The Trinity

Again, this is from the lds web page:

Who is Jesus Christ?

Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He was the Creator, He is our Savior, and He will be our Judge.

Under the direction of our Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ created the earth (John 1:10; Hebrews 1:2).

When Jesus lived on the earth (approximately 2,000 years ago), He led a perfect life. He taught by word and example how people should live in love of God and others.

Through His suffering in the Garden of Gethsemane and by giving His life on the cross—that is, by performing the Atonement—Jesus Christ saves us from our sins (1 Peter 2:21) as we follow Him. Because of the Atonement, you can be forgiven of your sins when you sincerely repent (Book of Mormon, Mosiah 26:30).

Through His Resurrection, Jesus Christ saved us from death. Because He overcame death, we will all be given the gift of resurrection (Acts 24:15; 1 Corinthians 15:22). When life on this earth is over, Jesus Christ will be the final Judge (Acts 17:31; John 5:21–22; Acts 10:42).

That doesn't sound anything like what you're talking about. I hope you can understand my confusion.

How can Christ be the Creator and not be a deity?

Here's a good quote that illustrates just how heretical the Mormon Church is:

Mormon beliefs are considered to be so far outside the beliefs of most Christians that both the Roman Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church have both declared that Mormon converts must be rebaptized, a setback to the Mormon Church's effort to characterize itself as a Christian denomination.

I can see where your confusion is coming from, however, I'm telling you that the Mormons do not believe that Jesus is God. That's the problem, that's where they differ with the true Christian Church, the true teachings of Jesus, the true teaching of the Scriptures.

I have to be honest is saying that I don't see denominations. Not to say that they do not exist and that there are differences, however, there are defining and essential doctrines that there can be no differences on, one of them being the deity of Christ. The Christian Church as defined by the New Testament is simply a body of called out believers. As long as someone professes Christ's deity and Salvation through Him only, they are following His teachings; they are following Him; they are His disciples.

edit:

In no way am I negating some of the doctrinal disagreements such as the pre, mid, post tribulation rapture...however, that doctrine, as an example, is not an essential defining doctrine such as Salvation, The Trinity, Inerrancy, etc...

Last edited:
Well now that makes sense. If you don't see Christianity as denominations, I can see why you hold a very tight definition of Christianity. That answers a lot.

So according to you, Christians that do not believe in the Trinity aren't, well, Christian, correct?

I am still stumped over this Mormon thing though, I have been looking all over their website and I have found nothing to support their belief that Jesus wasn't a deity. Quite the contrary acutally.

I don't want to go as far as ever claiming someone isn't a Christian because I don't know where they are in their heart, only He does. I will, however, say that you cannot deny a teaching by our founder, Jesus, and call yourself a true disciple. One can say, "I don't know," or, "I'm not sure about that, but I'm prayerfully seeking the answers," but to say as the Mormon Church does the following:

1. Jesus is created.
Mormon Doctrine by
Bruce McConkie, pp. 192, 589

2. Jesus is the brother of the devil.
Mormon Doctrine by
Bruce McConkie, pp. 192, 589.

3. Jesus is one of three gods.
Mormon Doctrine by
Bruce McConkie, p. 319.

4. Jesus is not prayed to

5. Jesus did not pay for all sins
(Doctrines of Salvation by
Joeseph F. Smith, Vol. 1, p. 135)

You already see the discrepancies that is found in the book of Mormon ( a book they hold above the Bible) as compared to what you have posted from their site. For every point above, there's a Scripture verse that exposes the fraud:

1. Jesus is uncreated
(John 1:1-3; Col. 1:16-17)

2. Jesus is not the brother of the devil
The devil is a fallen created angel.
Jesus created all things Col. 1:16-17.
Therefore, Jesus is not the brother of the devil.

3. Jesus is second person of the Trinity

4. Jesus is prayed to
(Acts 7:60; 1 Cor. 1:1-2 with Zech. 13:9)

5. Jesus did pay for all sins
(1 John 2:2; 1 Pet. 2:24)

Any "Christian Church" that has such glaring inconsistencies and downright perversions of the Scriptures is nothing more than a heretical cult in my opinion and I pray for the opportunity to witness to them.

The term "true Christian" is not for any human to decide. The Bible has its commands, and humans should obey to their utmost, and have faith that God Himself will judge accordingly in the end.
Whether or not we are SURE this person or that person is a "true Christian" based upon doctrinal agreement shouldn't be the problem here. A person's relationship with Jesus Christ lies within each individual; whether they refuse to believe the deity of Jesus is completely their own choice, and what they call themselves (Christian, Mormon, Catholic, or otherwise) is, too, their own choice.
The truth of what each person is lies within each person's own heart, and only God Himself can see that perfectly.

In my opinion, Christianity for us is about each individual, not about the community as a whole. The former is all we can do; the latter is God's own work and deciding.

Indeed.

Well, as I said, I feel Christianity is about each individual...
So as an individual, that is what i believe. I cannot speak for others on what they believe.

While I do believe that ultimately God is the true Judge of our Hearts. Based on this response, being a true Christian can meet a whole range of definitions. I don't think there is that much flexibility.

Gen

If, as you are suggesting, that God will judge the heart of Christians and nonChristians alike, then why label people as "true" or "false" Christians. Who are you, as a fallible human, to judge who is a "true" Christian?

It seems to me that would go a LONG way to creating unity in your fragmented religion.

As you said, humans are falliable. Think about that in several directions. There are things we're supposed to do, and things we aren't. There are things we want people to think, there are thigns we don't. Would it help to say...sorry? :)

Indeed we do have a long way. That's why we're still working on it.

Back