What are you reading right NOW??

Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners

Okay, major recommendation to everyone: anything by Chaim Potok. I've read The Chosen, The Promise, My Name is Asher Lev and The Gift of Asher Lev thus far and they are simply great books.

Now I'm reading a book by a heretic named Brian McLaren called A Generous Orthodoxy...it's good for critical reading, but be careful with such things.

Grace and Peace,
David

I've been meaning to check out some Chaim Potok books. Not long ago, I happened to catch a movie on cable, "The Chosen". It was so good. I really enjoyed the insiders view on the zionist movement from 2 different Jewish perspectives. Plus it was just good story telling.

I'm reading:

GRACE ABOUNDING TO THE CHIEF OF SINNERS
In a faithful account of the life and death of John Bunyan
Or
A brief relation of the exceeding mercy of God in Christ to him
Namely
In His taking him out of the dunghill, and converting him to the faith of His blessed son Jesus Christ. Here is also particularly shewed, what sight of, and what troubles he had for sin; and also, what various temptations he hath met with, and how God hath carried him through them.
http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext96/gacos10h.htm

I'm reading Ender's Game right now, fantastic book that I somehow never got around to reading (the next will be The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, which I'm sure I'll love as well). I'm also about to start Falling Free, the first of the Vorkosigan novels by Lois McMaster Bujold. It will be the seventh novel I've read in that series just over the past few months - they are pretty short but absolutely great.

Paul

I"m reading Prince of Havoc, another one of the amazing Solaris VII stories from the Classic Battletech line...

I'm reading Ender's Game right now, fantastic book that I somehow never got around to reading (the next will be The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, which I'm sure I'll love as well). I'm also about to start Falling Free, the first of the Vorkosigan novels by Lois McMaster Bujold. It will be the seventh novel I've read in that series just over the past few months - they are pretty short but absolutely great.

Paul

Yeah Enders Game is amazing, but don't stop there, I just finished Ender's Shadow (story occurs parallel to Ender's Game from Bean's perspective, it's really neat and not redundant), Shadow of the Hedgemon, Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of the Giant which all occur in sequence after what happens in Enders Game, from Beans perspective. The whole series has been great.

I have finally got around to reading A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, just starting it now.

Ok I was lucky enough to get a uncorrected bound copy of "The Gone-Away World" by Nick Harkaway. Could not have enjoyed it more. For those that can get past the somewhat frequent swear words and the frequent of tangent "look how smart I am" sections I would highly recommend.

Great Read. Think it comes out this Month.

I just finished House (by Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti) for the 2nd time...it's a great read, and coming to movie theaters soon... :)

As of tonight I'll be reading The Tales of Beedle the Bard. And as of tonight I'll probably be done reading it, as well. SO excited... just bummed that it's short.

Ah, no spoilers please! I asked for it for Christmas. I've really been looking forward to it.

As for what I'm reading?

I just finished two books by Rob Bell - Sex God and Velvet Elvis.

Sex God is an awesome book.... because this is about that. (you'll see). It seems like it was primarily written towards unmarried people that are considering marriage, but it's a great book for everyone mature enough to read a book about sexuality and spirituality - and how they work together.

Velvet Elvis is a great book as well. It explores what it means to be a Christian.

My next book after Beedle will likely be Jesus Wants to Save Christians, also by Rob Bell. But I guess it depends on what I get for Christmas :)

For me, I just recently finished Stardust by Neil Gaiman and I've been working through Fragile things also by the same author, and he is a rather interesting author.

Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors. Dating back to the Sandman series comics and one of the best piece of fiction I've ever read, Neverwhere. I also believe Stardust was WAY better as a book than a movie.

Game of Throne series by George Martin and The Last Voyage of Columbus by Martin Dugard. Dugard's book is non-fiction and is based on "the epic tale of the great Captain's fourth expedition, including accounts of mutiny, shipwreck, and discovery." I didn't know a lot about Christopher Columbus before I read this book, but I've grown to really admire the man. I have a great appreciation for the author who tackled an amazingly complex subject and has written a wonderful, detailed account of Columbus' journey. The author can undoubtedly be commended for including deep context (historical, economic, and societal) into an exciting and competitive adventure.

Last edited:
I just finished The Song of Albion series by Stephen Lawhead. It's a fictional trilogy. It crosses a lot of Celtic lore with obvious Christian overtones.

I have mixed reviews. The books were incredibly well-written. Lots of interesting backstory to explain Celtic lore, lots of adventures. The ending to the trilogy felt rushed though, as if he actually had about 10 more chapters that he wanted to write (to help explain the adventure he was on) but constrained himself to 3 and 3-3s chapters (39) to fit into the lore of 3 being a special number. So the story just ends. There are some wierd relationships that are never explained, events that have an "oh, by the way, *this* happened a while ago" feel to them.

But that's all in the last few chapters of the 3rd book. Overall the series is still very interesting and his descriptions make a much better world easy to picture. The "Mind's Eye" definitely gets a workout with this one.

I also read Tales of Beetle the Bard. I was a little sad to see that one of the stories was recycled - The Three Brothers. Obviously, anyone that read Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows will have seen this tale already (sidenote: if you haven't ready HPatDH, why would you read Beedle?) Anyway, I like that even in literature based on literature, there's a moral to the story.

I also like how Rowling decided to give 100% of the profits from the sales of the book to a company that looks out for poor kids and takes care of them. Warner Bros is already trying to figure out how to make a movie from Beedle. I hope they decide to give a hefty chunk of the profits to charity as well.... but I doubt they will.

Back