LOE TS3-Mumble Poll

Should Legacy of Elijah use Team Speak 3 or Mumble?

• Team Speak 3

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Mumble

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • No Preference

Votes: 13 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A big part of my problem with mumble is the elitist attitude about it. On the BWE in March, I was using mumble, and everyone could hear me just fine (Fire, raven, ursen, among others) left for dinner, came back, and nobody could hear. I did nothing different, headest hung up same place as always, microphone boom moved into the same place as always. What do I get? Basically: "Oh, you don't know what you're doing, you didn't set it up right." Last time I saw a pile of manure that big was on a farm. Their prize pony quit working right. It's a problem I never had with Vent, TS3, Skype, or any other VoIP service. The lack of user control only makes the problem worse.

And Tarsis, weren't you playing with some of us this prior BWE? The name sounds familiar, but as to my knowledge, it was an enjoyable experience partying with the various people over this last weekend and why it would be upsetting isn't something I can see.

On the BWE in March, I was using mumble, and everyone could hear me just fine (Fire, raven, ursen, among others) left for dinner, came back, and nobody could hear. I did nothing different, headest hung up same place as always, microphone boom moved into the same place as always. What do I get? Basically: "Oh, you don't know what you're doing, you didn't set it up right." Last time I saw a pile of manure that big was on a farm. Their prize pony quit working right. It's a problem I never had with Vent, TS3, Skype, or any other VoIP service. The lack of user control only makes the problem worse.

So what did you do to fix it? ( so others can benefit) Or is no one able to hear you still?

What lack of user control are you referring to?

Last edited:
A big part of my problem with mumble is the elitist attitude about it.

My view is the opposite. I see an elitist attitude from the TS3 SOE gang who "seem" to produce endless issues with mumble that no one else has mysteriously. I have offered to help quite a few times but no one took me up on the offer seriously.

That being said when there are competing products there are bound to be fanboys on both sides. When you make comments like "X product has issues I have never seen on ANY other VoIP product" you are bound to offend someone and make them defensive. Just saying.

Last edited:
The elitist attitude we see is the implication that we're stupid for not being able to set up mumble efficiently or that there is something wrong with us because we're not in love with mumble. Maybe that's not what you truly mean but that's what is coming across. Now you seem to think that we're lying when we say we have issues that you don't.

To be honest, mumble is the hardest VOIP to set up that I've encountered. I've used TS for years and been very happy with it and just didn't understand why we should be forced to move. The reason given is that it will unite the guild, but it seems to be tearing us apart more than uniting. I get the impression that mumble is a wonderful tool for the "techie" type of person. If you enjoy fiddling with all the controls and have the technical expertise to configure it correctly then it's great, but if you don't or if the people you're chatting with on mumble don't then you're gonna have problems. It's not just one or two people that have had issues with mumble, it's many of us.

We'll move to mumble because we have no choice. I can understand Tek saying it's frustrating to keep TS up and running and since he's hosting the server it's his decision and i'm not going to try and change his mind, but we will definitely miss it and the nice sound quality it offers.

Yes, you've offered to help, but only if you can dial in to my computer. Sorry but like I said before that's a bit invasive for my taste. I don't want to re-open that argument. That's my decision and I hope you respect it. Besides, I think I've worked out most of the issues on my end. The links provided earlier in the thread were helpful. From what I've been hearing from others, the sound quality issues I experience now are because others in the channel have not set up their mumble clients correctly. On TS we have the option to adjust the volume of folks that are too loud or too soft so we can hear them better. Mumble doesn't have that option and this is probably why AJ is complaining about the lack of controls. I know you've said (and the mumble support techs say) that this isn't necessary because mumble auto-adjusts everyone to the same volume level. I haven't seen that.

Maybe once everyone has been using the VOIP for a few months and has the time to properly learn the app, these issues will go away. I hope so.
I used mumble during the last BWE and overall the experience was better than the previous times I've used it. I think that's a good sign.

I've said my piece. I just had to get the frustrations out and I hope you can see where we're coming from. For now I'd just like to see the attitudes dropped on both sides. Please respect that some of us are not as technical as others and that mumble is more difficult than other VOIP apps. This doesn't mean we're stupid. In return we'll try to stop complaining about mumble and learn to live with it. We just need to agree to disagree on which VOIP is the best on the market. (And i thought the TS/Vent fights were bad)

-------------------------------------------------------

Ok, now that I've gotten half the guild mad at me, lets turn to the other controversial topic in this thread and just get it all over with at once.

Tag, i'm not sure if you're still reading this thread or not, but if you are then I apologize if I've personally offended you somehow. Honestly, I'm not sure why you said you're not welcomed here. Were you on mumble last weekend during the beta? I don't remember seeing you there but I'm still learning all the new folks tags (Uh, no pun intended).

Is there a specific incident or person that was rude to you either ingame or on mumble? If so, I think the SOE/LOE officers would like to know about that so they can take steps to correct the problem. You don't need to go into details on this thread if you feel it's better handled in private but send a message to STC or one of the other officers or speak to a TOJ admin if you don't feel comfortable dealing with us.

I guess what I'm saying is there's a problem somewhere if you don't feel welcomed with fellow Christians. We'd like to fix it but if we don't know what the problem is we can't help. Hopefully it's just a simple misunderstanding. Come onto mumble or TS and chat with us. Get to know us better. Do you own Guild Wars at all? If so we could meet up ingame and do some missions together. If not, well we might try to convince you to buy it. It's still a nice game and currently fairly cheap. If you aren't interested though, some of us do have other games that we're active in and could team up with you there.
------------------------------------------------

We're Christians. We shouldn't be bickering like this. We should be supporting and encouraging each other.

Okay, as one who has followed the discussion, but doesn't really have a strong preference, I'll add two cents.

My experience has been with TS2, Vent, TS3, and now Mumble. I'm new to Mumble. So far, following the directions posted within this website, I got it working. And it has worked except when the server went down. So far, everything has been going good for me with Mumble (but I'm new so I really didn't do much adjusting with options so I may have issues in the future).

And honestly, Mumble seems like TS3 and Vent. Its got stuff to activate and adjust and its going to take time to get used to. I just hope when I need to adjust something, someone who knows how its supposed to work is around to talk me through it.

My bottom line is simple: a good chat system that works. I don't care what brand it is. My personal preference is Vent, but that's not an option here. So I'll adapt and learn the new program. No big deal.

Okay, as one who has followed the discussion, but doesn't really have a strong preference, I'll add two cents.

My experience has been with TS2, Vent, TS3, and now Mumble. I'm new to Mumble. So far, following the directions posted within this website, I got it working. And it has worked except when the server went down. So far, everything has been going good for me with Mumble (but I'm new so I really didn't do much adjusting with options so I may have issues in the future).

And honestly, Mumble seems like TS3 and Vent. Its got stuff to activate and adjust and its going to take time to get used to. I just hope when I need to adjust something, someone who knows how its supposed to work is around to talk me through it.

My bottom line is simple: a good chat system that works. I don't care what brand it is. My personal preference is Vent, but that's not an option here. So I'll adapt and learn the new program. No big deal.

Exactly what Taran said here...and one thing, I'm not a techie at all...but after people helping me I have no problem fixing up Mumble, it's actually gotten easy

That is good to hear - thanks, Narius.

Yep! I wasn't sure if I should've said anything, but I decided to so I just wanted to say that it DOES get easy....just gotta get some help if you need it...especially if you're not tech-savvy. I am not at all ;P

I have tried both I would prefer TS only because the download during use is minimal (my isp limits me to a 350 meg dl per day). I found mumble very easy to use and it made the game enjoyable.Either way I can work with just have to limit the time on either one (use on guild events)

I'm trying mumble for the first time this wknd. my preference is also vent, but more than willing to try something new. We'll see how it goes.

So what can we do about trolls in mumble. There's one on now that we can't block and it looks like there are no mumble admins around today.

I need to get a new headset. So no chatting for me. Hope to get one by launch.
I had to get a new headset too. I usually get whatever Logitech brand that Walmart has. I picked up this one a couple of days ago. This is an Amazon link but I got mine at Walmart for around $35. It has good sound through the headphones and a noise-canceling mic. People say I sound very clear, so I'd say the mic is ok.

So what can we do about trolls in mumble. There's one on now that we can't block and it looks like there are no mumble admins around today.
I took care of it yesterday. I banned the same user 10+ times because he was switching IP addresses, so I finally put a password on the server (though I hated having to do it since I like for any server or service we provide to be as inviting and convenient as possible).

Guild members can get the password and instructions on how to enter it in the Mumble client from anyone with access to the LoE Officers forum.

Back