OK enough bickering, apologize

religion is based more on history than science. Do you believe that Jesus walked this earth, died and rose again? I too was raised Catholic, but switched.

Did you find a church that turned out Apostles on a daily basis?
Did you find a church that could attain by ALL FAITHE all JESUS CLASS MIRACLES?
What is it you accomplished in the switch?
i have very carefully examinated the errors of all THREE CHURCHES and can not see one GREATER than another.
it is only an illusion:the grass is greener on the otheside of the fence.
i suggest all stay PUT. amen
i am nothing0
JESUS IS THE LORD1PRAISE THE LORD1THE LORD YESHUA. AMEN

Christianity is based on FAITHE.
And science proves THE HOLY BIBLE. AMEN
i am nothing0.
JESUS IS THE LORD1PRAISE THE LORD1THE LORD YESHUA.
no i am not a christian scientist.
i am the third witness.
until someone can disprove it. amen

The Catholic church teaches man made doctrine and not salvation. Too much emphasis on Mary. Not enough digging into God's word. Check ou t my church www.harvestbible.org we have many missionaries and church plants. God is working here.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CCGR @ Oct. 20 2003,10:53)]religion is based more on history than science.  Do you believe that Jesus walked this earth, died and rose again?  I too was raised Catholic, but switched.
I am  not sure whether the man Jesus walked the earth or not. His story is pretty much identical to the "Mithras myths" which pre date the Jesus stories by some 300 year.

http://www.axaxa.com/philo_religio/myths.htm

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Mithras was a deity of immense popularity prior to Jesus (possibly as much as 300 years) and the early christians borrowed very heavily from his myths. Mithraism believed in the immortality of the soul, a future judgement, the resurrection of the dead and the second coming of Mithras himself who would then battle and defeat the principles of evil. He was born in a grotto, cave or stable, shepherds attended his birth and brought him gifts. Mithras died with a wound in his side and rose from the dead leaving a stone rolled away from the entrance to his tomb. Baptism and communion were important aspects of Mithraism. The Mithraic communion ritual involved the words: "He who shall not eat of my body nor drink of my blood so that he may be one with me and I with him shall not be saved."

But even if Jesus did exist, I do not believe he rose from the dead. That is clearly impossible.

The Bible is neither an history book nor a book of science. There is no empirical evidence to prove it to be any more than a book of fables and myths. Especially the OT seems very mythical in nature.

archeology has backed up many of the Bible's locations and rulers, you have to give it that much credit

Here is another page with info about Mithras. granted they were both suppose to be born in a manger and the eternal life concepts are similar but they are infact different. Jesus didn't slay any bulls and didn't go up in a chariot of fire.

http://www.dimensional.com/~randl/tarsus.htm

remember Christianity didn't start with Christ, it's orgins are in Judism and Christ was the promised messiah, many jews rejected him and are still waiting.

CCGR, you're contradicting yourself. First you said that religion is based more on history than on science...then, you reject the tradition of the Catholic church (history), and defend the Bible with archaeology (science)

also, I think Dibbler makes a great point with the Mithras myth

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CCGR @ Oct. 20 2003,1:09)]archeology has backed up many of the Bible's locations and rulers, you have to give it that much credit

Here is another page with info about Mithras.  granted they were both suppose to be born in a manger and the eternal life concepts are similar but they are infact different.  Jesus didn't slay any bulls and didn't go up in a chariot of fire.

http://www.dimensional.com/~randl/tarsus.htm

remember Christianity didn't start with Christ, it's orgins are in Judism and Christ was the promised messiah, many jews rejected him and are still waiting.
Well I have to admit to not being much of a biblical scholar. I found the NT to be quite an interesting read but I didn't like the OT at all, for obvious reasons.

Yes I agree the Mithras story isn't identical to the Jesuse story but there does appear to be enough similarities to make one suspect a little plagiarism on the part of the authors of the Biblical Jesus stories. Remember, there was only 4 years of Jesus' life chronicled in the bible and not a word written by Jesus himself.

I have my doubts but then I have a skeptical nature  
smile.gif

Here's another interesting link regarding The Origins of Christianity

Peace

Accurate geographical descriptions prove nothing. Stephen King has accurate descriptions of Boston in his novels (for example), and yet that does not make his stories true.

timor how familar are you with the catholic faith? they put their doctrine over the bible and tell the people not to read they bible in fear of misinterpretation.

I just heard of Mithras today and it has some similarities but more differences.
I feel the Bible is provable with acrhelogical findings, it does explain some scientific things but not very detailed.

I am quite familiar with the catholic faith, considering I have my Roman Catholic grandfather living right above my head atm, probably reading some Catholic newspaper

regarding Mithras, the similarities are startling, and are not extroardinarily common traits for heroes to have...makes ya wonder, doesn't it...?
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CCGR @ Oct. 20 2003,3:37)]timor how familar are you with the catholic faith?  they put their doctrine over the bible and tell the people not to read they bible in fear of misinterpretation.
I've never met two Christians yet who interperate the Bible the same.

Life is so much easier without religious dogma
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CCGR @ Oct. 20 2003,1:09)]archeology has backed up many of the Bible's locations and rulers, you have to give it that much credit
I'm curious to know...what parts have archaeology backed up? (I know I could Google a website, but...there are too many, so that's why I figured I'd ask you.)

Would even one example satisfy you?
Would you accept the geological evidence the same?
adelpit
i am nothingo.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adelpit346 @ Oct. 20 2003,7:50)]Would even one example satisfy you?
Would you accept the geological evidence the same?
adelpit
i am nothingo.
Honestly, no.
It would take more than one example. (See my next post.)

i think that what you really want to see is JESUS CLASS MIRACLES from someone who says they are nothing0 and gives all the glory to Jesus and His Father.
if so, then join me in imitating Paul, and we together will race to see what may happen.
i am nothing0.

Back