Official Guild Wars 2 Guild Discussion Thread

Yes the unlimited guild membership is a very interesting dynamic. It might make for some awkward situations where you are hanging out in a group with one guild's members while repping another guild at the same time.

Personally, I am against a rotating leadership theory, and that is not because my "job" is theoretically at stake. In certain instances a rotating leadership is ideal, however I think in a situation like this, continuity is important and it is problematic to find suitable leaders. In the history of SoE/SOE there has only been 4 or 5 leaders and they have all been appointed by the predecessor (with the approval and council of the officers) with much prayer and deliberation. There also is the idea that an unwilling leader is the best leader. I do not want to have "auditions" of sorts, asking members/officers who want to be in the leadership rotation as that is just another level for people to assume authority they necessarily may not deserve or cannot handle.

With that said, I think what we have now is very suitable. As far as I know we have yet to have a "dictator" calling all the shots without council. Internally in SoE/SOE, almost everything is discussed among the officers with the leader playing the tie-breaker/mediator role.

Taking that model into SoE/SOE, my vision is to have a set leader (whether that be me or someone else) and a collection of officers from all the guilds willing to get together. For numbers, sake it may not be possible to have every officer transfer over into the mega-guild, but there are definitely some people I believe should transfer over and there are those I definitely want to be on my team if that should be the case.

However, these questions are jumping the gun slightly. As I gather from the responses so far, it seems like most people are gravitating towards a conglomeration, provided that certain issues be addressed, IE. leadership, rules, ToJ, etc. Is this true? If so, we can begin earnestly addressing some of these concerns (which I would like to do in separate threads to keep line of thought congruent between topics)

EDIT: I am all for designated officer roles, WvW officers, PvE officers, recruitment, general, etc. Especially since there is so much more in GW2 as well as potentially record-breaking guild populations.

Last edited:
Well this is a ToJ guild correct? Those things you mentioned are not allowed by any ToJ members and would be grounds for immediate kicking from any ToJ guild in any game.

That is not exactly true. I will have to talk with Tek and see what precedence is set for sequels to games with previous chapters already. I am assuming that ToJ will want, and be receptive of, a GW2 chapter, whether that be a continuation of SoE or a whole new guild of sorts.

Of course, if a conglomeration is not the route we decide to take, SoE will continue on in GW2 as a ToJ chapter and I would highly suggest that if we do decide to merge that the new product (whatever it may look like) be affiliated with ToJ.

However, you are correct that if the new guild was under ToJ than any sort of botting and/or selling and/or breaking of EULA will be immediate grounds for kicking.

EDIT: PM to Tek sent

Last edited:
With that said, I think what we have now is very suitable. As far as I know we have yet to have a "dictator" calling all the shots without council. Internally in SoE/SOE, almost everything is discussed among the officers with the leader playing the tie-breaker/mediator role.

STC, from what I've seen you tend to act more as the chair of a committee, directing and organizing conversation among the officers toward consensus.

Your job (as I understand it) isn't necessarily to come up with crazy ideas and say, "This is what we're doing." But to moderate the discussion and make sure that we go somewhere constructive and faithful to our founding documents.

I think you do a great job at it too and I think that's exactly the model that we need for this setting.

STC, from what I've seen you tend to act more as the chair of a committee, directing and organizing conversation among the officers toward consensus.

Your job (as I understand it) isn't necessarily to come up with crazy ideas and say, "This is what we're doing." But to moderate the discussion and make sure that we go somewhere constructive and faithful to our founding documents.

Quoted for truth. That has been the position I've seen SoE/SOE led and it's the position I adopted. However, that is not to say that I, or my predecessor's, haven't had to make executive decisions, we just prefer to deliberate before hand.

I appreciate your compliment as well :)

I know that as far as GW2 merge, HsC does wish to merge with SoE. However, Wizard, Zephy, and myself do not want to be an officer.

We are waiting to hear whether Ryan wants to be one or not.

Our other current officer lives in England, so not sure yet, but doubt he'll want any officership either.

Also, I think when the time comes, we should have a GW2 chapter forum put up.

Thanks!

Kyrel glad to hear HsC would like to merge with SoE, but sad to hear good officer material would be lost. StC is it possible to work up a rough draft of what we would like to see as rules of conduct and general purpose of guild so that it could be discussed in this thread or another? I think giving everyone a chance to have some input would be an excellent idea. Although we are still groping in the dark some, a frame work of our purpose and conduct will make it easier to form a fully functional guild in the first few days.

As Kyrel said, I'm fine with us joining one guild. I would prefer that we use a new name, to create a new identity for ourselves in GW2. This might make is easier for members of the other guilds in the GW1 alliance to join as it won't feel so much like being "absorbed" so much as starting something new as a group. I think this would also appeal to new players in GW2 who never played GW1 in the sense that we're not trying to recreate something that existed in GW1

StC is it possible to work up a rough draft of what we would like to see as rules of conduct and general purpose of guild so that it could be discussed in this thread or another? I think giving everyone a chance to have some input would be an excellent idea. Although we are still groping in the dark some, a frame work of our purpose and conduct will make it easier to form a fully functional guild in the first few days.

Absolutely. I'll try and work on this and get it out within the next few days in a new thread.

Wizard said:
I would prefer that we use a new name, to create a new identity for ourselves in GW2. This might make is easier for members of the other guilds in the GW1 alliance to join as it won't feel so much like being "absorbed" so much as starting something new as a group. I think this would also appeal to new players in GW2 who never played GW1 in the sense that we're not trying to recreate something that existed in GW1

Ooohh.. I'm a big legacy guy. I like tradition and history and all that stuff, go figure I'm a history major. But I do understand your reasoning. However, that's all for a different discussion. ;)

Ooohh.. I'm a big legacy guy. I like tradition and history and all that stuff, go figure I'm a history major. But I do understand your reasoning. However, that's all for a different discussion. ;)

I agree with the idea that the guild should be new, and fresh.

I am one of the ones who really wants to play GW2 who had not been part of that legacy from GW1.

AND to be honest its hard to know what legacy or history there was because its a brand new game and unless someone wanted to dig through thread after thread of GW1 forums its a non issue.

I understand some will follow the group from GW1 to GW2, but to be honest it will have enough from other groups and from other games joining so much so that the legacy for what ever happened in GW1 is not the issue. I feel like it should be about drumming up excitement and freshness for GW2's guild. The game developers are pushing hard to make sure people know GW2 is not the same as GW1, in fact they have stressed this time and again.

New Game new flashy game, new guild! Its my opinion and although I understand your opinion on this, unless there will be a history book of the history of Tribe of Judah in Guild Wars, this seems like a non-issue to me.

This is my opinion and is not meant to be augmentative in any way.

I'm ok with a name change but I would really like to see the name Spirit of Elijah continue (as well as stay under STC's leadership). Unlike most of the other games, there are many SoE/SOE members that have continued to play and enjoy Guild Wars for years. There is most definitely a history here. On the other hand, a fair number of ToJ members that will be new to Guild Wars 2 tend to flit from game to game. They will try Guild Wars 2, probably find things that they don't like (no game is perfect) and leave in two to six months, off to a new game. It's happened with a few games within ToJ's realm. I'm sure that many of the original Guild Wars players will probably play Guild Wars 2 for years... until Guild Wars 3 comes out. :p

Anyway, I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm just voicing my opinion on the matter. There's definitely a history with the many loyal, long-time players of Guild Wars who have been active in the game and on the forums, patiently waiting for GW2 to finally come out.

I do think we should start a new Guild Wars 2 forum, however. Although the Guild Wars lore will continue, the game itself will be completely new. Some people may want to continue playing the original Guild Wars may not want a lot of Guild Wars 2 chatter mixed in.

On the other hand, a fair number of ToJ members that will be new to Guild Wars 2 tend to flit from game to game. They will try Guild Wars 2, probably find things that they don't like (no game is perfect) and leave in two to six months, off to a new game. It's happened with a few games within ToJ's realm.

You make it sound like that is a bad thing. Am I reading that correctly? I think it is one of the neatest things about ToJ.

GW and SoE were my first experiences with ToJ about 6-7 years ago. I played GW hardcore for a year or so then saw that ToJ had a WoW guild and moved over there, played that for over a year and then moved on to other MMOs like EQ2, Aion and others. We had a solid Rift guild that was a blast for 6 months or so before it died. Sadly SWTOR didn't last but a month in enjoyment for me. I saw many of the same ToJ friends in the next game, and sometimes I didn't see some till a couple games down the road.

I think it is great that some people play the same game for 5+ years straight, but I don't think that should give them any priority or seniority in GW2. Besides, if the game is as fantastic as it looks, it could keep most MMO junkies around for a long time and with it being so drastically different from GW1 those oldtimers might not like it and go back to gw1.

I didn't mean to make it sound the way it did. I just wanted to voice my reasoning on why the name should remain.

No matter what, you will have a ton of SoE/SOE guild members joining whatever the guild will be named, that will provide continuity, which is a good thing. And from experience I know that SoE/SOE welcome new people into the fold without reservation. After all it is a Christian guild, and those that are attracted to it tend to be Christians, not all I know, but enough to welcome them as brothers and sisters in Christ. Also there will be the fun of learning a new game together, both PvP and PVE. Yes a few of us are uncertain how we will do in non-instanced worlds, but I can see too the potential fun of a gang of 15-20 guild members tackling a section of PVE content together, not matter if they were original SoE/SOE/HsC, new to the history of GW or whatever. Remember that Anet itself is providing some serious continuity to the two games, even though GW2 is a totally new and different game. So recycling the SoE name should not affect the play of the game within the guild.

oops I forgot to add that Orry still has to decide, so I'll leave it to him to post.

And post I shall.

I'm good with joining SoE and have no interest in being an officer at this time. the suggestion of a name change is an interesting one as well.

Ok, after talking it over with my other guildmates, checking out our options:
We will migrate the current sHg guild over to gw2 for more small-scale stuff. We would also like to join SoE (or whatever the new one will be named) to be able to assist in larger-scale events/pvp and such, without any sort of expectation that we'd want to be officers. Based on the info available, you can be "members" of multiple guilds, but only represent one at a time.

In that sense, it would be similar to our alliance setup. In full disclosure, we do have some coworkers and such that we do want to ally with, but they would probably not be soe members. This type of setup would satisfy both ends of things, as long as this is agreeable with SoE.

We also seem to be looking at officer material here in this thread, so let me throw my 1.5 cents worth in. I've been member, officer, and leader over 3 guilds, but member is just fine by me. If the leader and other officers think it might be possible I could help in officer position I will volunteer to do so. But please don't pick me blindly just because I am currently an officer in SOE. If we have more qualified people migrating from other guilds please use them, Kyrel that means you too. But most of all pray about it.

We also seem to be looking at officer material here in this thread, so let me throw my 1.5 cents worth in. I've been member, officer, and leader over 3 guilds, but member is just fine by me. If the leader and other officers think it might be possible I could help in officer position I will volunteer to do so. But please don't pick me blindly just because I am currently an officer in SOE. If we have more qualified people migrating from other guilds please use them, Kyrel that means you too. But most of all pray about it.

Fwiw, I'm not opposed to being an officer, just that it's not something I'm actively seeking. Truth be told, I'm not sure how much game time I'll have whenever the game is actually released since life/priorities can change in short timespans. Just based on how I play gw1, I'm usually active for a few months at a time, then disappear for a few months.

Little things here and there make me a rather cyclical gamer - I'm not one to stick to one game exclusively, but will rotate through games periodically. I even find myself playing through some of my old snes games on occasion, just to break monotony and revisit some good old classics.

Back