Rift!

Lots of people had pets. I think there's a class in each archtype (except perhaps warrior?)

Warrior has the Beastmaster Class.

Death was nothing. No real loss; just a bit of coin, a little inconvenience. You spawn back up at the nearest shrine, and have to pay the piper (I mean "healer") after a certain number of deaths.

I think it debuffs you 10% per death. Loss of money wasn't a huge amount but I think it increases with level and I was trying to gain money. I could not figure out how to spawn at the shrine I kept having to run back to my body XD (must be another button somewhere?) but then I didn't die enough to figure it out and when I did die I was usually in a rush to get back to a rift fight. A death near a shrine did auto respawn me at that shrine but the rest of the time I had to run.

I played a day in Rift and in general I liked it ok (yay they included an editable UI. All mmorpgs should have one but don't). It's not a WoW killer but perhaps it will be the next Warhammer. It's the polar opposite of DC Online as Rift has you managing bars out the wazoo and if you want to make a good hybrid class expect to be reading web pages. At level 11 I never got to the dungeons or pvp section of the game (pvp is likely to be the major part of the game play) but I can say rifts can go on a bit too long. I expect part of this is so you can start with low amounts of players and ramp it up as players show as they are supposed to spawn dynamically based on players. Problem was the rifts went from having none for a few hours to "we just cleaned the map and now more are popping up 9 times over XD". I can see it going from an interesting element that freshens game play to "are we done with rifts forming yet" if they don't cap the max spawn frequency slightly. I'm feeling like there may be a bit of game play padding going on (yes I know the game's name is "Rift" but yeeash). Also the rift fighting game play in the public group wasn't that engaging. Mostly you try to pull one of two enemies if in the deadly attack group ball or if at the rift spawn players will dog pile on an enemy as soon as they appear. The ball was tough while the dog pile was a massacre where players ruthlessly ripped apart each new spawn to the point I felt sorry for the enemies XD. It's fine for lower levels but I'm hoping higher level rifts require more advanced tactics or perhaps spawn based on player classes in the area. At one point there was so many players piling on one bad guy I could not see my guy and was relying purely on bars and tab targeting to play XD.

Also the dwarf NPCs sound like yoda but whatever :p .

On another subject while the game has a lot of class variety I still managed to chose only two things I wanted my character to do that won't work. It appears my ability to want things that aren't made to work in a game is still undefeated XD. Does anyone have any class ideas to get this to work...

1. I want to use the large warrior sword (which means you need to go Champion)
2. I want to gain hp by fighting (mainly Reaver seems to do this).

The abilities are there but they don't work together as Reaver, the life sucking class, seems to work by using a shield to keep you alive while robbing a little bit of HP off of a lot of little enemies. Without the shield by I get damaged far too much to tank more than one enemy and the hp off of one enemy is poor.

I may try an ability in Riftwalker that gives a 25% of damage heal for crits but it takes 44 points. That doesn't leave enough to get "Proper Timing" crit ability in Champion or even the "Brutal Punishment" Champion crit skill due to the next beta level cap :( .

If you'd like to build a class here is the best class builder I've found so far as it displays the most info (like level needed) http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html .I don't know how current it is though.

Last edited:
Nice job on the reviews guys!

just FYI, the beta ToJ guild is going strong and we are all suffering Riftdrawels. The game is a blast and the depth continues to amaze us. Most of the core so far are considering the 6month sub to get the $9.99 price.

The guild is a joint venture with the Lions of Judah so we have some of those great guys/gals playing alongside us. The guild will be an "Official" ToJ guild. We are changing the name from [Fate's Call] to [Reborn] and will reflect this in the final OPEN beta on the 15th.

We have a temp website up if you want to check it out and give some feedback on how to improve it.
http://rebornguild.co.nr/

The ToJ fourms official Rift chapter should be up and running this week.

Remember: Open beta in 7 days and Headstart in 14! Woot!

Heres to having a faint hope i'll get it working this next beta :p

All i need it to do is to finish downloading... it keeps saying its done. However I still have 6gbs left to dl >.>

It takes like 4 hours to get it to even say around 500mbs it seems.
Even though it says it's dling the whole thing gah...

Anyway... once i have it working... it looks enjoyable :) Probably won't hop in at the start even if it works. I am working on rebuilding my computer, so gotta save the $$.

ewok, so is Lions of Judah going to be in reborn guild also on the same server as you? confused on that

Yes.
Lions will not be having their own chapter (at this time) but will join Reborn. In fact one of their core guys is a co-leader of Reborn with Unfetered and I. Tagtarsis here on ToJ.

They will apply via ToJ when retail goes live, for beta they have just been auto invited.

Also we now have ToJ fourms setup!

Last edited:
I am stoked to see the headstart for rift come out! taking the day off work and all i think!

I look forward to help foster a christian environment that will allow us to grow as a group and see all this game has to offer! I also subscribed for the 6month program at $9.99! What a great deal :)

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

1. I've learned you can upgrade something called "wardstones" to help in rift invasions. Maybe one of the "?" marks said this but I missed it? Maybe it was due to being swarmed by Rifts at the time >.< ! Regardless this is supposed to make them easier to deal with.

2. I'll more than likely be playing in the last beta. Minecraft people I'll be back after wards as I am not subscribing I just want to get my slice of beta game time.

3. I have a level 11 Guardian warrior on Sunrest, sorry Tek I picked your server but I just don't play bad guys so no Defiant. I never play the "bad" guy factions in mmorpgs even if they make the "good" guys out to be religious nut jobs all the time >.> .

4. If Keero liked Warhammer this looks like something he'd like as well. To bad he can't get it to work T_T.

Last edited:
Keero join us go go!! if your blocked by something 4 hour marathons at starbucks go go
Silly question, but...what about using a proxy and client-to-server port forwarding?

If you're interested, you might check Tunnelier. I use it to encrypt all web traffic when using public wireless access points and it seems to do the job well.

Any type of proxy programs means I lose internet access for the semester.

Sooooo it's a no go unless the Admins open those 30 ports or so (still waiting on a reply).

Sooooo it's a no go unless the Admins open those 30 ports or so (still waiting on a reply).

You should head home over the weekend and look all dewy eyed at Gator and Grey saying "I remember when I got my brothers computers and games so they could play, <insert sigh here>, certainly would be nice if I could use a computer to play Rift <insert small tear>." It can't fail unless you where an exceptionally mean brother and you weren't right Keero?

Yowch. That seems...overzealous.

But rules are rules. It's not like you're paying for your Internet. Just for the tuition that helps pay for the school's connection. -_-

Wait, what?

I don't have any ports open on my router except for a private TF2 server and BitTorrent and Rift worked just fine for me.

Servers are open and I am stuck at work :/

Remember to update the clients if you have a chance so tonight we can all be playing!

Beta 7: Update 1 - 2/16/2011 5:30pm PST
GENERAL
* Stealthier stealth for Elves - floating helmets while in stealth should be corrected.
* Shaman, Druid, Justicar: Faith in Action is no longer removed if you remove one of these souls but still have one or more of the others in use.
* Additional Soul Tree UI cleanup and fixes.

CLIENT/PATCHER
* Even more better corrupted data detection.
* If the client cannot connect to the Rift servers using the normal ports [6000-6020], it will attempt to connect on port 80. Users with otherwise blocked ports should be able to connect to the game after this change.

Newest patch! Keero!!!! Try to get on now!

After spending the day in this game with Diana and Orry (which was rather fun I might add) I can tell you that this games interface, settings, and basic combat mechanics are straight up shameless carbon copies of WoW. Don't know if that's a bad thing... It was rather convenient for me because it did lower the learning curve of trying to figure the game out. So maybe they did this for that sole reason. My only other complaint: IMO you've gone too far when you see NPCs wearing plate mail bikinis. I mean, really?

As it stands the game is fun but I can't see me paying $15 a month for it. Hopefully the game gets a little more interesting at higher levels.

Last edited:
After spending the day in this game with Diana and Orry (which was rather fun I might add) I can tell you that this games interface, settings, and basic combat mechanics are straight up shameless carbon copies of WoW. Don't know if that's a bad thing... It was rather convenient for me because it did lower the learning curve of trying to figure the game out. So maybe they did this for that sole reason. My only other complaint: IMO you've gone too far when you see NPCs wearing plate mail bikinis. I mean, really?

As it stands the game is fun but I can't see me paying $15 a month for it. Hopefully the game gets a little more interesting at higher levels.

The game gets more interesting 18-20+ It's still fun at lower levels, and you can enter Warfronts at lvl 10.

Back