URGENT: Do not log into GunZ until further notice

$hane said:
His character got deleted?
Aye, the second character I created, Zygmunt, was deleted by hackers using the Locust Plague hack. I re-created the character and he's back to level 2 now. Gudlaug, founder of clan TribeOfJudah, was not deleted.

Master~Plan said:
what? did someone say safe?! woo hoo
Ehhh~ I wouldn't say it's safe yet. If you have a high-level character, go ahead and keep him or her on the shelf for the time being. Start a new character and party hardy, but wait until at least until after January 1 to see if the Locust Plague hack resurfaces. In other words, if you're attached to your character and don't want to lose him or her, do not play that character until further notice.

It's true that the original hack was written for the 11/24/05 executable. The following quote was taken from Locust.txt, the text file that accompanies the Locust Plague hack:
Q: Will this work with K/JGunZ?

A: No. 'Locust Plague' v1.0 is made for 11-24-05 release of International GunZ only.
This doesn't mean that the hack author, HolyForce, won't re-write Locust Plague for the new version. HolyForce's alleged purpose in writing and publishing the hack was pushing MAIET to fix several key vulnerabilities in GunZ code. Another quote from Locust.txt:
== Why release 'Locust Plague'? ==

MAIET, the company which owns GunZ, has failed to address several high-risk exploits within GunZ. The intent of 'Locust Plague' is to get enough people exploiting one of these risks, character deletion, so that MAIET is more/less forced to take action. Also, it's kinda fun.
The patch notes didn't include mention of anti-hack measures. If HolyForce wrote the hack once, I wouldn't put it past him to tweak it for a new executable.

NOTE: I have never used the Locust Plague 1.0 hack. The Locust.txt file was available separately from the hack on HolyForce's domain. The file is no longer available as the domain now forwards to the home page for a popular UT2004 mod.

As much as I hate hacking, as I have had my fair share of run'n with cs, I must admit that Holyforce does have a point... not sure about having the hack a public release, but if MAIET thinks their program is safe from cheats he showed them otherwise....

MAIET..... HolyForce just put you in check now how are you going to get out if it?????

Back