WHO IS EVERYBODY?!

I'm T.J. My Guild Wars names are in my signature block. I'm 30 years old and currently live in a place that some of you may have heard of called Nebraska. I'm from Texas but the good old US Air Force shipped me up here and I have yet to make it back home. Halonic (Randy) is my dad. Ummm...let's see...oh, and I like collecting dyes, long walks on the Krytan coast, and making things go boom in a little town called Karkand. :)

My name is real life is Todd, I am 30 years old and married for nearly 12 years. I have 3 children, 12, 7, and 5. I am a soccer fanatic, and coach a U12 (soon to move up to U13) team. I am also going through seminary, and have served in the past as a pastor (though I am not currently in such a role). My ultimate goal is to go into missions I think, but I want to be rather well degreed before I head to the field because of the sort of work I am looking to do.

I have gamed for most of my life, and used to play DAoC, EQ, AO, and SWG. I had taken a break from MMO's for a couple of years actually, but then my son got into WoW and now we're splitting time on our account :cool:

Salutations My name is ol on, (hey what was my name again oh yeh) Dale Allen.I live in Bartlesville ok and work Tulsa ok. Married with alot of kiddo's and only pnut and I game.The ladies think we r goofy hehehe at least the shoe fits....Age ah ah just say old.RISL!!!!My lady's name is Kris and she is wonderful wOOt...I play cs ol school...Come play!!!!

RISL, FLS, TN3!!!!!! WOOT THE WOOT! <3 for the Slim

astrod00d said:
I'm T.J. Halonic (Randy) is my dad.

My dad's name is Randy too! *rofl* Is it short for Randolph? :p This is great, getting to know ya'll! Thanks so much for posting! Anymore things to add are just fine and dandy! God Bless!

*Starfire*

check it

Tek's bio was really interesting to read, but I didn't actually sleep last night (too much internet) so I may be biased.

My real name is a bad pun, but it isn't appropriate (my dad has an odd sense of humor). I'm a junior college student type living in the wonderfully rainy city of Pittsburgh, where I know abosolutely nobody who I also know online.

Recently I have been rather absent from GW, but my reason is that finals are coming up in two weeks and I recently acquired a little game called Oblivion. I am currently 52 and a half hours into Oblivion with my furthest character, so I've played it for about 80 hours in the last 3 weeks. My computer was actually out of commission for 6 days in the middle there, so it was more like 2 non-consecutive weeks. See, the thing about Oblivion is that it's basically infinite. Fans of the game can make additional quests, areas, enemies, etc. indefinitely forever and ever so the game never ends. Never ever ever. Ever.

Can you guess what I've been doing while my flatmates slept? My preeeeecioooouuusssssssss.

Tek7 said:
I'm apparently the only person my age to know that rap music started out as spoken poetry that challenged social institutions, often by means of clever satire.
You might like these guys (use the little arrow to scroll down if you want to hear them). They're Christians who make rap music that's not "we're better than you" or "we have more money than you", it's actually got intelligent lyrics. If anyone thinks rap has to be crappy and mindless, give this a listen.

Last edited:
My real name is Erik, and I recently moved from Des Moines, IA, to Houston, TX. Big change, but I'm lovin' it. I work for KSBJ, a premier Christian radio station in the US (just won the Dove award for Major Radio Station market this year). Work in IT there. I've got an awesome wife who's only flaw is that she doesn't care for video games. We have three shorties who are amazing, cause a lot of stress, and take up a ton of time, but they're the best gifts God has ever chosen to bless us with.

Games I play: CS 1.6, CS:S, GW, WoW, HL2, BF2, BF2:SF, and once in a while I bust out Diablo 2 again for old time goodness.

Killerah said:
You might like these guys (use the little arrow to scroll down if you want to hear them). They're Christians who make rap music that's not "we're better than you" or "we have more money than you", it's actually got intelligent lyrics. If anyone thinks rap has to be crappy and mindless, give this a listen.

YEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! LOVE RAP! Tobymac rules! :p

Starfire said:
HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This is way cool! LIke, Ira, I had no idea that you were Thrawn! Or...Thrawn, I had no idea that you were Ira...are Ira...WHATEVER! This is making me feel so much better. :p Thanks for all of your interest in this thread! It was driving me up a cyber wall. Not to mention over! :p Anything more? I enjoy listening...errrr, reading.

*Starfire*

Haha, yeah, I have very little consistency in my names. I think the only thing that is remotely consistent is that Ira Hagen and Summer Moran are both characters from Clive Cussler novels (Dirk Pitt was taken... :( :mad: ).
Hopefully my two factions characters will be a little more easily recognizable. :)

Tek said:
I'm apparently the only person my age to know that rap music started out as spoken poetry that challenged social institutions, often by means of clever satire.

Listen. To. Original Pirate Material by the Streets. (even though it's technically garage)

Or Pete Rock and CL Smooth's Mecca and the Soul Brother. (released 1992)

With those exceptions, 1980's hip hop > modern day hip hop.

And if you like instrumental hip hop, you might like this mix I made.

BTW, I dispise all forms of rap music...you can't spell crap without rap...and I listen to classic rock and some old country (i.e. Charlie Daniels Band)...

I also dispise Hip-Hop/Punk/anything that isn't rock...and none of that new rock crap either...

Last edited:
[toj.cc]phantom said:
I also dispise Hip-Hop/Punk/anything that isn't rock...and none of that new rock crap either...
Does that include jazz and blues? Because several Led Zeppelin tracks have a strong blues influence.

Does that include old country? Because then you'd have to chuck a few Eric Clapton tracks ("Lay Down Sally" comes to mind) because of their strong country influence.

Does "new rock" include groups like Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band, which are reminiscent of Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn?

Do you dismiss R&B as well? Then you would probably have to toss out most of Eric Clapton's "Pilgrim" album.

For that matter, do you include Pink Floyd in "classic rock"? If so, then you can't immediately dismiss electronica. Tracks like "On the Run," featured on "Dark Side of the Moon," set the stage for the genre (at least as I understand it; kraniac will likely correct me if I'm wrong).

I know these comparisons, especially the last one, are a bit of a stretch, but I think you see where I'm going with this. You shouldn't dismiss an entire genre or an entire nation's or culture's contribution to an art form without listening to a wide range of music within the genre, nation, or culture. Even if you don't like a genre (and I admit, there are a few genres I don't especially care for), calling it "crap" or saying that you "hate it" limits your exploration of new music and your opportunities to discuss music with others.

</offtopic>

Tek7 said:
Tracks like "On the Run," featured on "Dark Side of the Moon," set the stage for the genre (at least as I understand it; kraniac will likely correct me if I'm wrong).

Nope, he's right. Pink Floyd + post-disco music like Grandmaster Flash or Frankie Knuckles + Kraftwerk sort of all mixed together in a mid 1970's and 1980's soup, and when it coagulated, it formed into house, techno, and hip-hop. House kept the basslines and dancing, techno kept the psychedelia and minimalism, and hip-hop kept the beats and skratching.

My musical rule is that I'll listen to pretty much anything once.

Also, I think there's a distinction to be made between enjoyment and appreciation. I can appreciate the form, complexity, and ideas of traditional East African ceremonial drumming, or Schoenberg's highly influential (and highly dissonant) Pierrot Lunaire, but it is well beyond my musical powers to enjoy them. Everybody has musical styles that they will naturally gravitate towards, and when you're driving in your car or playing video games, that's what should be playing in the background. But the music that you listen to when you want to listen to music... that should be almost anything on the musical map.

The difference comes from the fact that music is experienced on both a mental level and a visceral level. Music that is written to be enjoyed mentally is formal art music, and should be totally free of preconceptions of the listener. But popular music, in the widest sense that I can apply the term, is primarily a visceral experience and it is popular music that can cause pigeonholing of one's tastes. That isn't a statement against popular music, because it is still useful and able to be enjoyed, and without it we would be less able to experience the visceral appeal of music. But if we don't listen to formal art music, we're missing out on half the music experience.

Last edited:
Starfire said:
Yeah, basically looking for info such as who's who's wife
I'm my husband's wife. Does that help? :D

Well, you know me from GW, but some people don't, so here goes.

My name is Dea, I'm thirty-two, and I'm married to Paul-Dorkelf. I play Guild Wars. I ocassionally (once in a blue moon) play Diablo II, just because.

I haven't met anyone here in RL yet, except of course my wonderful husband. Someday I hope to actually meet some people, but no one seems to be coming to DragonCon, so it probably won't be anytime soon.

I'm a graphic designer and a book artist, and a Middle Eastern dancer. My blog's address is included in my sig.

Oh, and I live in (suburban) Atlanta, Georgia, with two cats and my hubby!

Tek7 said:
Does that include jazz and blues? Because several Led Zeppelin tracks have a strong blues influence.

No, blues is fine, jazz is alright, I just mainly dislike rap, all the other stuff I said, I don't like mainly because it is starting to sound like rap. Another reason is that I just can't enjoy that kind of music as much as rock.

Tek7 said:
Does that include old country? Because then you'd have to chuck a few Eric Clapton tracks ("Lay Down Sally" comes to mind) because of their strong country influence.

Nah, I said in the post that old country is fine, actually, thats what got me started on rock...

Tek7 said:
Does "new rock" include groups like Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band, which are reminiscent of Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn?

No I like Kenny Wayne Shperard, infact I saw him in concert with Ted Nugent and ZZ Top.

Tek7 said:
Do you dismiss R&B as well? Then you would probably have to toss out most of Eric Clapton's "Pilgrim" album.

Personally, I really don't like Eric Clapton.

Tek7 said:
For that matter, do you include Pink Floyd in "classic rock"? If so, then you can't immediately dismiss electronica. Tracks like "On the Run," featured on "Dark Side of the Moon," set the stage for the genre (at least as I understand it; kraniac will likely correct me if I'm wrong).

I do like Pink Floyd, but only a few songs, so its not like I'll go buy a whole CD...

Tek7 said:
I know these comparisons, especially the last one, are a bit of a stretch, but I think you see where I'm going with this. You shouldn't dismiss an entire genre or an entire nation's or culture's contribution to an art form without listening to a wide range of music within the genre, nation, or culture. Even if you don't like a genre (and I admit, there are a few genres I don't especially care for), calling it "crap" or saying that you "hate it" limits your exploration of new music and your opportunities to discuss music with others.

I just can't get into 'new' music. Personally I think it stinks, others migh not, but I do. I get sick of hearing people listen to it over and over again, and to me it just sounds the same. And although it may limit my 'choices' I'm just fine with the music I like now. And listen to anything at least once? That sounds like a good rule, but I've already listened to my share of rap music, because thats all the bus driver plays...but I don't ride the bus any more...and as for the others stuff such as punk/Emo/anything like that, my sister listens to enough of that 'stuff' to make my ears bleed. So when she turns it up as loud as she can...I crank up some Ted Nugent or Led Zepplin or Lynyrd Skynyrd...

Last edited:
Well coming into this thread a bit late, but here goes.

My real name is Gabriel, hence the Arkanjel refrence, I go by Gabe. I headed up the Warhammer team, o how short lived it was. I like to play RTS and a few others. When it comes to posting in the thread im usually the one who has either the way out in left field comment , or the comment nobody really wanted to hear. I see that this thread has also drifted off topic a bit into the music realm so Ill throw in my 2 cents. I havent purchased a CD in a long time, mostly cause my company truck doesnt have a CD player, but I did just buy the new Matisyahu CD "Youth". matismusic.com Its great, you definetly need to read his story. :D

I love music wOOt just play on, me really like ac/dc dirty deeds dun dirt cheap hehehehe but me is ol school n luv so much music I can't post all of m but yep me a rocker a country a blues and woot bluegrass and of course gospel...

Back