Linux v. Windows v. Mac v. whatever

google uses a large portion of linux, they developed their own filesystem, its neat but is designed for single access (ie localized disk in cluster)

most people dual boot linux/windows
This is true. I do this.

this works great.
This is not true. There are nothing but third-rate drivers for any hardware I have. Linux has a long way to go before gamers will be able to use things like gaming mice, or nostromo pads, or Sound Blaster sound cards, or 5.1 surround sound headsets. This means that not only can I not game on linux, but I can also:
  • not listen to music
  • not use my forward/back buttons on my mouse when I surf
  • only get sound to come out of the speakers of my laptop even when I have headphones plugged in
  • not disable mouse acceleration
  • not use Open Office for classwork, since graphs made with OO and saved in MS format get corrupted
  • not use any music composition / MIDI software (no Cakewalk, no Pro Tools, no Reason, no Acid)
The only reason I have Linux at all is for doing programming work. The only "cool thing" in which Windows can't even compare to linux, is XGL/Compiz, but that's really buggy stuff at the moment.

Last edited:
last I checked all of those worked, and their are several awsome music composition softwares. and the open office stuff is tweakable, its just a matter of fiddling with it to work properly in the m$ extensions.

last I checked all of those worked

Not on my system they don't! Logitech, Creative, and Nostromo have never, to my knowledge, released Linux drivers for any of their products. The Nostromo pad and the MX518 mouse will both work using their default settings, but I can't do things like disable mouse acceleration, or disable the DPI switching feature of the mouse, or rebind keys on my n52 or program macros, because Linux just doesn't have drivers for those things.

Regarding the music composition software, I don't mean replacement "sorta-like" programs. I mean the ability to run the industry standards. Linux has pretty bad MIDI controller support from what I can ascertain, and none of the sequencing or audio editing software I have seen for Linux has come close to what Macintosh or Windows can offer. A Mactinosh would be better than the Windows that I have now, to be honest, but I like the ability to build and maintain my systems myself, and they don't sell copies of MacOS. Plus there aren't Mac drivers for any of my hardware peripherals either, so that would be the same problem as Linux.

my mx518 works great, I have most of my keys rebound, including the dpi switch. the gamepads are just usb devices, people have already made drivers for them. just because the coorperate dumb nuts arnt willing to spend r&d to develop linux drivers doesnt mean it doesnt exist.

Regarding the music composition software, I don't mean replacement "sorta-like" programs. I mean the ability to run the industry standards. Linux has pretty bad MIDI controller support from what I can ascertain, and none of the sequencing or audio editing software I have seen for Linux has come close to what Macintosh or Windows can offer. A Mactinosh would be better than the Windows that I have now, to be honest, but I like the ability to build and maintain my systems myself, and they don't sell copies of MacOS. Plus there aren't Mac drivers for any of my hardware peripherals either, so that would be the same problem as Linux.
linux actually is better then windows for most recording and on par with mac, and you havent looked around much :p Most of the better versions will use jack with the ability for realtime audio (which means <2ms latency).

I use ardour for multitrack recording, it works great. midi sequencers are plenty, you just have to actually look.

Yeah, well, my entire Windows system works great.

so does my dual boot osx/linux, they love each other, in a good way.

I will beable to laugh hysterically when vista comes out, we will see how well you hardware works then :p

oh and ftw, linux had a 3d desktop long before windows even thought of the idea :p

linux actually is better then windows for most recording and on par with mac, and you havent looked around much :p Most of the better versions will use jack with the ability for realtime audio (which means <2ms latency).

I use ardour for multitrack recording, it works great. midi sequencers are plenty, you just have to actually look.

But what about support for audio interfaces like Aardvarks and the like?

Also, thanks for providing links to everything so I can check it out for myself.

Sigh...

Considering the lack of activity on these forums, I guess I'll say something.

Vista is going to own VibroKatana.

sure if you consider a operating sustem that hogs more then 3gb of ram default as something that will own me...

You will end up paying 500 bucks to get the premium package if you want to use aero, which runs like trash on most hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
VK, do you have windows running on any of your systems? If so, why? If you hate it so much and can do anything you want on another OS, why run it?

um actually vibro has fun useing console commands..... i dont mind it to much but it becomes a pain after a while

I have a gui also, its not all about the console.

but other then some nice eye candy and a few dozen consoles, thats all I need :p

windows is boring because dos doesnt do half as much as my linux install.

Back