Nintendo announces the Nintendo Switch (a.k.a. Nintendo NX)

I'm probably the only one who does but all the name "Switch" does is bring thoughts of Nintendo flogging someone with it.

Gimmick seems gimmicky but then that's Nintendo because they can't compete on the high graphics end. SD cards are supposed to be good but the whole clip on controller thing seems a bit pendulous, it might work though.

I hope it works out for Nintendo. Another Virtual Boy would probably make the company follow Sega. The Switch looks solid enough, at worst people just won't take it outside. As long as Nintendo delivers on the games (which oddly enough game companies still haven't learned to prioritize after decades) it should be fine.

Last edited:
THIS LOOKS AWESOME!

No way I am using those controllers, Pro controller will be mandatory.

I predict 299 base and 399 for deluxe with a 499 special Zelda bundle.

Last edited:
So I was trying to remember if and when I publicly predicted that gaming consoles and handhelds would eventually merge and I found this post I made just over 5 years ago, in June 2011:

Anyway, I think most gamers are too busy making WE YU AMBULENCE HAR HAR jokes to understand the implications this has for the future of gaming. Nintendo is effectively blurring the lines between console and handheld and paving the way to a unified system, which is something I predicted was 2 or maybe 3 generations out after the 360, Wii/DS, and PS3/PSP were released. Now Sony is touting Vita/PS3 connectivity and Nintendo revealed the Wii U.

[...]

Silly name aside, I'm interested to see how this shakes things up. With tablet PCs gaining momentum in the consumer market, Nintendo's move makes sense.

Source: http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/threads/e3-2011.41987/page-2#post-423856

So I was trying to remember if and when I publicly predicted that gaming consoles and handhelds would eventually merge and I found this post I made just over 5 years ago, in June 2011:

Source: http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/threads/e3-2011.41987/page-2#post-423856

A feather in your cap to be sure and I feel ya on the predicting things. We should just take over and run things ;) .

It makes sense for Nintendo to be the one to do something innovative when they can't compete on the high end. Though I do think with the rise of the cell phone handhelds have become a little marginalized. People now probably rely on cell phones for "I didn't know I was going to be waiting" moments and will use the Switch for predicted "I know I'm going to be bored for a while" moments, trips, expected long lines, etc. . If you can't fit it in a pocket/purse/etc. it's a different market because you don't want to lug around a $400~ something you can easily lose (Does the Switch fit in a pocket? /wonders). Sure hope it works out for Nintendo. Whatever the case it's definitely a better idea than trying to compete with the Playstation and Xbox :) .

Now if they could only make a handheld console a DECENT phone too and put a newer, better, exclusive version of Pokemon go on it...

...also flexible monitors, just saying bigger size if it unrolls and locks into place...

Last edited:
Back