What does your character's name mean?

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
Since I've developed a reputation for putting a great deal of thought into names for my characters, I decided to start a thread for everyone to post the meanings behind your characters' names.

I'll get us started.
  • Ulfbrikt: Old Norse name meaning "wolf + bright"
  • Ithildin: Named after "a silver-colored substance, which mirrors only starlight and moonlight." The name also means "moon-star" in Sindarin. (Source: Dragon Flame.)
  • Teyarmen: Adaptation of the Gaelic word "tèarmunn," which means "sanctuary, refuge, protection."
  • Yiska: Navajo name meaning "the night has passed."
I rolled a Gnome Mage earlier tonight, leveled him to 6, and ran him to Ironforge, where he'll sit and serve as my personal bank character. I intend to venture out of Ironforge and resume his adventuring career at some point, but right now Ulfbrikt and Ithildin are getting the bulk of my attention.

My first choice for a name was "Heliotrope," which is defined as "any of various plants that turn toward the sun" (Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition). I thought the name was perfect for a Gnome Engineer and the pun ("sun," "Son") would be appropriate for a character in a Christian guild.

Unfortunately, the name was already taken, so I set to work with my favorite online Latin-English Dictionary. Here's what I came up with:
  • Spenser: A play on the Latin word "spensa," meaning "storehouse."
I also felt the name was fitting for a Gnome Engineer.

And yes, today is the first day in about a week that I've had a chance to relax. :D

"kraniac" is a play on "craniac", the AI opponent from a DOS game I had waaay back on the first family IBM in the late 80's-early 90's, on a 5.25" floppy-- Hexxagon. (Check the main menu screenshot and you'll see what I mean)

"Untilted" is the name of an album by Autechre and a wonderful word that naturally makes you see something besides what it is.

"Confield" is another Autechre album that I had as an alternate on Cenarius but I deleted him because I don't like playing Priests.

Expanded to include my most commonly used names:

Male names:
Corin - the younger brother of Cor the heir to the Archenland throne in The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis.

Philippi - One of the cities that Paul visited during his missionary travels.

Female names:
Charis - The princess of lost Atlantis from Taliesin of The Pendragon Cycle by Stephen R. Lawhead. It is also the the greek root word for our word "charity". In the bible the majority of the time "grace" is used, the greek root is "Charis".

Bria - The wife of the main character in The Dragon King Trilogy, also by Stephen R. Lawhead.

Pacifica and Zephyris - Characters from the anime Scrapped Princess.

Miriallia - my own creation, no idea what it means, but I like it ^_^. Mirichan and Miriachan are derivations from this, the -chan suffix is Japanese denoting generally a child or a familiar younger acquaintance. (I believe, if I'm wrong, Mituba, correct me!!)

Actually my family nick name is Toad, My mother said she called me that because I would always squat when I was little and just watch everything around me with calm observation and interest but nothing escaped my scrutiny.

When my oldest son because a father much too soon, I did not like being called Grandpa. I am only 35. So my enduring mother started calling me PapaToad when my grandson was around, I figured when I started WoW, That it was probably a name that was unique enough to take with me to any server or game.

Dawife is even younger than me so she defiantly did not want to be called Grandma so she decided she would be Nana, so she even has a char named Nanatoad, and then there is Neno toad and Sonytoad, and I am sure as my daughters play the “Toad” family will expand.

Hopefully no more “Grand toads” until marriage and many years from now, I am shooting for Decades!

So there you go!

Osirys - Osiris is the old Egyptian god of the underworld. Which i named my warlock. I think its a pretty good name for a Warlock.

Odale - I dunno. Oddbob was the original name of my friar in Daoc, then Mythic happily renamed him for me (thanks...)

Klangdon - Thasten made that name up for me.

Bannard : Name of Head Elf in the movie "The Santa Claus". Nickname: Barnyard
Avesther : Total creation, I like the fact nobody knows the proper pronounciation of it. I think I've heard 8 different ways of pronouncing it, all of them could be right. Nickname: Ave, or Avy

Gods_Peon said:
...Avesther : Total creation, I like the fact nobody knows the proper pronounciation of it. I think I've heard 8 different ways of pronouncing it, all of them could be right. Nickname: Ave, or Avy
Icthus keeps calling Osirys Oriface.

Last edited:
Odale said:
Icthus keeps calling Osirys Oriface.

lol.

Tebran was completely made up. I've got a few nicknames.. Tebby, Teb, Newbran.

Takehiko is Japanese for "brave, wise child". I chose it after deciding to level a new alt, my mage.

Writhan is another one that is made up, but I combined and slurred words to make this one. It's origin is "right hand", as in helper. He was a character I was using in a fictional story I was starting, but I stopped writing because it didn't turn out very good. Sometimes my great ideas don't translate to paper very well, lol.

Icthus- Greek for fish
Used by early christians as a symbol of a house of worship. Yes those same fish that are on the back of cars.

Alhana is from the Dragonlance series of books, Alhana Starbreeze a Silvanesti Elven Princess.

Gnimish is a Gnome from the same series who was transported to a dungeon with Tasslehoff Burrfoot a kender and later Gnimish was killed by Raistlin Majere.

Esma was a mage from the same series of books.

Theros was a Human Blacksmith in the series.

Allyria is the supposed "god" from season 5 of Angel, who took over Fred(Winifred's) body.

Last edited:
hmm..Sassperilla is actually just a type of drink that i read about when reading a western novel lol but in actuality its just an old recipe for root bear

Khaldris, actually Kahldris, is a general of the Akari people from the Eyes of God series, he led many to battle and slaughtered thousands, he was banished by the great Akari race, who were generally peaceful. Think Night Elves. Kahldris died centuries before his race was exterminated by a closeby civilization. Before he died he made a shining black armor and put his soul into it. It was called the Devils armor, which makes the wearer invincinble. Centuries later in the series, he is considered a god of War.

"Azzie" was meant to be a cuter, milder, less dark form of the name "Azrael."

"Azrael" is, according to Jewish holy texts (extra-biblical), the Angel of Death, probably the passover angel that killed the firstborns in Egypt.

rather morbid, eh? ;)

Azzie said:
"Azzie" was meant to be a cuter, milder, less dark form of the name "Azrael."

"Azrael" is, according to Jewish holy texts (extra-biblical), the Angel of Death, probably the passover angel that killed the firstborns in Egypt.

rather morbid, eh? ;)

errrrrrrrrr. ya.

well, it's meant to be a cuter version anyway, but I did try using "Azrael" at first, but the name was taken.

Amaziah means "the Lord strengthens"... I thought that would be a good name for a paladin...He was also a king of the Tribe of Judah which i found out after I made the name... Thought that was cool...

Back