E3 2011

Sony E3 conference is live. View it here.

I'm in ToJ's PlayStation channel on the CGA TeamSpeak Server and in #cga on irc.us.gamesurge.net. Feel free to join me either on TS or on IRC (or both)!

A few thoughts on the Sony presentation:

I love that audience members actually booed at the news that AT&T would be the exclusive 3G service provider for the PS Vita. AT&T isn't considered the worst wireless provider in America without reason, Sony.

I can't believe they're actually calling it the PS Vita. Then again, we thought Nintendo was crazy for renaming the Revolution to "Wii," so I guess I'll wait and see how it turns out.

Dust 514 is a FPS game and a PS3 exclusive? What a waste. The game looks interesting and the concept of a FPS tying into a MMO intrigues me, but proper FPS games are meant to be played with a keyboard and mouse. Well, there goes any interest I may have had in D514.

/facepalm at Irrational Games. Are you so un-confident in Bioshock Infinite that you have to highlight a plastic-looking damsel-in-distress's cleavage to attract attention? BS1 inspired intelligent debate among gamers--a rare feat. Now you're resorting to cleavage-in-your-face tactics? /smh

I realized just how tired I am of overdramatic grimdarksrsbizness trailers for video games. Lighten up, people. Grow a sense of humor. /jaded

The PSN-exclusive Star Trek game looks kinda cool.

Not gonna lie. The PS Vita, dumb name and all, does interest me. If someone gave me $250 and told me I had to spend it on a portable system, I'd probably get the Vita instead of a 3DS--and I <3 my DS Lite and GBA SP. But we'll see how the libraries for each system stack up in 2-3 years (when I may actually be able to afford a new handheld).

EDIT: And why did they design the Vita to use 3G technology when wireless providers are now advertising 4G? Doesn't that seem shortsighted? Well, here's hoping they won't renew their deal with the devil (e.g. contract with AT&T) and a second generation model will be able to use 4G service from other carriers.

EDIT#2: Wait, wut? You'll be able to unlock Uncharted 3 multiplayer at...Subway? Are you trollin', Sony? Okay, srsly, where's the hidden camera?

Last edited:
Dust 514 is a FPS game and a PS3 exclusive? What a waste. The game looks interesting and the concept of a FPS tying into a MMO intrigues me, but proper FPS games are meant to be played with a keyboard and mouse. Well, there goes any interest I may have had in D514.

Dust was originally designed and intended to be a console FPS back in 2009. The reason they didn't go with XBL as well is due to Microsoft's hardcore stance against third party servers which is what everything about the game requires. As to why they didn't go PC hasn't really been explained, but is likely (at least in part) due to things like the FPS PC market isn't anywhere near the size of the console FPS market is.

I may try out the sharpshooter control system when the game is released (they have stated that the game is being developed to also allow for Playstation Move controls).

About the other notes + my notes:
Subway = Awesome.
I laughed at the AT&T joke. Wait, it wasn't a joke? >.>
BF3 looks fantastic.
Insomniac's Overstrike looks like awesome fun.
Reckoning looks great.
Caffeine man should give up show business.
I want ME3 out right now.
Ghost Recon looks dated. Kinect controls may be nice.
Voice command Kinect may or may not be interesting. I'm going to try to get my roommate to buy ME3 for the 360 so I can see how it goes.

Sony impresses me again. Yeah, the Vita is a dumb name, but it looks awesome as all get out. The 3DS does whatsa now?

And Dust is an exclusive? Woot!

I was giddy most of the presentation. That co-op 3D TV bundle looks insaaaaaaane. xD

The 3DS does whatsa now?
3D without glasses. Man, your short-term memory is awful.

So I watched Nintendo's E3 keynote and thought they did a good job. Not great, but good. They could have led with a clear message that the Wii U is a new console, not a new controller. They made that abundantly clear by the end of the keynote that the Wii U IS a new console and has the horsepower to run games that would have released only on the 360 and PS3 otherwise.

I know the Joystiq hivemind has already decided that the Wii successor is trash, but I think those of us with even a basic understanding of the games industry, a passable long-term memory, and even an inkling of foresight can understand Nintendo is not a dumb company.

We also don't know exactly how powerful the Wii U yet, but many have already written it off as "on par" with the 360 and PS3. We may yet discover it's even more powerful than either console, but nope, let's just make assumptions.

/smh

Anyway, I think most gamers are too busy making WE YU AMBULENCE HAR HAR jokes to understand the implications this has for the future of gaming. Nintendo is effectively blurring the lines between console and handheld and paving the way to a unified system, which is something I predicted was 2 or maybe 3 generations out after the 360, Wii/DS, and PS3/PSP were released. Now Sony is touting Vita/PS3 connectivity and Nintendo revealed the Wii U.

Okay, yes, the Wii U name sounds dumb. And it does sound like an ambulance or a battlecry from a low budget martial arts flick. Let's just get that out of the way.

Silly name aside, I'm interested to see how this shakes things up. With tablet PCs gaining momentum in the consumer market, Nintendo's move makes sense. I just doubt anyone who says so will be heard above the deafening nerdrage in the coming weeks.

And yes, I still want a Vita. It has a silly name, too, but I still want one.

I want to know when the other two next generation consoles come out, not because I'll buy one, but to know how the WiiU will compare to them (in terms of graphics). I was disappointed when I learned that while the Wii outclassed the 360 and PS3 in terms of innovation, it lacked the horsepower to make games look amazing... the way the 360 and PS3 do.

...EDIT: And why did they design the Vita to use 3G technology when wireless providers are now advertising 4G? Doesn't that seem shortsighted? Well, here's hoping they won't renew their deal with the devil (e.g. contract with AT&T) and a second generation model will be able to use 4G service from other carriers...

You answered your own question, sort of. They want to charge you out the nose ($250 is a lot of money...) for dated technology so they can eventually charge you even more for what will then be the standard technology, an "upgrade".

Last edited:
They want to charge you out the nose ($250 is a lot of money...) for dated technology so they can eventually charge you even more for what will then be the standard technology, an "upgrade".

following Apple's iPad in that regard.

Tek - you said what I have been thinking concerning Nintendo...yeah maybe they don't develop the Top-notch FPS or Grand Theft style games, BUT one thing about Nintendo I have ALWAYS enjoyed is the family appeal no matter what I can get a game and for the most part my kids can watch me play and not have to worry about some of the profanity in the other systems...YES, I know PS3 and Xbox is geared toward older generations, but I think that may be where Nintendo is going to win out, because the kids will play Nintendo's Mario before they play a Fallout style game. :) Just my thoughts...but then again all we have is Nintendo...again mainly because I know my kids can play most of the games for several years.

Dust 514 may be exclusive to PS3, but it will be Free to Play.

If you've got a PS3, you'll have no legitimate reason for not at least trying it out. (and I will likely badger all known owners of said console to get on once it comes...) :p

Back