Linux huh! what is it good for?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (amusedtoe @ Mar. 06 2003,6:09)]See Tek I could ask you, and then you could do it but then there's that slight problem of the cd's magically traversing half the country from Oklahoma to Michigan. ;-)
Hrm...I knew I bought those twelve bubble mailers for a reason...besides the fact that they were on sale.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, I can send them over, no problem. I just have to talk to Mad Chengman (otherwise known locally as Chris) so I can borrow and clone Red Hat.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kasimir @ Mar. 06 2003,5:13)]tek ...any specific reason why you are replacin mandrake with rh ??
Not a logical one, no. I just want to learn new shtuff.

It's not logical to take the time to install and completely learn a whole new OS, only to throw it into emulation mode so it looks and feels like the old one. And if you don't do lindows, you'll soon find it a pain to do things in linux compared to windows. I've tried RH myself and was glad to frag the harddrive afterwards.

Windows is fine for now.

p.s. Stay away from Novell whatever you do!

I may replace Mandrake with another distro soon too, just to try a different one out for awhile. Right now everything I'm doing is just tinkering around in Linux. Mandrake, however, is a very bloated OS, it was using up 380 meg of ram at one point. I'm not sure what was all running though, but there was an apache server going.

wow, 380mb of RAM?

out of 512... wow.... you know... Windows XP only takes up 100... seriously. thats a high mid-range figure there...

Well I was running various servers which I had inadvertently added to my list to start at boot. I cleaned that out and now it's back down in a normal range. Also, you can host an html server with linux as I am tinkering with right now. If my router doesn't crash, I should have this IP at the moment, just go to http://64.91.73.240 to see what I've done. Keep in mind this is all on my box, which is neato burrito to me.

Back