Wrist pain sucks.

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
As many of you have likely already read, I have been experiencing some rather severe pain in my right wrist and hand. I went to see a doctor yesterday and I have a series of tests scheduled for March 13 in the afternoon.

I've been making changes to ease the pain:
  • I purchased and have been wearing a wrist brace.
  • I've switched from using a mouse with my right hand to using a trackball with my left hand.
  • I've installed and started using Workrave on both my work notebook and home desktop PC. (I plan to install it on my personal notebook as well.)
  • I've limited my time on the computer in the last week. I want to spend time more online, but the pain is a rather convincing reason to stay away from the keys.
If anyone else has any suggestions for ways to battle carpal tunnel syndrome, please share it here. I'm guessing I'm not the only one in the community who has experienced this kind of wrist pain.

This might sound a little lame, but is your diet healthy? Eating the right foods can have a durastic change on how your body battles certain "annoyances."

I put a thick towel under my wrist and arm while using my computer. Set your chair to its highest positition.
ps.I also found that when i slept I was crushing my hand sideways. Keep it flat when you sleep.
My BroNlaw had carpal and had to have sugery and it fixed him right up.
I'll be praying for ya Tek.

This might sound a little lame, but is your diet healthy? Eating the right foods can have a durastic change on how your body battles certain "annoyances."
My diet could use some improvements, certainly, but I try to eat healthy as often as possible and I only drink one soda a week (on average, sometimes less often). I'll be sure to ask the doctor for suggested changes to diet when I go in for my tests, though.

Another thing that might help is getting some weights and lifting them with only your wrists. I'm not too sure though (check with the doc). I know some problems are only solved by beating on them.

Tek, if you hit yourself in the shin with a big hammer the pain in your wrists WILL go away, true story :p

I had wrist pain years ago. When I switched to a Microsoft natural keyboard the pain left.
When I first started working on an IT helpdesk a few years back, the length from my elbow to my fingertips was numb and tingling. I switched to an ergonomic keyboard (took me about 4 hours to adapt) and I've loved ergonomic keyboards ever since.

I agree, it makes a significant difference. If I use a flat keyboard or notebook keyboard for more than 5 minutes, my wrist starts hurting.

Tek, if you hit yourself in the shin with a big hammer the pain in your wrists WILL go away, true story :p
Then what will I do about my shin pain? :p

I think you hit yourself in the wrists with a big hammer. But then, you'd have to hit your shins to make your wrists stop hurting, and then you'd... gah. F'rget it.

yeah know, i heard medical marijuana goes along way too ;) lol jk

ergonomic keyboards

Weird Al said:
My ergonomic keyboard never leaves me bored.

051104_NaturalErgonomicKeyboard4000.jpg

The only image that came to my mind after hearing "ergonomic keyboard" was Weird Al's "White and Nerdy" music video. So I grabbed a pic for clarification :D

ZOMG ITS THE LEGENDARY JAMMER7 !!@!@!@!#!@#Y$*%^$%%&O&#^%@

Now im feeling even older... thanks Atown :p

Thats easy, get BIGGER hammer, preferably a sledge with a long handle, hold it tight right at the end of the handle, then lower it towards your melon... you wont be able to hold the weight back and then bam! youre out cold and no more pain..... for awhile anyway. Feel free to email me for some more fine home remedies ;)

jammer7

Now im feeling even older... thanks Atown :p

jammer7

hmmm yeah see heres the thing.... halonic is like the only person here older than u rofl. but yeah u never call, u never write, we never see ur post hardly, ur post count is .4 per day i mean comeon, i havent seen u for a looong time

hmmm yeah see heres the thing.... halonic is like the only person here older than u rofl. but yeah u never call, u never write, we never see ur post hardly, ur post count is .4 per day i mean comeon, i havent seen u for a looong time

Haha! I think im aging quite well actually ;) lol. Just an FYI , I am slowly getting back into gaming again, yes its strange, but true. So with that said I will probably start hangin around a bit more.

As for Teks wrist pain, I know all to well about it, my wrists are shot from the work I do and have done over the years. I can see surgery in my future but at least thats an option ;) Although the wrist pain pales in comparison to what I went through late last year and earlier this year, but thats another story for another time :)

jammer7

I have the symptoms of CTS (Carpel Tunnel Syndrome) in both of my wrists, more so in my left wrist then the right. I lose feeling in my hands after long sessions on the computer. Simply ignoring it has worked for me for the past few years :)

Back