Star Wars The Old Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikkennedy777

I am interested in a SWTOR chapter. I don't mind leading it, or co-leading, or being a member. I would just like to see it start well before game launch to establish a good base of players to begin the game with.

I know there's already one Christian SW: TOR in the planning stages.

What say you all? Is there interest in a SW: TOR chapter among Tribe of Judah members?

Even if the answer is no, it doesn't mean we won't form a chapter. It just means we would have to recruit outside ToJ to get a group of founding members--if the chapter were to be established, of course.

Erik: If you're interested in leading the chapter, go ahead and send me a PM and we can set up a time to chat over instant message or TeamSpeak.

I'm planning to seriously consider getting the game. However I'm not sure what a guild before the game gets released would serve. Other than prove that there is interest and get some of the "paper work" out of the way (getting forums, leadership, names). Could someone explain anything else a guild/clan/fellowship/group would serve right now for ToR?

EDIT: With the changes happening in SoE right now, I'm gonna have to sit any leadership business out for now ;)

Firstly, to Tek, have you been getting my PMs? I've sent three, but when I go to my sent box it is empty. Maybe I am doing it wrong.

And as to why a "guild" before the game comes out, I can give a few reasons off the top of my head.

One is to find out how many people are interested, for the purpose of helping those who may be on the fence see that they will have friends from ToJ playing, at least at launch.

Guild structure could begin, which would save time at launch.

People who like game immersion can begin to develop ideas for their character and perhaps engage in some rp here or at the swtor forums.

We can start posting info on the game.

As to why anyone would be opposed to starting the chapter before the game comes out, I can not say.

Peace out,

Erik

Firstly, to Tek, have you been getting my PMs? I've sent three, but when I go to my sent box it is empty. Maybe I am doing it wrong.
I've been getting the PMs, but I've been slow to respond to PMs these last few days as a lot of things are happening behind the scenes all at once. I'll go ahead and send a reply to your PM now.

EDIT: PM reply sent.

Last edited:
chapter to start soon

I just got done meeting with Tek, and the ToJ SWTOR Chapter has been approved, and we should be up and running in a few days. I will be heading up the guild, and am anxious to get the ball rolling so that come launch time, we will be able to witness the power of our fully armed and operational...guild.

Awesome!!
Feel the power of the dark side sith-ewok!
bwahahahahah
wait, we are rolling dark side right? =P

I recall another thread in CGA's general forums about this game...

I could be wrong, though.

That would be it!

If I were to play I'd wanna go Dark side too... Every MMO I've played that has been sponsored by ToJ has always been on the "good" side. It's time for a change!

Dark or Light?

Two issues already, are whether to have a ToJ SWTOR chapter when there is a CGA one in the works, and whether the ToJ chapter will be Dark or Light.

ToJ will be going forward with the chapter/guild as planned, and it is ok if ToJ members want to play with either or any alliance guild as far as I am concerned, and TeK also said that he has no problem with ToJ members who want to also be involved with other groups.

As to the issue of Dark or Light, we can roll both ways, although that would split player base. My personal opinion on this subject: I have been very disappointed in the video game industry at some of the changes I have witnessed in my life. Fairly recently (considering the amount of time games have been around) developers have been making games where people have the option to play the "evil" or "bad" factions/guys, when rpgs used to almost always encourage the idea of being the hero, saving and helping people in need. Some games that incorperate this diversity have quests and ideals for the evil side that are disturbing to me personally and I am against the whole idea. I have seen sex and crude language become more and more prevelant as well, and it is only another indicator of how the people who make and play video games have become more and more morally compromised. I could go on about this, but it in the end I just will not support the desires that the evil factions cater to in general.

However...if I am going to be a hypocrit, because even playing the good guys, I allow myself to behave in a fantasy setting in a way my own ideals prohibit (I am a pacifist via Christs commands to love my enemies, pray for those who mistreat me, leave vengence to the Lord, etc etc) by killing and what not, I cannot judge too harshly those of you who wish to be power hungry back stabbing tyranical Sith :)

So...as chapter leader I will not say we cannot have a Sith guild, only that I will not be that guild leader. I will lead a Light side guild, and if a ToJ member in good standing (which I hope that all ToJ members are) wants to lead a Dark side guild in the SWTOR chapter just PM me, and we can supply both choices to our members.

Feel free to ask any other questions, and make any comments (respectfully of course), and once the chapter forum has opened, we can post them there as well. I will wait to start talking shop for the most part until that happens.

Lastly I want to just say again, that I acknowledge how I am being a hypocrit when I play violent games such as MW2 or whatever, but refuse to be the evil side in an MMO, although I personally see a big difference, it's ok if you do not.

Two points I wanted to mention:
  1. Mustard Seed Conspiracy is back, baby.
  2. The Horde aren't really the "bad guys."

Sorry, but after spending hours upon hours of researching the lore of Warcraft, and reading just about every major Horde vs. Alliance thread that popped up on the WoW forums, I can honestly say that the Horde really are the bad guys. Anyone that doesn't admit it is simply in denial. I guess I really shouldn't care since I don't play WoW anymore, but they're still evil.

Two issues already, are whether to have a ToJ SWTOR chapter when there is a CGA one in the works, and whether the ToJ chapter will be Dark or Light.
Based solely on the fact that Star Wars: The Old Republic is a Star Wars-themed MMORPG developed by BioWare, I think it's safe to anticipate that the player base will be large enough to support at least two Christian guilds.

I agree that we should stick to the Light side faction (or whatever it's called) for at least a first guild; however, that doesn't mean that individual members who don't have an issue with playing a Dark side character can't roll a Dark side alt and play with other ToJ members who do the same. There may not be an official Dark side guild, but there could be a loose an unofficial gathering of ToJ members' Dark side alts. In my estimation, there likely won't be sufficient activity among Christian MMO players regularly playing Dark side characters to benefit from forming a Dark side guild. There's a lot of work that goes into establishing a guild and getting it off the ground; it doesn't make sense to go through all that to only have people log in to their alts occasionally.

I've played a few BioWare games and I'm guessing that the writers will design the Dark side so that players can empathize the faction without being wholly evil themselves.
TeK also said that he has no problem with ToJ members who want to also be involved with other groups.
Correct. When I played World of WarCraft, I had a character in Redeemed, a character in Mustard Seed Conspiracy, and a character in The Forgiven. Tribe of Judah allows multi-clanning; the only provision is that we don't allow our competition team members (irrelevant in this context, but relevant to our Shooter chapters) to play for other competition teams.
However...if I am going to be a hypocrit,
I don't see role-playing a heroic character who uses force to defend himself and his faction is hypocritical at all. I don't want to de-rail this topic by opening a discussion on the difference between killing and murder or a Christian argument against conscientious objection, so I won't.

When I write a story where my main character does something objectionable or sinful, it doesn't mean that I condone that character's actions. In many cases, I use the sin of a main character to illustrate cause and effect.

EDIT: I am not suggesting that doing the same (actively communicating sinful speech or emoting sinful actions) in a MMO is a good idea. A story is a closed system; a MMORPG is not. How you play affects other people. My characters are not avatars that directly interact with avatars of other real people. They're simply characters in a story. While playing a character strictly based on myself would be dull, I would not be interested in role-playing a truly evil character. (Granted, only about 1% of all MMO players--ever fewer in WoW--actually role-play as a character.)

While writing is not an exact parallel to role-playing, there are some common points. The key similarity is that (I trust) we have a keen awareness of the separation between fantasy and reality.
I will lead a Light side guild, and if a ToJ member in good standing (which I hope that all ToJ members are) wants to lead a Dark side guild in the SWTOR chapter just PM me, and we can supply both choices to our members.
Mustard Seed Conspiracy started as an alt guild and eventually came into its own. It's possible the same will happen in the SW: TOR chapter as well, but I estimate it will be a while before we grow to a point where that's feasible.

Sorry, but after spending hours upon hours of researching the lore of Warcraft, and reading just about every major Horde vs. Alliance thread that popped up on the WoW forums, I can honestly say that the Horde really are the bad guys. Anyone that doesn't admit it is simply in denial.
I haven't read much WoW lore, but based on what I do know, it seemed like races in the Horde faction (Orc and Tauren, specifically) were not so much evil as just misguided. The true "bad guys" in the WarCraft universe are the Burning Legion and Deathwing (and others that I probably don't know about).

But that's a discussion I'm not informed enough nor inclined to start in this thread, though the WoW General Discussion Forum would be a good place for a thread for such a debate.

Last edited:
I have a number of thoughts that I would like to put out there, so I'm going to break this up a bit

First:
However large our community may currently be, I do not feel that it is big enough to risk splitting it from the get-go by having two separate guilds launch simultaneously. It would be better if we started one guild, gave it long enough to establish a firm foundation, and then started a second guild primarily for alts and rerolls.

Second:
I am firmly in favor of an Empire side guild first, for which I have a number of reasons:

-The all-good-all-the-time (or at least the first playthrough) is getting old, a change of pace would be refreshing
-The Republic / Jedi side is far more played out, I think the Empire holds a lot more in terms of new experiences, and would be more interesting to play
-We don't want any of that Jedi, moral relativity nonsense! Moral absolutism for the win, and the Empire provides!
-It might be that the people on the "evil side" could use some more exposure to us and the way we do things, as long as we are Christians playing MMOs, it is our responsibility to be living witnesses, and the "other" side should see us too

Third:
I am a pacifist via Christs commands to love my enemies, pray for those who mistreat me, leave vengence to the Lord, etc etc

This is a bit off topic, but I think you might be taking those commands the wrong way, at least if am interpreting pacifist the right way. The language of those commands indicates that Christ refers more to personal enemies than political ones, i.e. more the guy from the office who makes your life miserable than nation against which your own is fighting.

There are also convincing arguments for "Just War" that are nearly as old as the scriptures, and considering those, along with the models given to us from the Old Testament, I do not believe that pacifism is any kind of scriptural mandate.

Fourth:
2. The Horde aren't really the "bad guys."

Incorrect. While the Burning Legion / Deathwing / the Lich King may be the "true" bad guys, the Horde are naught but a rabble of vicious animal who must be destroyed!

Fifth:
Fairly recently (considering the amount of time games have been around) developers have been making games where people have the option to play the "evil" or "bad" factions/guys, when rpgs used to almost always encourage the idea of being the hero, saving and helping people in need. Some games that incorperate this diversity have quests and ideals for the evil side that are disturbing to me personally and I am against the whole idea. I have seen sex and crude language become more and more prevelant as well, and it is only another indicator of how the people who make and play video games have become more and more morally compromised.

I think it is a mistake to assume that the video game industry ever enjoyed a higher degree of moral rectitude than other aspects of the industry. The simple fact is that it just grew up.

Whereas earlier games were sold more as toys for children, they are now marketed to all ages, and with that, unsurprisingly, has come the rise of the kind of morally objectionable content that people who have outlived the innocence of youth desire.

I also think it might be a mistake to correlate the rise of evil story options with that of objectionable content. There are a great many games in which you play the "good guy" but contain a great deal of language / violence / sex. Many games featuring evil options are not so bad in terms of content, and it may even be that many developers are hesitant to mix strong content with an evil story arc.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind going Empire. Force Lightning ftw.

But I would go Bounty Hunter or something on those lines anyways. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back