The Octopus Rule

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
There are many ways we decide what games we want to play. We read reviews. We play demos. We watch gameplay videos on YouTube. We ask friends for suggestions.

While I still use all those methods, I have recently come to realize that there is one simple way to determine which games will catch my interest:

If there's an octopus in the game, then I want to play it at least once.

With that rule firmly established, I'm asking you, the CGA community, to post names of games featuring octopi. Note that the octopi can take any form: Living, friendly, antagonistic, tiny, giant, or even fried. Yes, if a game features takoyaki, I want to know about it.

I'll start us off:
  • Muramasa: The Demon Blade. Three words: Giant octopus boss. Could this game any more Japanese?
  • Octomania. A puzzle game based on making takoyaki sounds like a dream come true. Unfortunately, Octomania was, at least for me, a big disappointment.
  • Parodius (series). Because the only thing more awesome than a flying hamster is a flying octopus.
  • Spider-Man games featuring Doc Oc. I know, it's a stretch, I know, but it still counts.
  • Taiko Drum Master Wii: Everyone Party. I'm sad to say it, but this game is never going to see a US release. Which is a crying shame.
  • Yakuza 3. The game also features a karaoke mini-game. How could it not be awesome? Definitely not for the kids, though.
And Blizzard: I'm still waiting for aquatic pets in WoW. You know it's going to happen, so you might as well make it happen sooner than later.

Octopi...

Well any game with the Detroit Red Wings will have octopi, or at least reference. But then again, who likes the Red Wings??

Guild Wars has Words of Madness
150px-Word_of_Madness.jpg

They look octopus-ish.

Ogre Battle
SNES/PS1

You can have Krakens in your custom-made groups

Gotta try Guild Wars, Kraken boss in Luxon territory, plus smaller Kraken Spawn. And everyone wants Kraken eyes as a drop. And if you get tired of Kraken there is the jellyfish like Irukandji.

Golden Sun has the Kraken... Though if you own any kind of recent nintendo handheld you have already played the series.

City of Heroes, the special spwn of the port map(been a long time, wow, I can't remember it's name) is a giant octopus. Take no fewer than a full squid of 8...I mean squad.

Ogre Battle
SNES/PS1

+1 for kraken in Shining Force 2. Great battle surrounded by a raft, and that dude hits HARD compared to prior enemies.

This should be on the Sonic's Ultimate collection that you SHOULD already have on PS3.

Edit: WOW! Ninja'd! Neirai you are my hero!

Last edited:
Octopi...

Well any game with the Detroit Red Wings will have octopi, or at least reference. But then again, who likes the Red Wings??
People from Detroit?

/shrug

Guild Wars has Words of Madness

They look octopus-ish.
So do some of the vehicles in Unreal Tournament 3. Unfortunately, that doesn't make the game any better than UT2004.

Mega Man X features Ranchā Okutoparudo.

Use the Boomerang Cutter.
Mega Man X was indeed awesome. I...think I beat the SNES version when I was younger...?

Ogre Battle
SNES/PS1

Ogre Battle is one of those, "I should probably play that game some day, but the learning curves of SRPGs scare me and I haven't even finished Final Fantasy Tactics yet" games.

Still, I'll keep it in mind.

[toj.cc]phantom;404161 said:
Ultros - Boss in Final Fantasy VI
FFVI is an amazing game for so many reasons. The inclusion of multiple battles against an obnoxious octopus boss is only one of those many reasons.

[toj.cc]phantom;404161 said:
Kraken - Boss in Fable/Fable: The Lost Chapters
Oh, yeh, there's a PC version of Fable, isn't there?

Seems a bit dated to play Fable I when Fable III just released, though.

Still, I'll keep an eye out.

Gotta try Guild Wars, Kraken boss in Luxon territory, plus smaller Kraken Spawn. And everyone wants Kraken eyes as a drop. And if you get tired of Kraken there is the jellyfish like Irukandji.
I played Guild Wars, wasn't really feelin' it, and plan to play a demo or trial of GW2 once it releases. But I'm on a GW2 media blackout until then.

Golden Sun has the Kraken... Though if you own any kind of recent nintendo handheld you have already played the series.
I made it several hours into the first game, lost to the same boss a few times, and got distracted by another game. I guess I should revisit the series before (or, much more likely, after) Dark Dawn releases on the DS later this month.

City of Heroes, the special spwn of the port map(been a long time, wow, I can't remember it's name) is a giant octopus. Take no fewer than a full squid of 8...I mean squad.
I see what you did there.

With the exception of playing WoW for 30 days when Cataclysm releases (and then only to see what Blizzard does with the old world), MMOs are right out for now. There may be a day when I return to MMORPGs, but my budget, short attention span, backlog, and general disinterest in boring combat systems has me staying away from the genre for the time being.

Shining Force II for the SEGA Genesis (and WiiWare) has a Kraken boss. The game is well worth playing, but very dated.

+1 for kraken in Shining Force 2. Great battle surrounded by a raft, and that dude hits HARD compared to prior enemies.

This should be on the Sonic's Ultimate collection that you SHOULD already have on PS3.
I had planned on playing a Phantasy Star game first, but I may just play through a Shining Force game now. Thanks for the info.

Side note: Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3 is awesome. Any anthology that includes Streets of Rage 2, arguably the best brawler of all time, is awesome. Columns, the Sonic series, and other classics just sweeten the deal.

Speaking of the greatest brawlers of all time: Does anyone remember if there's octopus in any form in River City Ransom? I know the game featured sushi, but I don't remember any takoyaki.

Last edited:
i LOATHE the red wings.
QFT +1 /agree

It's a good thing Derk hasn't found this thread yet. He live in Michigan. Unfortunately I began respecting him before I realized he was a Wing's fan..

And are octopi actually that amazing? Didn't we have a thread earlier were we discussed what made a good game, octopus never came up then! I cry conspiracy!

PS. Tek, one of your quotes is wrong, I didn't say that third thing. ;)

oh, man.

who had to bring up the Wings. i LOATHE the red wings.

assassin's creed 2 has a giant squid
Squids don't count.

And I don't have the patience for stealth games. I blame countless hours of Doom 2. I would kill everything in sight, Elihu would find the exit (and occasionally blow up barrels I was standing next to). <3 co-op.

And are octopi actually that amazing?
Yes. I'm going to assume that question was rhetorical.

Didn't we have a thread earlier were we discussed what made a good game, octopus never came up then! I cry conspiracy!
To be fair, I did say it was a recent realization.

PS. Tek, one of your quotes is wrong, I didn't say that third thing. ;)
Fixed.

I made it several hours into the first game, lost to the same boss a few times, and got distracted by another game. I guess I should revisit the series before (or, much more likely, after) Dark Dawn releases on the DS later this month.

Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age were the only reason I bought a GBA. To this day I haven't bought any other games for the system and I still believe it was totally worth it. On a side note, the series was actually the first (and possibly only) game I ever totally went 100% completionist on (all rare items, all djinn, all optional bosses, all locations explored).

I am actually considering doing a repeat performance and getting a DS for Dark Dawn...

FYI for those who don't know, Golden Sun is developed by the same team that made Shining games back when they were good - Camelot Software Planning.

We need another real Shining Force sequel. One that isn't the Hajya 1 &2 without towns.

I am actually considering doing a repeat performance and getting a DS for Dark Dawn...
You mean you don't already have a DS? Such an awesome system.

If you're impatient and/or frugal, I recommend picking up a DS Lite. You might also keep an eye out on Black Friday DSi bundles.

If you want to wait until next March or April and spend considerably more, you may want to pick up a 3DS instead.

Either way, you can't go wrong. The DS is a great system with a massive library and an overwhelming number of terrific games.

Dynamite Cop
Ah, Dynamite Cop. Truly a slightly above-average game in a woefully sparsely populated genre (brawlers). I remember the octopus boss, now that I think of it. Good times, good times.

Resident Evil 5: Irving Boss, Uroboros (Excella) Boss.
Survival horror isn't really my thing. :(

On-rail shooters based on survival horror franchises are, apparently. <3 for Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles.

FYI for those who don't know, Golden Sun is developed by the same team that made Shining games back when they were good - Camelot Software Planning.
Camelot is indeed awesome. I didn't know they made the Shining Force games, though.

We need another real Shining Force sequel. One that isn't the Hajya 1 &2 without towns.
If the US is finally seeing titles in the Ys and Sakura Wars franchises, it's not unreasonable to expect a proper Shining Force sequel. The industry isn't what it used to be.

In 2008 (and 2009, and 2010), Nintendo refused to localize Soma Bringer (WHY, NINTENDO, WHY?). Yesterday, I bought Money Idol Exchanger on the PlayStation Store. In 2011, we'll see a US release of Hyperdimension Neptunia, a Compile Heart strategy RPG with anime girls representing video game consoles in a console war.

The times, they are a-changin'. Digital distribution, companies by gamers and for gamers (e.g. Atlus, MonkeyPaw, NIS America, etc.), and the sheer suckitude of popular RPG franchises (yes, I'm talking about Final Fantasy) in recent years has paved the way for even the most obscure games to see a stateside release.

YET NINTENDO STILL WON'T LOCALIZE SOMA BRINGER. What is WRONG with you, Nintendo? Seriously.

/deepbreath

What were we talking about again? Oh, right. Octopi.

If the US is finally seeing titles in the Ys and Sakura Wars franchises, it's not unreasonable to expect a proper Shining Force sequel. The industry isn't what it used to be.

In 2008 (and 2009, and 2010), Nintendo refused to localize Soma Bringer (WHY, NINTENDO, WHY?). Yesterday, I bought Money Idol Exchanger on the PlayStation Store. In 2011, we'll see a US release of Hyperdimension Neptunia, a Compile Heart strategy RPG with anime girls representing video game consoles in a console war.

The times, they are a-changin'. Digital distribution, companies by gamers and for gamers (e.g. Atlus, MonkeyPaw, NIS America, etc.), and the sheer suckitude of popular RPG franchises (yes, I'm talking about Final Fantasy) in recent years has paved the way for even the most obscure games to see a stateside release.

YET NINTENDO STILL WON'T LOCALIZE SOMA BRINGER. What is WRONG with you, Nintendo? Seriously.

/deepbreath

What were we talking about again? Oh, right. Octopi.

You think that's bad? How about the fact that I was introduced to the awesomeness that is Ys via the Sega hhannel. Speaking of awesomeness... how great was the Sega channel?

What's more, to add to what you said - how is it that we could stream awesome games via cable box in the early 90s, but now it's 2010 and I've got nothin'.

Back