Operation Burnination: Tek's PC situation

This just in from Giga-byte:
Our engineer replaced a bad component on your board. Therefore you received a repaired motherboard back. I'm sorry that your problem continues. Please contact our technical support department first to see if they can help you out. If not, we will take your board back for the second time. Sorry about the inconvenience.
Replaced a component? The capacitors were swollen and the power socket was toast. I don't understand why they didn't chuck the fried board and replace it right off.

Blar. :mad:

I'm guessing this means that it's most likely that my motherboard is still poo and I'll need to purchase a replacement soon. But time will tell.

Well... that's... sorta good news.

Will they replace it with an entirely new one, or just sew on some new parts? I'd feel a lot safer if they just gave you a new mobo instead of trying to fix the old one.

Bowser said:
Will they replace it with an entirely new one, or just sew on some new parts? I'd feel a lot safer if they just gave you a new mobo instead of trying to fix the old one.
I'm going to strongly suggest they send me a new motherboard or a refurbished and tested motherboard if I RMA the motherboard again.

its been my experience refurbished stuff DO NOT WORK. and i should have thought bout this earlier and mentioned it but when u talk to the tech support specifically ask for a new still wrapped off the line product, dont even go for refurbed stuff man

JUNE 2, 2005 UPDATE:

According to UPS Package Tracking, the RAM from Crucial should arrive tomorrow. I should know whether to purchase a motherboard or video card about five minutes after it arrives. I'll post the update when the time comes.

Atown said:
when u talk to the tech support specifically ask for a new still wrapped off the line product, dont even go for refurbed stuff man
I don't believe there's such a thing as a new Giga-byte 7VAX motherboard. There may be many refurbished or lightly used boards, but I'm nearly certain that Giga-byte stopped manufacturing this board as I was unable to track down a new board in any online shops. There were a few on ebay, but all were used.

If I need a new motherboard, the only way I won't immediately rush to Newegg and order one is if Giga-byte agrees to ship me a shiny new 7VAX the same day I call them and allows me to ship the defective board back the next day.

Just tested the RAM and it reads as 512MB. Looks like it's time for a new video card!

I'm running the PC through a Live CD session to verify that it still gives me graphical glitches in an OS, but the video already kinda freaked out just during POST.

EDIT: Graphical glitches confirmed. Heading to Newegg now.

Last edited:
JUNE 3, 2005 UPDATE:

Video card ordered. Newegg should ship it out Monday, June 6.

Blar. So tired of waiting on shipments.

My Xbox was originally refurbished. I loaded a game in and, when it was repaired, the DVD drive cover wasn't placed on correctly so the disk spun out of control and made a nice gash. GameStop was happy enough to replace the Xbox (switched for a used and not refurb'd) and my $50 game :D

Bad news. Seems I'll have to ship my Gainward video card to Taiwan if I want a replacement. No lie.

The following is quoted from the Gainward USA site:
Dear Customer,

We have transferred the warranty service to Gainward Taiwan from now on. Please contact Gainward Taiwan for any RMA issue.

Gainward Co., Ltd.

12F, 96, Hsin Tai Wu Rd. Sec. 1
Hsi-Chih, Taipei Hsien
Taiwan

Phone: +866-2-2696-6777 / 6789
Fax: + 886-2-2696-6767
E-mail: support@gainward.com.tw
Website www.gainward.com

Need RMA service, please click "support" button at main menu and fill up the request form, then Gainward Taiwan will issue you a RMA number and provide the RMA service.

For those customers who submitted the form but haven't get any RMA number, please follow the above procedure to apply your RMA number.

Need technical support, please visit www.gainward.com
Lame.

My suggestion to all those shopping for new video cards: Do not buy a Gainward unless warranties are of no concern.

Of course, there is still the slight possibility that the motherboard is bad and causing the video errors, but the symptoms definitely point to a bad video card. Time will tell.

Grr. I'm still not pleased with Gainward's decision to close their USA RMA department.

Last edited:
JUNE 6, 2005 UPDATE:

According to FedEx tracking, the video card should arrive around 4:30PM on Thursday, June 9. I'll post again once I've received, installed, and tested the card.

JUNE 8, 2005 UPDATE:

It's 12:09PM and my video card has arrived! w00t! Very nice of FedEx to deliver the card a day early. ^^

I'll spend my "lunch hour" away from the Job Search(TM) installing and testing the card. I'll report back here once I determine whether a new video card has (finally) resolved the last of my PC issues or not.

June 8, 2005. 14:40 Central

I've installed the video card and the system appears stable. I was able to boot into Windows and burn my backup files to a DVD+RW successfully. I am currently writing zeroes to my primary hard drive and will install Windows XP tonight.

fed ex actually does do a good job, ups always just chucks the thing on our porch and runs off. he never knocks or anything. one time they left $300 worth of equipment i ordered for a friend sittin right there on the porch. it was pathetic.

June 8, 2005. 17:06 Central

Currently installing Windows XP Professional to the primary hard drive.

After the OS installation, I'll run updates, install drivers, and install several other applications.

Once I've installed the drivers and software, I'll create an image of the drive using Norton Ghost and write the image to a DVD+R.

THEN I can start installing games and setting up e-mail, Trillian, and other programs.

I'll be reporting in from time to time. ^^

Atown said:
fed ex actually does do a good job, ups always just chucks the thing on our porch and runs off. he never knocks or anything. one time they left $300 worth of equipment i ordered for a friend sittin right there on the porch. it was pathetic.

I bought an exhaust kit for my Jeep that cost around $400 dollars, and the shipping company did the exact same thing. A big brown box sitting right on the front porch really stands out and anyone could have taken it (it's not heavy either).

Tek - you have had a really exciting year this year, haven't you? :)

Back