Linux distro suggestion

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
ok, im trying to get a portable CS server to work on a pentium 1, 80mb ram, 1.5gb hard drive, laptop. DSL graphical interface wont work right so im looking for a different one. and ive spent all night trying to get Slax to install but i have no idea why its not copying the files correctly (their wiki said to do make_disk.bat in dos but just isnt working right) and so yeah..... suggestions?

ok, im trying to get a portable CS server to work on a pentium 1, 80mb ram, 1.5gb hard drive, laptop. DSL graphical interface wont work right so im looking for a different one. and ive spent all night trying to get Slax to install but i have no idea why its not copying the files correctly (their wiki said to do make_disk.bat in dos but just isnt working right) and so yeah..... suggestions?
cs 1.6 or css require a modern computer to run jsut for the server to work and a modern distro. NO linux distro that will run on that machine will CS of any flavor run on due to the linux distro being too old and the hardware won't even run on a p-3 decently much less a p-1. Get some more modern hardware.

Even newer P4 systems can be fairly easy to come by, as some businesses throw out hardware more than 3 years old. I've got 2 P3 systems laying around that I have yet to do anything with, and they will run a LOT of game server software (higher end is out of the question for the 550). But look around and see what people are throwing out; I've picked up a 2GHz P4 system at one time because the owner didn't want to upgrade the RAM...

we'll ive gotten HL servers to work on win98 on a p1 system before in the past so thats what i was looking into re-attempting only with a small linux distro. i have a p3 server i use for music,file,ssh,ftp,http, etc. and a server thats not running yet in eastern washington because parents dont want to pay electricity, so yeah.

Try using one of the most popular distros.

www.distrowatch.com

I know alot of people running Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS, openSUSE & Debian as Gaming servers. With one of the latest distros, you will have the benefit of every possible combination of the latest technology as well. You will need to look at the specific distro to see which version works best with older machines. There are alot of Counter Strike servers out there running on old Linux boxes, you have seen them, you know...the ones with high latency and alot of lag. I would stay away from Slax for running a Gaming server, especially on a laptop. There are several distros specifically designed for laptops, with all their battery issues and all.

It may take you some trial and error to find just the right combination, but the time spent will benefit you as you grow in knowledge about computers and Linux.

Have fun and God Bless.

i cant get slax to work though or else it would be my first choice

the current cs and cs:s codebases do not run worth a crud on anything slower than 1.4 ghz. if you run custom maps you need 2ghz plus. If you want more servers than one it's gets even faster. Minimum ram..512 for one server with custom maps..1 gig for more than one server. take this from a server admin that has been running the server for more than a couple of years now.

IMO Centos is your best bet. It's the only one that's supported for 5+ years out of hte box. Ubuntu and the rest are typically 12-16 months at the most. There are some long term variants but the red hat derived centos has the longest track record of the ones previously listed.

the current cs and cs:s codebases do not run worth a crud on anything slower than 1.4 ghz. if you run custom maps you need 2ghz plus. If you want more servers than one it's gets even faster. Minimum ram..512 for one server with custom maps..1 gig for more than one server. take this from a server admin that has been running the server for more than a couple of years now.

IMO Centos is your best bet. It's the only one that's supported for 5+ years out of hte box. Ubuntu and the rest are typically 12-16 months at the most. There are some long term variants but the red hat derived centos has the longest track record of the ones previously listed.

its really only for like peresonal LAN use for up to 3-4 people...... lol

the baselines i stated hold true. you can go below those..but expect poorer to unusuable usage. You ahve to have fc5 at a minimum for steam's stuff to run and nothing lower than a p-3 is supported in a distro that will run the steam servers

then i shall have a very heavy flattering jump drive :D

CentOS is nice, but I find myself updating for the added features of a new release long before I've got time to worry about much else. But I'm not looking for the 600+ days of uptime that a lot of server admins love so much; I've seen a few still running old versions of RedHat and boasting 1600+ days of uptime. I just hope they keep their patches current :)

with 1600 days of uptime the kernels don't get updated. I'm not an uptime junkie..i'm a security one. I'll reboot for a new krnel w/o hesitation. The point of a server distro like centos is that the codebase is stable. Newer codebases tend to and often do break long running programs...like cs and 1.6.

Yeah, I get 1000+ break-in attempts on the SSH side of my Mandriva 2007 honeypot... It's easy to fix that by changing ports, but I'm watching the usernames they try with, and the IP addresses that are being used....
Been running this honeypot for about 3 years, no successful break-ins so far that I've seen....

changing hte port doesn't do anything. Chage it..they'll find it quickly(port scanners are fast these days). Setup ssh(if not a honeypot) to reject root logins..then setup an ACL that only allows logins from 1 or two user level accounts with strong passwords.

If you have a lights out card you then don't even need to leave ssh exposed you can firewall the machine so tight the only ports anyone sees are dns, mail, http, ftp..:)

Actually, I changed my port from 22 (I never allow remote root login) and saw it drop to zero for several weeks. They may find the new port eventually, but the port scanners seem to be looking for port 22 when looking for SSH servers.

nods..it's only good for a short time(port switching)..the best thing is to either not show ssh at all(if you have a lights out card this works) or have at least a 12 character password and keep your machine updated..:)

well i got centos 4 installed after trying 2,5,3 then finally 4. but now i cant do any updates or anything cuz i have to redo the repos, but then i forgot how. i got webmin goin though so that was fun. its on minimal install so its a good learning experience for me to HAVE to sit down and look at black screen with white text lol

well i got centos 4 installed after trying 2,5,3 then finally 4. but now i cant do any updates or anything cuz i have to redo the repos, but then i forgot how. i got webmin goin though so that was fun. its on minimal install so its a good learning experience for me to HAVE to sit down and look at black screen with white text lol
the default repos should work fine. Did you modify the repo files? If so i'll send you the base repo files and dag's repo file..:)
if you did not modify them are you getting an error? also how are you trying to update..are you using yum update as root?

the default repos should work fine. Did you modify the repo files? If so i'll send you the base repo files and dag's repo file..:)
if you did not modify them are you getting an error? also how are you trying to update..are you using yum update as root?

i was using yum through webmin, yum through root, im at school and webmin not working and the school has port 22 blocked on their router so i cant do much as of right now. talon sent me the dag repos but i think i placed em in the wrong directory, and they may be out of date as he gave them to me like a year ago

Back