Recommended Anime

P

pieman3141

So,... what's your favourite anime? or more precisely, what's your favourite drama anime? I will be finished watching Rurouni Kenshin by tonight. OVAs 1-6, plus "the movie" will be done by next week. I need new ones.

I have watched:

Grave of the Fireflies, Spirited Away, Gundam Wing + Endless Waltz, RK, Evangelion, Full Metal Panic...

I like drama animes.

^^ Anime = medium, not genre.

Cowboy Bebop is amazing and they just released the movie on dvd on the 24ths.

Trigun is good but not great.

DBZ was once good but has been perverted to something of unimaginable horror.

Gundam Wing was cool.

I use to enjoy a couple of the older movies but now that I think about it they are really really bloody and not approriate.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exo-Slayer @ July 04 2003,3:51)]DBZ was once good but has been perverted to something of unimaginable horror.
the americanized DBZ's arent that bad at all.. i have heard that most japanese anime is really bad in it's uncut version.. which i dont doubt, but i like many anime shows

beats me, on anime shows but spirited away to me seemed a bit cultish dont u think??

What i was talking about with DBZ it started cool but after the Sayian saga it was terrible the same thing happend over and over. Hey theres some reason we need to check out this new place oh look its a new bad guy 1000000000 times stronger then anyone weve ever faced we better train or get are power awakened or ascend to some new level of power. Wow looks like we beat them by training but some people died lets wish them back.

Rinse repeat and you have the entire 400 dbz episodes.

I may be an old dog when it comes to anime But my favs are Robotech and starblazers. And if you like AD&D then the Loados War is for you.

Take care and God Bless
Rand NobleBlade
Paladin

I thought Cowboy Bebop was great, but thats probably because Tek recommeneded it to me. I want to see Spirited Away some time, as it won some award or something. Someone recommended Prince of Tennis (is that the name?) to me. I have yet to see a single episode of it. DBZ isn't the greatest any more, but somehow it kept a fan base for awhile, heck, I even watched it vigilantly for all of a few months.

not really into Anime but Spirited Away was a really good movie. A tad new agey but good.

Spirited Away was more of a movie than anything else. it lacked some stuff I was expecting... I dislike the director's work. The studio that drew it was good though. quite a scene with the dragon turning into the kid. Like I said, I like drama + action.. so mecha animes are good. so are some samurai animes (tend to get a bit on the overly gory side though..)
I will definitely be checking out Macross. I heard tons of good stuff about it.

And let's NOT get into a DBZ discussion... please... it's a kid's show. I don't like it. repetitive + boring. And let's not even go into the shows shown in mainstream network TV. they're absolute crap. I'm not an otaku... I just like good shows.

If you like drama anime, I suggest Noir. Almost no comic relief whatsoever, it's a very serious saga. I've only seen the first four episodes.

Excel Saga...that's just wacky. For anyone that's seen it, I have one word: Puchuuuuuu...;-)

I enjoyed the storyline of the Burn-Up Warrior/eXcess episodes, but it seems that the whole thing is just an excuse to have big boobies bouncing around. Lots of cool elements anyway.

Grave of the Fireflies is phenomenal, I recommend it to everyone even if you're not into anime.
Princess Monoke is also very good
Kenshin OVA 1-4 should be the first set to watch, then the tv series.
I enjoyed the kenshin tv series more than the requiem movie.
Most anime nuts have seen Serial Experiments Lain and Evangelion
Some ppl call Gasaraki Evangelain
If you watch any of the macross, only watch plus, the others are terrible.
X is a very bleak movie, but is beautifully animated, i find the series to be a bit corny and cliché (destiny, end of the world, key to fate, it gets annoying)
Same for Record of Lodoss War, it's a great anime series but some of it is just really corny, I get shivers about these things.
Blood of the Last Vampire is only 30 or 45min but the animation is also stunning
Ninja Scroll is a great movie and some ppl say it's the best anime ever made but that's rather subjective.

Eon's Fave Anime's...

1. Ghost in the Shell
2. Princess Mononoke
3. Evangelion
4. Slayers (funny not gory)
5. Early episodes of Tenchi Muyo
6. Spirited Away

I just saw the first half of spirited away, and so far I just have to say wow. I like how much effort they seemed to have put in to writing the storyline. If disney started an anime division, this would be what they would produce. Even though it's not Cowboy Bebop, I like it.

Anime series I have watched, either in part or entirety: *cracks fingers*

Ah! My Goddess
Ah! My Mini Goddess
Cowboy Bebop
Evangelon
Excel Saga
FLCL
Fushigi Yuugi
Ghost In The Shell: Standalone Complex
Hunter X Hunter
Jubei-chan
Kenshin
Nadesico
Outlaw Star
RahXephon
Scryed
Slayers
Slayers Next
Trigun
Vandread
Vandread Second Stage
Video Girl Ai

Anime movies I've watched:

Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Nadesico: Prince of Darkness
Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' At Heaven's Door
End of Evangelion

There are a few other movies, but they were so incredibly terrible that I dare not list them here.

Oh, and it's important for everyone to remember this:

Dragonball manga != Japanese Dragonball anime != American Dragonball anime

Not to defend Dragonball, BUT I hear that the manga far surpasses the anime. *shrug* But I stay away from DB in all its various forms.

dragonball along with the majority of animes have been dubbed horribly.
personally i'd rather listen to the original voices and read subtitles.

Back