Remember 9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genesis1315

Ladies
Do you remember what you were doing 8 years ago today?

Did you learn anything that impacted your life because of the 9/11 attacks?

I was working for Sephora at the time. I remember hearing about it because we were getting ready to send a shipment to our Sephora store that was located in the World Trade Center.

The whole morning was very surreal, like events were moving in slow motion even though the actual amount of time was flying by. Managers were almost running throughout the warehouse, trying to get the details of what was going on. We were being fed bits and pieces of information as they were learned, but we didn't know what was actually going on until later in the day. At morning break, I was sitting outside with one of my friends speculating on what was happening. We joked that they were targeting Sephora stores because there was one at or near where each of the attack occurred. Although my friend remembered seeing birds in the sky, I do not recall seeing them. It was eerily quiet without any planes flying overhead.

When I was able to get home later that day, I called my then boyfriend (now Hubby) and talked with him about the attacks. It was very unnerving to be home alone that day because I felt like a piece of me was shattered that day. I still cannot describe that piece that was shattered, but feel like I had something precious that I cannot get back. It is lost forever.

That day, I learned to treasure child-like innocence.

Gen

I remember my mother telling me, "The Twin Towers are gone."

I thought I had misheard. I remember thinking she must have misunderstood the news report: "The Twin Towers can't just be gone." Then I remember turning on a TV and seeing the replays. Even then, I thought it was all part of some elaborate hoax. I couldn't believe it was real.

As fond as I am of saying that history is a series of repeating cycles and that those who study history usually aren't surprised by current events, 9/11 is one of the few news events in my lifetime that truly shocked me.

Today we remember the precious lives cut short by an atrocious act fueled by hate. We remember those brave people who worked tirelessly to prevent further damage and recover from the fallout of that terrible day. We remember that there are people who hate America with an unreasonable hatred and will stop at nothing to hurt our country and its people.

Last edited:
Do you remember what you were doing 8 years ago today?

I was watching cartoons then channel surfing. I saw a plane hit the 2nd tower and thought it was a movie. Turns out it wasn't when the top left of the screen says, "LIVE". :eek:

As soon as my family woke up, they were shocked to see that.

We watch the whole thing, especially when it collapsed.

Did you learn anything that impacted your life because of the 9/11 attacks?

To be nicer to Americans.

Also watched and brought, United 93. Very heroism film. Very honorable people as well.

Of lal things i was taking a camro to another auto dealershp to swap for a truck and I was stuck in traffic on the way back. Needless to say with the truck(i was drving) we did not stay stuck long and i hustled bakc to the dealership to figure out what was going on. I was absolutly fixated. The dealerhip closed for three days and we got off within 1 hour of hte attack due to no traffic..anywhere.

I was walking into homeroom my sophomore year in high school... wondering why the TVs were all on. I also thought it was a movie, until I saw the Live part of the screen.

I was very moved when I watched Great Britain play our national anthem in lieu of their own. The speaker went on to say everyone in the world is an American (or something like that). I believe that to be true.

In the following years with the anti-Arab and anti-Muslim dissent, I have learned that everyone must be try harder to understand people they do not understand and to issue tolerance in trying times. We must try harder to understand them and they must try harder to understand us - everyone must exercise tolerance.

Was playing starcraft. This will sound heartless. But going to take that risk. I was not shocked. I have been through evils that would crumble other peoples resolves, diminish their feelings and break their spirits. Coming from this world - this act of pure demonic evil had no phazing power over me. I wept for the lost lives, but also realize that when people die - it's a common thing. The uncommon thing - is the choice they have to make to make it matter. If they had accepted christ it's a glorious moment of reuniting. If they didn't... They had every chance to living in america.

I was walking into homeroom my sophomore year in high school... wondering why the TVs were all on. I also thought it was a movie, until I saw the Live part of the screen.

I was very moved when I watched Great Britain play our national anthem in lieu of their own. The speaker went on to say everyone in the world is an American (or something like that). I believe that to be true.

In the following years with the anti-Arab and anti-Muslim dissent, I have learned that everyone must be try harder to understand people they do not understand and to issue tolerance in trying times. We must try harder to understand them and they must try harder to understand us - everyone must exercise tolerance.
tolerance my foot..what a nauseating word. We are not called by the bible to tolerate anyone. we are called to love them..two totally different concepts. tolerance in today's world means tolerate only your viewpoint and those that agree with you..all others are not welcome. I have had interesting conversations with several muslims..last year i saw one praying to mecca and i got to explain to my older daughter what he was doing and some things about how his religion differs form ours. However i made it clear that his god is not our god and he won't be going to the same place we are.

tolerance my foot..what a nauseating word. We are not called by the bible to tolerate anyone. we are called to love them..two totally different concepts....
I doubt that's true. To tolerate someone is to allow them to exist in their true form, to practice what they believe to be true and to not persecute them for doing such things. Does love not do that as well? (This does not mean you cannot evangelize to them.)

tolerance in today's world means tolerate only your viewpoint and those that agree with you..all others are not welcome....
This makes no sense. If you and I believe the exact same things, then there is nothing to tolerate as there are no differences between us. Tolerance exists in a world of differentiation and only if one allows it to exist.

Tolerance - 2 a :sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one's own.

I do think that the terrorist attacks on the World Trace Center was horrible. It was out of intolerance on their behalf. In the following years, much anti-Muslim sentiment arose due to our intolerance and ignorance of them.

my youth pastor put it this way. "We need to WELCOME strangers to christ into our community but not AFFIRM them." To tolerate in the way of saying: "Hey, you worship a god who will lead you to damnation! I support that!" is NOT the same as tolerating someone in the way of: "I care for you, but you can't worship that god - it leads to eternal agony."

Last edited:
I think the concept of tolerance as presented in American media is so far removed from the dictionary definition that political conservatives, with reason, have learned to cringe at the word.

It's a sad world when South Park speaks out as the voice of reason:
Tolerant, but not stupid! Look, just because you have to tolerate something doesn't mean you have to approve of it! ..."Tolerate" means you're just putting up with it! You tolerate a crying child sitting next to you on the airplane or, or you tolerate a bad cold. It can still piss you off!

I'm so glad that (someone other than me) posted something constructive from Southpark!

Awesome.

What's the reasoning behind cringing at tolerance? I know people who look as if they are of Arabian decent, who have been pulled aside at airports for searches (they are latino) because of the way they look... no joke.

Edit: I think that some Southpark episodes have some truth/good message to them... you just have to be willing to look for it.

Last edited:
my youth pastor put it this way. "We need to WELCOME strangers to christ into our community but not AFFIRM them." To tolerate in the way of saying: "Hey, you worship a god who will lead you to damnation! I support that!" is NOT the same as tolerating someone in the way of: "I care for you, but you can't worship that god - it leads to eternal agony."

What's the reasoning behind cringing at tolerance? I know people who look as if they are of Arabian decent, who have been pulled aside at airports for searches (they are latino) because of the way they look... no joke.

Last edited:
I doubt that's true. To tolerate someone is to allow them to exist in their true form, to practice what they believe to be true and to not persecute them for doing such things. Does love not do that as well? (This does not mean you cannot evangelize to them.)

Evangelise[/U] verb (used with object) 1. to preach the gospel to.
The gospel does not allow for the practice of evil, and the tolerance you are talking about - is the practice of evil, so therefore if love is to accept the practice of evil, love cannot exist with the gospel, which is a complete and total oxymoron

sorry for the double post

This probably seems harsh. I have no intent to be judgemental. As you can probably imagine I have been extremely accepting to the point of adopting the world's practices myself, as my other post shows. I am just stating this out of CONCERN for a brother in christ, and for myself to try and get it into my head as well, that there is a clearly defined thing as too much tolerance

Last edited:
Heh, sorry.

But Tek stated that the meaning of tolerance has been so far removed from the dictionary definition (real definition) that its within reason that conservatives cringe at the word.

I know what you said and thanks for the response (thought it was great), but it doesn't answer my question.

I agree that the media has removed tolerance from its definition and can't help but think that they've removed it from our language. Because the media changed the meaning (or deleted it) does not mean that everyone suddenly forgot the meaning or will follow the new meaning.

I just want to know the logic behind forgetting the meaning of tolerance.

Evangelise[/U] verb (used with object) 1. to preach the gospel to.
The gospel does not allow for the practice of evil, and the tolerance you are talking about - is the practice of evil, so therefore if love is to accept the practice of evil, love cannot exist with the gospel, which is a complete and total oxymoron
All throughout time, believers had to preach the gospel to non-believers (evil believers). If they didn't then Christianity would not be where it is today. And besides, if they didn't preach the gospel... then what would they preach to them? The love is the love God wants us to have for one another.

I am just stating this out of CONCERN for a brother in christ, and for myself to try and get it into my head as well, that there is a clearly defined thing as too much tolerance
You need not be concerned for me, but as you said there is such a thing as too much tolerance (I agree), there is also a thing as too little tolerance.

Last edited:
you're missing the point odale... To have tolerance in the christian format, is to love one another, this is true (love thy neighbour as thyself) to be accepting of sin is another thing all together, infact god even says he wants us to be all for him, or all aginst him, (the taste of the luke warm christian is a taste he shall spit out of his mouth) and he hates sin. As we should hate sin as well. Love the sinner, hate the sin

I think we are misunderstanding each other.

I agree with you that worshiping evil is intolerable. But toleration is putting up with it even though it pisses you off (to run with the Southpark quote).

I agree. Love the person, hate the sin... however this is who they are - in one package. Until they change, you must tolerate them.

It is important that we fight against Hate. If tolerance is the frame for that, then OK, as long as we can still say the name of Jesus in this new tolerance. As long as we can still preach :

"He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him" (John 3:36).

"He who has the Son has life; he who has not the Son of God has not life" (1 John 5:12).

As John Piper said...
"In other words, nominal Christians, devoted Muslims, pious Hindus, faithful Buddhists, orthodox Jews, devout animists, sincere agnostics, secular atheists—everyone who does not hold fast to Jesus Christ as the supremely valuable Son of God and Savior—will perish and not have eternal life."

We need to love non-Christians and not hate, but in loving lets remember that these people are dying and on the way to a brutal eternal hell unless they are radically changed. We should not obscure or withhold this message because of trying to be tolerant.

Last edited:
sounds like we may have been misunderstanding each other then, touche and I'm willing to agree to (mis?)understand each other :)

We need to love non-Christians and not hate, but in loving lets remember that these people are dying and on the way to a brutal eternal hell unless they are radically changed. We should not obscure or withhold this message because of trying to be tolerant.

Yes, we need to convince the foolish Muslims to turn from their wicked ways and believe in our God so that He won't put them in a "brutal eternal hell".

How... can you not see how horrible that sounds?
Personally...

All of the evil things, that Muslims have done(9/11 included) - I fail to see how they measure up to sticking billions of people in a "brutal eternal hell".

I fail to see why the God who loves all the people He Himself created and sent His Son to die for would do that.

It sounds more like something Satan would do.

I really don't see how you can get anywhere preaching to Muslims if you're going off the idea that they have to repent and convert to your religion or they'll end up in fiery hell - and they've got the same idea about you.

As for tolerance, if you don't tolerate Muslims then what do you do, personally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back