OK enough bickering, apologize

CCGR

I feel like a kindergarden teacher having to do this, but it must be done or this board will deteriorate even more.

NO MORE PERSONAL ATTACKS. This is spirited debate/discussion, not who can flame the best or use big words. We are not here to inflate egos but to converse about religion and share our beliefs and learn from eachother.

Lately these boards have been nothing but personal attacks. I myself have taken part and apologize if I have offended anyone. It's never my intent and if I do please call me on it. And I encourage others to let people know when they have crossed the line.

We ask that our non-Christian guests are civil. We should be the same towards them. Afterall what kind of image are we conveying? One of love or bitterness?

The people mentioned to apologize. I took the first step. If we can't own up to our faults then I will shut this board down for a bit so we can cool our jets a little.

Let's be civil from here on out. If that's not possible please don't participate in these boards. It's not easy, but it is possible.

Thank you very much CCGR for recognizing the situation. I agree that it was getting out of hand. I sincerely apologize to Thaddius and Lion of Judah - please, my freinds, forgive me for any disrespectful or even hateful words I may ever have spoken to you, especially in these last few days. It is my hope that, now, our further discussions may be centered soley on the matters and materials at hand, rather than the persons putting them forth.

edit --> Spelling.

i edit but you did hit me on a bad time, which was mostly me just venting, sorry. i am human after all

Ahh, the sweetness of the compassion of the human spirit...the pinnacle of human merciness, and perhaps the furthest one can advance in kindness to his brother. It is good.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CCGR @ Oct. 14 2003,5:21)]I feel like a kindergarden teacher having to do this, but it must be done or this board will deteriorate even more.  

NO MORE PERSONAL ATTACKS.  This is spirited debate/discussion, not who can flame the best or use big words.  We are not here to inflate egos but to converse about religion and share our beliefs and learn from eachother.

Lately these boards have been nothing but personal attacks.  I myself have taken part and apologize if I have offended anyone.  It's never my intent and if I do please call me on it.  And I encourage others to let people know when they have crossed the line.

We ask that our non-Christian guests are civil.  We should be the same towards them.  Afterall what kind of image are we conveying? One of love or bitterness?

The people mentioned to apologize.  I took the first step.  If we can't own up to our faults then I will shut this board down for a bit so we can cool our jets a little.

Let's be civil from here on out.  If that's not possible please don't participate in these boards.  It's not easy, but it is possible.
OOOOOOOOOkkkkaaaayyyyyyyy!

Yeah, I'm sorry. But.... even among the names you mentioned -- the chief offenders, I presume -- we are courteous enough to each other, even with our disagreements. My problem comes with people who simply don't seem to belong in an intellectual mileau. Its not that their fantastically sharp retorts are frustrating -- I enjoy a fantastically sharp retort -- but when you go around and around and they don't get your point, and they can't make a solid point of their own, then you feel you've been wasting good time you could have better spent writing the Great Twentifirst Century Novel -- and then you take it out by barking at them. Isn't their a Page just for ditsy blonds? Oh wait... are we allowed to insult indeterminate people?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MaxX @ Oct. 14 2003,11:17)]The very reason I don't debate anymore is this very situation. It happens sooner or later.
I would be embarrassed to admit that I choose not to debate because everybody calls me stupid. I suppose this means you are less self-conscious than I.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (timor @ Oct. 14 2003,6:27)]Thank you very much CCGR for recognizing the situation. I agree that it was getting out of hand. I sincerely apologize to Thaddius and Lion of Judah - please, my freinds, forgive me for any disrespectful or even hateful words I may ever have spoken to you, especially in these last few days. It is my hope that, now, our further discussions may be centered soley on the matters and materials at hand, rather than the persons putting them forth.

edit --> Spelling.
Hi Timor,

Well there is no reason to apologize to Any Pussycat of Poughkipsee -- all he does is snipe at me from the sidelines. A fly deserves to be swatted. Save noble battles for other noblemen.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ultima Avatar @ Oct. 14 2003,8:31)]Ahh, the sweetness of the compassion of the human spirit...the pinnacle of human merciness, and perhaps the furthest one can advance in kindness to his brother. It is good.
Well, you are just being sweet. I don't think you have ever offended in this way, have you. That is nice.

Leo I don't think you're stupid at all, quite the contrary. You have a wealth of knowledge on Catholic history and their teachings. Your knowledge can be useful here we have some caatholics on this board and even though we don't see eye to eye on somehtings we still have the same basic beliefs in Jesus forgiving ours sins. We try not to be an Us Vs. Them forum. But we rejoice on what we have in common and discuss our differences in a friendly manner.

Leo are you trying to offend me or are you just being ignorant of what is really going on here, forgive as you have been forgiven and drop it. ha some doctrine reform you would have when you do not practice what you preach

To start this thread, was a bad idea.

This should be evident from the other thread on the same topic.

Though your intention was right.

the other thread pointed out the bickering (which was illistrated moments after), this thread was aimed to put an end to it and demand apologies and hopefully prevent further child like behavior.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My problem comes with people who simply don't seem to belong in an intellectual mileau.

Leo, this is just the nature of this forum. Keep in mind, this is really a site for Christian's who enjoy playing computer games. Some have debating skills, others do not. But we need to accept all. Many people here are high schoolers and do not have the experience or knowledge that someone like yourself has studied for years and years. I realize it can be frustrating at times, but that can be both a good and bad thing. The good comes because we have an opportunity to help people with their debating skills. I know mine have improved over the last 1 year + I have participated.

Personally, I see a lot of the current debates not really belonging on this site. There are other sites better suited for those types of discussions. It has turned into an "Us vs. Them" situation and that is not what this forum is about. Perhaps I am wrong, but lately, there also seems to be an agenda not necessarily to learn here but just to instigate turmoil. But this is totally my own viewpoint and may not be what other's are thinking.

This type of situation has come up in the past. We had a whole 'Eon is arrogant' thread which, he had no idea that was how he was coming off. Communication is always the key to understanding each other. It helped all sides understand each other better.

I have chosen to stay out of the current discussions simply because there have been an overwhelming number of posts/threads/topics. Unfortunately, I can't keep up with them all. I've sort of been picking and choosing which ones to read, but even then, I haven't been able to keep up.

CCGR,

I fully apologise to you, Timor.  I have got into a bit of bickering with you.  For that, I apologize.  

As for Leo, he has shown even in this post he cannot be civil.  I would hope you would deal with him appropriatly.  He brought not 1, but 2 personal attacks in this thread.

As for the rest of it, I've come to the belief this whole board is pointless.  They point out what they to believe contradictions in the Bible.  We refute them.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  From here on out, I may make a post in this forum here or there, but I'll no longer partake in any lengthy discussions here.  

Timor, Medai, BigJ,
You all have heard the message and have rejected it as the truth.   It is clear to me you spend more time trying to find what is wrong with Christianity than to see what is right with it. (btw, do you frequent other religions boards and try to disprove them or just Christians?)   I do hope that someday God will open your eyes before it is too late. Anyway..

God Bless.

Cory

I'm not starting an argument here, simply refuting and responding to your post -

80% of the time, your refutations are not sufficient to any but those who already believe.

While I have visited forums of other religions, I do admittedly spend most of my (religious board) time here, as I know Christianity much greater than I know others. Of course, Judaism would partially fall in there, too.

Thaddius, no matter how many valid arguments we may bring to these boards, I do not think that you will ever come around - you will continue to rationalize and to bend your mind around the Bible. Now, having a strong faith is admirable, but having a closed mind is not. Please do not take this as an attack, but simply a counter-sermon.
tounge.gif
Anyways, I hope that one day, you will open your own eyes and your own mind.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thaddius @ Oct. 15 2003,2:24)]Timor, Medai, BigJ,
You all have heard the message and have rejected it as the truth.   It is clear to me you spend more time trying to find what is wrong with Christianity than to see what is right with it. (btw, do you frequent other religions boards and try to disprove them or just Christians?)   I do hope that someday God will open your eyes before it is too late. Anyway..

God Bless.

Cory
No.

I began as a child.  I was taught Christianity, Baptist to be exact.  I was born again.  I read the Bible...OK, the NT...generally the gospels.  After all, that's the story of Jesus, upon which the whole belief system is built.

As I grew older, I felt like there was something wrong.  I explored myself, and thanks to my many loving Christian teachers, I gave my heart to Jesus again...heck, maybe they were right...maybe I was too young to understand.  Well, I definitely was old enough to understand the second time.

Like most Christians, my bible reading was limited to the NT and that which the preacher told us about in the OT in church (Oh!  Look...Isaiah said the messiah was born of a virgin...and lo...Jesus was.)

Problem was...I still like I was doing something wrong.  I figured since all of my relatives were Roman Catholics...I joined them.  Well, somehow I bungled through, made my first communion, and got confirmed.

Well, things happened in my life.  I then kinda vascilated as a luke warm Christian for a while.  Then I looked around, read, and saw no more evidence for the God of Abraham than for the God of India.  I then became a Deist...and I stayed there for a long time.  I then moved on to where I'm at now.

So, try to understand...I have read the Bible.  I was a Christian, whether anyone here believes me or not, I don't really care...just don't try to tell me I never was, because I definitely did everything to insure my salvation...unless we are predestined (not trying to get Calvinest here...that's for the other thread), but in that case...it doesn't matter.

I would love to have any of you convert me back.  Really.  Have at it.  And please note, this is NOT a challenge to anyone (except what's his face that said I was never saved).

Understand that if you can reconvert me...well...I think that would be impressive.  And if you do, I will co-author a book about my experience with you.  Heck, it would be the least I could do.

And...I don't go to non-christian theist boards.  Why?  What is the point?  I haven't read the Koran, Vedas...and my knowledge is rather limited there.

Let me know if anyone wants anything else clarified.

Very well put, BigJ.

Too often are we atheists accused of simply "rejecting the truth". You think that we don't *want* for there to be an omnibenevolent God looking out for us? How ridiculous! I would love it if life went on after this life, and if there was a great and loving sky-daddy on whom I could cast all my troubles.

Unfortunatly, I am quite inconvinced that there is a God, and I am quite convinced that the Christian god does not exist. Notice: Unconvinced of a god (agnostic/atheist/whateveryoureallywannacallme),
convinced against the Christian god.

Anyways, just thought I'd elaborate BigJ's post from my own position

There's a verse in the Bible that talk's against
Christian's being divided.

1 Corinthian 1:10 GNB

By the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ I appeal
to all of you, my friends, to agree in what you say,
so that there will be no divisions among you. Be
completely united, with only one thought and one
purpose.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Caleb @ Oct. 18 2003,1:01)]There's a verse in the Bible that talk's against
Christian's being divided.

1 Corinthian 1:10 GNB

By the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ I appeal
to all of you, my friends, to agree in what you say,
so that there will be no divisions among you. Be
completely united, with only one thought and one
purpose.
And you don't see the Irony in Paul saying such a thing? Paul had just gotten back from Jerusalem where he was able to push a resolution through dividing the Church between the Jewish and the Gentile factions. He would claim the Gentile Church as his own and only concede to Peter, the First Pope, the Jewish Branch.

Read Galatians. Paul only wanted unity on his own terms. He wanted 'his' Churches former behind him. He only showed contempt for the Real Apostles and The Church that Christ had established with The Jews.

Back