funny, some cuss words, and some over the top blood and bodies exploding. There is not much in way of story so that limits the crudeness content greatly. Online play (co-op) was horribly broke when I tried it back when but I believe they fixed it before I stopped playing (if I remember right).

The Island of Dr Ned DLC offers 2 more opportunities to expand your inventory slots. I've been able to get these for all my characters on the first try. For the Knoxx DLC, I haven't been able to get one yet. And speaking of the Knoxx DLC, the content is more questionable than before. There's more sexual innuendos with Mad Moxxi, General Knoxx uses the GD word at least once. When meeting Scooter the first time he uses Jesus in a not very appreciative sentence. As Mighty Gerbil stated, there is a way to infinitely farm Fort Knoxx via a glitch. I've done it a couple times.

The Island of Dr Ned DLC offers 2 more opportunities to expand your inventory slots. I've been able to get these for all my characters on the first try. For the Knoxx DLC, I haven't been able to get one yet. And speaking of the Knoxx DLC, the content is more questionable than before. There's more sexual innuendos with Mad Moxxi, General Knoxx uses the GD word at least once. When meeting Scooter the first time he uses Jesus in a not very appreciative sentence. As Mighty Gerbil stated, there is a way to infinitely farm Fort Knoxx via a glitch. I've done it a couple times.

Yup Knoxx adds more crudeness than what was in the first game. There is the whole bi-sexual Shank character arc too >.< . Oh I don't think there are any inventory slots to be gotten in Knoxx if I remember right making the bank even more useful to the jillion weapons you'll collect. I farmed Knoxx 56 times so if you don't have the bank two or four slots more from the DLC ain't going to be enough if you want to keep a copy of all the "neat" but not actually useful weapons. I just backed up my save files regularly so I still have my "neat" weapons they are just spread over several files :/ . Of course if you only want to keep the best weapons you can go without a bank IMO .

On another subject here are my 2 cents on Freedom Force so far.

Good
* Excellent and likable silver age comic characters.
* Good voice acting.
* Fun and intuitive game play. No random encounters. Each character has their own distinct powers which will change how you play depending on who you take.

Bad
* Any challenge is directly related to how much you charge into things. Keep your head and aggro the enemies one at a time and it's too easy (on normal difficulty)
* Dated Graphics (but then it's been out since 2002).
* A few small graphical bugs.

The voice acting good quality for the most part, appropriate to each character and carries the story over the dated graphics.

Morally it's very positive. The worse thing I've encountered so far, in my two days of play, is the female "magic" character and her "Goddess". She's got that whole Wonder Woman "Hera give me strength" vibe going on. There is no language and all the heroes act like heroes. Normally I'd love Minuteman's unflinching patriotism and fight against communism but it's actually depressing considering America's current state :/ .

Although it's a different, more limited game I keep thinking of Chrono Trigger while playing this and that's a very good thing. Buy it now if you have 2 dollars and any affection for silver age comics and rpgs!

Last edited:
Back