New host - new world?

Josh2415

Tribe of Judah Minecraft Server Operator
We now have a new host for the ToJ Minecraft server. This time it is through a hosting provider, not on a private computer, so we should see speed and up-time benefits. We needed to move it off of bl's personal sever, so that's why we are switching.

I was copying the world to make the switch practically invisible to everyone, but there are a looooot of files (it wasn't bad until I hit a directory that apparently has 500,000 files down the tree). It's going to take a long time to copy these, and I doubt I could do it in between player logins, so I would have to take the server down for a while -- maybe a day or two.

In light of this, I propose we start a new vanilla 1.7.2 world. The latest 1.7.3 snapshot will work with it (the update just enables Twitch.tv broadcasting from in-game). We have no idea how long Bukkit may take to get 1.7.3 out. It could be weeks. So we lose things like /home, /spawn, and multiple worlds. But we can enjoy the new biomes. Once Bukkit updates, we can just drop that on top of the new world and have all our handy features again and keep using the 1.7.2 world. This question would arise when Bukkit gets updated anyway (new world or keep old one), circumstances have just

tl;dr version
We have a choice: start a new, 1.7.2 world now and add Bukkit back to it when that finally gets here.
OR Stick with the old worlds (Caladan & Legacy) until Bukkit updates and use the Frontier or traveling far to explore the new biomes then, trying to copy all the files to the new server (which would take the servers off-line for a day or two).

The new server IP address is still mc.toj.cc

I am starting the 1.7.2 new world on the new server, because that would be my choice and it's easiest for me. The two reasons are somewhat related. :D But should we choose the other option, I will try to copy the files over instead.

PS: It would also be interesting to see how many people we can get on at once to see how many the server can handle. So if you want to log in, dig a hole, drop in, and seal yourself up, feel free to go AFK then. :)

Last edited:
The new server needs a whitelist like the old one. Rather than copy the file, I've just manually added the users I've seen online recently, like in the last few months, or you ancient ones (yes you, ben, grey, and Tek). If you're not on the whitelist, it could very well be that I either missed you (sorry!) or typed your name wrong (it happens). Just post here and I'll fix it as soon as I can!

Last edited:
Im in favor of a new 1.7.2 world as vanilla, then adding Bukkit for permissions, and stuff like that. I do think we went a little crazy with the amount of plugins we currently have (myself to blame mostly..).

Maybe we can have a thread where plugins could get suggested, then voted on?

As I've said in the past, I'm in favor of almost no plugins. A chest locker, a graylist (let anyone in but limit what they can do and where they can go till they prove trustworthy) and the stick plugin that let you hit things with a stick to see who changed it.

I'm looking to play on a server with my daughter in the future and I've even looked into renting one for us to play on once we get on the road full time next year. If we could play on the ToJ server instead of renting that would be a real blessing and I would probably even be able to donate to the server.

However, as you already pointed out, the last server was a little crazy with plugins. Let me know what y'all are gonna do and please keep me whitelisted. Thanks!

*raises hand* Tried to get on but wouldn't let me.

Duhhhh version was issue.

*raises hand again* Nope, I'm not whitelisted *looks just like avatar*

Last edited:
Ooops, sorry Abea! Now you are! I added a handful to a prior server whitelist, and forgot you weren't on this one I guess. :)

Ugh... Creeper anti-grief plugin is one of the worst in my opinion. It's like riding a bike with training wheels. It's just no fun for me.

Let me know if you get rid of it and I'll come back but till then I'll stick to single player I guess.

Either way, thank you for your hard work and efforts.

Could I get added to the whitelist again? It's been a while since I've played, but I'd be interested in giving vanilla another try!

Sorry to hear that Wolf.. I'm not in favor of a grey-list, other wise I am actually fine with no plugins at all.. In saying that I dont mind having them either.. :)

I suggest a grey-list because it brings people into the server and gives us a chance to tell them about Christ without them griefing. It would also increase the traffic which would increase the traffic here in the forums and might lead to more donations. But I also understand Tek's position that our servers are for fellowship and clean gaming environments more than witnessing opportunities so I'm ok with a white list too.

I left signs letting people know I'm not going to settle the village and anyone can have what I started if y'all go ahead and stay on that island. But if you do get rid of the creeper mod let me know cause I miss playing with yous guys.

Just a quick note: The setting that enables/disables creeper explosions from blowing up terrain/blocks is a gamerule in vanilla Minecraft called "mobGriefing."

My concerns about a "grey-list" - I have stated these before, but going to reiterate them.

I do not want to end up like the WWJD server. I know that was their ministry, and that was great, for them. When we were residents on their server, our moderators, myself included, were doing more moderating than actual playing. I would rather have a server where 10 people play who can trust each other, than an overflowing server where we have to be police every time we log in. If that means we lose people, then I'm sorry for that.

The "mobGriefing" setting is also the one that stop Enderman from moving blocks. I understand that creepers and enderman are part of the game, but it can be very frustrating when you are being careful around creepers, but someone else comes exploring, and blows up part of your base... And hey, if its in vanilla, its not cheating, right? ;)

You are correct about the grey list. It is for a ministry server. You can spend a lot more time ministering and witnessing than playing. As I said, that is Tek's position as well. ToJ is for fellowship and a safe gaming environment for us more than a ministry/witnessing environment. I have no problem with that but thought I'd suggest it anyway.

To me, mobgriefing is like superflat. Yes, it's a setting you can choose during setup but it makes the game so much less fun that I'd rather not play where it's used because I use creepers so much and spend so much time and effort making my places safe to visit and mob free.

So basically, we agree but have different opinions. No prob. Have fun, enjoy the server and your hard work. And thank you. But if you remove mobgriefing, please let me know.

We have very little in the way of ranks/permissions in vanilla Minecraft. Basically ops and players. Through the sever client software, though, I can add a little bit of that functionality. The ranks are as follows:

Ops: Lost_Shepherd & blsimpson --- these guys can ban, kick, go into creative mode, etc., anything Minecraft allows
Moderators: Abea, SSKitten, TDWfan --- these guys are just players but have access to one additional command: modban. If someone is caught griefing or being naughty in chat, mods can ban them. Moderators are a few more eyes and ears to keep the server a fun place. (Moderators: To use this command, type "modban (username) (reason)" Note, this does NOT have a slash. Example: modban ImACreeper Setting off TNT at people's houses.) The person does not have to be online to be banned.
Players: everyone else

We have very little in the way of ranks/permissions in vanilla Minecraft. Basically ops and players. Through the sever client software, though, I can add a little bit of that functionality. The ranks are as follows:

Ops: Lost_Shepherd & blsimpson --- these guys can ban, kick, go into creative mode, etc., anything Minecraft allows
Moderators: Abea, SSKitten, TDWfan --- these guys are just players but have access to one additional command: modban. If someone is caught griefing or being naughty in chat, mods can ban them. Moderators are a few more eyes and ears to keep the server a fun place. (Moderators: To use this command, type "modban (username) (reason)" Note, this does NOT have a slash. Example: modban ImACreeper Setting off TNT at people's houses.) The person does not have to be online to be banned.
Players: everyone else

Wait what?

Back