TF2 has changed...

I really need to get another dedicated server operator to try some of this stuff out I haven't got the time to mess with it over mapping and modeling XD. It will just be a pain to find and train one it's easy to overwrite and mess things up.
If and when you want to appoint a TF2 Server Operator, just say the word, Gerbil.

I <3 Valve for keeping true dedicated servers alive while EA and Activision turn their backs on PC gamers, but man, it can be a headache to run a TF2 or L4D2 server.

Comparing the Loch'NLoad to the default Grenade launcher the Loch'NLoad does have it's uses however the default weapon is definitely more versatile.
Personal preference and play style. I get way more kills with the Loch'NLoad.

Hey Patriot are you still having issues connecting to other servers than Fish? I pm'ed Edac about Fish's server bug but he never responded if he fixed it.
I haven't tried connecting to ToJ's server recently. It's empty 95% of the time I am online. I can connect to the eGO servers without problem, but I always could before. The issue only arose with certain servers (ToJ being one of them).

Personal preference and play style. I get way more kills with the Loch'NLoad.

As you like. It's powerful no doubt I just don't find it as versatile.

I haven't tried connecting to ToJ's server recently. It's empty 95% of the time I am online. I can connect to the eGO servers without problem, but I always could before. The issue only arose with certain servers (ToJ being one of them).

Yeah we only get together on Tuesdays regularly.

I actually deleted the sourcemod plugin files which were causing it on my computer then connected to Toj ok. Then, with my computer in a working state, I connected to all four of Fish's servers. At the time they had an Eyeaduct server running and after trying to connect to it after the others I got the error. Conclusion it's totally their plugin because apparently their own Eyeaduct server didn't run it and had issues with it.

Last edited:
Yeah we only get together on Tuesdays regularly.
Oh, that explains a lot. Some months ago I tried to find and try out Christian TF2 servers. The ToJ server was one of I think three or four servers I found. But the only servers regulary active and full were The Fish. So I did not favorite any of the other servers.

But most of all, I really want to find some friendly L4D 1 & 2 environment to play in. TF2 has rude and obnoxious players too, but in general, they are easy to ignore and you won't come across that many of them. No random kicks either. L4D I hear, is another story.

Until they make L4D free or someone gifts me a copy, I won't be playing it. It's ok but I don't want to spend my money on it.

Oh, that explains a lot. Some months ago I tried to find and try out Christian TF2 servers. The ToJ server was one of I think three or four servers I found. But the only servers regulary active and full were The Fish. So I did not favorite any of the other servers.
The FISH servers tend to see more activity because they're included in the TF2 matchmaking queue (meaning that if a user clicks to "quick join" a server, it's possible they'll get sent to a FISH server). The ToJ TF2 server is not included in the TF2 matchmaking queue because we have random crits disabled. Everyone has their own preferences, of course, but both CC and ToJ, IMO, run great servers. :)

But most of all, I really want to find some friendly L4D 1 & 2 environment to play in.
Then be sure to join us on Wednesday nights at 8:15 p.m. Central for our Left 4 Wednesday game nights!

You can find more information about ToJ's Left 4 Dead Chapter on the L4D chapter forum.

The ToJ TF2 server is not included in the TF2 matchmaking queue because we have random crits disabled. Everyone has their own preferences, of course, but both CC and ToJ, IMO, run great servers. :)

Random crits rant:
I used to tolerate, not ever like, random crits thinking the chance comes around but I've gone completely over to loathing them. I played several rounds on pubs recently. When you are on a "special" team who cannot get out of spawn (with 3 non-class changing snipers go figure), you have more than double the score of the second place guy below you, get double teamed continually and then have "random" crits consistently kill you on top of that... well the rage you gets it XD. To our newer members, it's worth noting random crits aren't completely random either. Valve added an increase chance of getting them that ramps up the higher your score is. This means classes like heavy can exploit the system somewhat by spamming more. Without random crits he just runs out of bullets as his effect range is decreased. It also means if you are on a bad team your team members dying will power up your enemies by increasing their crit chance. It's so stuuuuuuupid.

Yay for our random free server!

Random crits give players without the huge skill set of some players a chance to evenly compete. I'd rather play on a server where I have at least a chance of killing some uber skilled player (GeneralSaudi) with a random crit than just die over and over because he is so much more skilled than me.

Random crits help more than they hurt in my opinion.

And that's why it's good that there are also Christian-operated servers that have random crits disabled.

That being said, it's my opinion that random crits have no place in a first-person shooter. I'd go so far as to say that random crits are a game design flaw in a FPS. If one team is getting dominated by the other, then it's time for a team scramble (which I know is not always effective, but it's the best option we have).

But again, I know not everyone agrees and that's why it's a good thing we have options. :)

Random crits give players without the huge skill set of some players a chance to evenly compete. I'd rather play on a server where I have at least a chance of killing some uber skilled player (GeneralSaudi) with a random crit than just die over and over because he is so much more skilled than me.

That's true the newbie can at least get lucky. Unfortunately the pro gets more out of them :/ .

I played several rounds on pubs recently.
Well there is your first problem. . . :D

I love and hate random crits. I love them when I get them and hate them when they are used against me. As with the absurd number of weapons, they are a part of the game and I deal with them.

Has anyone else been having issues after the latest update? Half the time TF2 hangs on starting when clicking "play" from Steam. I generally have to kill the steam process in the task manager and restart steam for TF2 to start normally. If I just quit then TF2 will hang again.

Then, when loading a server it has been locking up as I join (probably 75% of the time). This involves everything stops responding and getting an endless loop of the last split-second of sound that was playing. Sometimes I can ctrl-alt-delete out of the game to kill the process but most of the time I have to reboot the entire system as it never gives me control.

These issues happened occasionally before the update (perhaps 10% of the time) but now they are happening regularly (around 75% of the time). It's quite the frustrating experience.

That's true the newbie can at least get lucky. Unfortunately the pro gets more out of them :/ .

My experience is the people who know how to get the most out of them don't play where I play. My personal opinion is they do more good for the newbies in making the game seem more fun and playable (in that they don't get frustrated and quit) than they do the opposite. It's frustrating getting taken out by a random crit but it's so very satisfying to launch a crocket at a sniper who's been shooting me every time I come out of spawn or come around a corner or whoever has been killing me without me ever once being able to kill them. Knowing I might have a chance to kill them even tho we aren't on the same skill level makes the game less frustating and more fun. If I'm playing against someone I have no chance of ever killing because of skill levels, what's the point of playing?

And please don't tell me to just get better. Some people play at a level others of us will never reach. Not everyone is able to play at a professional level.

Has anyone else been having issues after the latest update? Half the time TF2 hangs on starting when clicking "play" from Steam. I generally have to kill the steam process in the task manager and restart steam for TF2 to start normally. If I just quit then TF2 will hang again.

I've always had a problem with TF2. It hasn't gotten any worse with the new update. But I have had the issues you mention.

Last edited:
And please don't tell me to just get better. Some people play at a level others of us will never reach. Not everyone is able to play at a professional level.

I'd never do that Wolfy :) . I've never been pro and don't think I ever will with my eyesight/reflexs or lack thereof. People shouldn't have to play at a pro level to play a game and have fun.

/still dislikes random crits. Though now that I think about it I was never hot on them in any game genre, even rpgs, so it's probably just me.

Well there is your first problem. . . :D

I love and hate random crits. I love them when I get them and hate them when they are used against me. As with the absurd number of weapons, they are a part of the game and I deal with them.

Then, when loading a server it has been locking up as I join (probably 75% of the time). This involves everything stops responding and getting an endless loop of the last split-second of sound that was playing. Sometimes I can ctrl-alt-delete out of the game to kill the process but most of the time I have to reboot the entire system as it never gives me control.

These issues happened occasionally before the update (perhaps 10% of the time) but now they are happening regularly (around 75% of the time). It's quite the frustrating experience.

I have it. Actually I've had the issue with varying frequency for a long time now. Mine actually played a specific sound file (the drowning bubbly one) if it came out of a hang up.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774666
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=26680217&posted=1#post26680217

Currently, on DX 8, my machine still gets a slight stutter but it's short enough I can usually live through it. I still get the occasional crash and it never seems to exit properly but it's better than crashing every hour like it was. /tries not to touch anything and live with dx 8 graphics.

Right now I am more concerned as to what makes the hit detection vary so on my game. Yesterday I was watching, even more, bullets go through people without hitting than normal and my ping was ok.

Oh yes then there is this bug in my map I can't seem to find XD...

Last edited:
I've never been pro and don't think I ever will with my eyesight/reflexs or lack thereof.
It's actually because of your short stature, your inclination to move around on all fours, and the copious amounts of fur. It's also because anytime I see you on the opposing team it becomes my mission in life to exterminate any rodents in my general vicinity (with varying degrees of success).

I have it. Actually I've had the issue with varying frequency for a long time now. Mine actually played a specific sound file (the drowning bubbly one) if it came out of a hang up.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774666
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=26680217&posted=1#post26680217

Currently, on DX 8, my machine still gets a slight stutter but it's short enough I can usually live through it. I still get the occasional crash and it never seems to exit properly but it's better than crashing every hour like it was. /tries not to touch anything and live with dx 8 graphics.

Right now I am more concerned as to what makes the hit detection vary so on my game. Yesterday I was watching, even more, bullets go through people without hitting than normal and my ping was ok.

Oh yes then there is this bug in my map I can't seem to find XD...
Nice to know I'm not alone. . .but not nice to know that so many people are having these issues. With the number of updates that come out you would think they might try to fix this. . .

Nice to know I'm not alone. . .but not nice to know that so many people are having these issues. With the number of updates that come out you would think they might try to fix this. . .

Valve? Fix things? What are these strange and abnormal ideas you have?

I have heard they are releasing a special Crash Hat with varyying levels for anyone who experiences a game crash. 10 crashes you get the level 1 hat. 100 crashes you get the level 2 hat. 1000 crashes and you get the level 3 hat.

Anyone with an NVidia card gets the Uber Crash hat.

I defraged my game files yesterday and then did a partial defrag on my entire drive. No crashes at all. Game started right up the three times I tried and no problems joining a server. Perhaps the problem was my own laziness/forgetfulness in not defraging in quite some time.

Back