Is Minecraft Evil?

jb77

Hey everyone, I’m new here, and I wanted to get your guys’s(or girls’s) thoughts about this. So just a few minitues ago, I watched a video on tiktok about a guy that said that Minecraft is a satanic and evil game because of the final boss fight aka the ender dragon and they used some scripture about when satan was casted into the bottomless pit for a thousand years and that it correlates to the ender dragon in Minecraft and I also read on a website that it promotes p0rn, s3x tr@ffi€ing, satanism, and other evil things. I’d like to hear your thoughts on this and let me know.

I haven't watched the video, but over the years I've seen and heard various folks say this or that game, music, movie, tv show, whatever, is satanic. Many times they post these thoughts simply to generate hype and traffic to their social media sites.

The Bible in Proverbs 17:24 calls us to be discerning.

I dont beileve it is... I play it all the time. and I just thought it was to teach you about survival and to create houses and craft swords, Axes, and stuff. and just basically kill monsters and tame wolves

Hey everyone, I’m new here, and I wanted to get your guys’s(or girls’s) thoughts about this. So just a few minitues ago, I watched a video on tiktok about a guy that said that Minecraft is a satanic and evil game because of the final boss fight aka the ender dragon and they used some scripture about when satan was casted into the bottomless pit for a thousand years and that it correlates to the ender dragon in Minecraft and I also read on a website that it promotes p0rn, s3x tr@ffi€ing, satanism, and other evil things. I’d like to hear your thoughts on this and let me know.
I believe something is truly evil about it. My daughter started playing it when she was about 5 years old. She told me after a few days that the devil was in her head and that she liked him... she was very upset. So we deleted the game and it stopped. Then she tried again at age 7 and had to delete the game (I didn't know about this attempt). Then she played the game again at almost 9 years old and just told me that it happened for the 3rd time and that she deleted the game forever. When she deletes the game, it stops.

I believe something is truly evil about it. My daughter started playing it when she was about 5 years old. She told me after a few days that the devil was in her head and that she liked him... she was very upset. So we deleted the game and it stopped. Then she tried again at age 7 and had to delete the game (I didn't know about this attempt). Then she played the game again at almost 9 years old and just told me that it happened for the 3rd time and that she deleted the game forever. When she deletes the game, it stops.

Usually I try to avoid these types of discussions because, as someone who's both a Christian and a digital developer, I don't want to dissuade anyone's personal ideas/expressions/convictions about spiritual content in mass-market media, while also feeling that ultimately the real underlying issue is the mass-market economy itself, not some kind of intentional, goal-oriented plan carried out by nefarious developers.

However, your particular experience here strikes me as being more likely related to a couple of very objectively practical problems with manageable practical solutions that the gaming community has been negligent of in risk mitigation and resolution, so I'll give you my two cents on those particular things in case you might find them of some kind of help or comfort.

Basic Summary:

1. Most young girls aren't going to have a good experience playing survival games alone without other trusted friends or family members playing together with them. Generally speaking, scenarios of feeling alone in a vast wilderness with an everpresent risk of violent attack is more likely to trigger perfectly healthy and positive defense responses of feeling endangered and overwhelmed and running to find other people for help, not inspired to start foraging for resources to build a fortress, craft weaponry, and develop combat skills to deal with the violent threats themselves in the way the genre typically expects.

2. While Minecraft itself isn't fundamentally a survival game, it starts out in survival mode by default, which can end up being a pretty stressful experience if that's not what you were expecting and don't know how to turn it off or that turning it off is even an option. Overall I think it's a good game with a lot of positive potential, but there's a lot of negligence in its consideration for new players that can cause some real instances of distress and frustration for those trying to learn to play on their own without others to guide them.

In light of those points, I'd be willing to guess that what most likely happened is not a result of actual evil spirits, but that the stress-inducing horror aspects of unexpectedly encountering a survival scenario unprepared might have caused your daughter to experience a very real trauma response that she doesn't know how to process or express. And I think it is perfectly legitimate and reasonable to be upset about that, because Minecraft knows many parents buy the game thinking of it as a creative building game for their kids (which it is, just not straight out of the box if they're not already experienced with survival games and/or don't get easily frustrated by fast-paced-but-clunky combat and frequent death and item loss while they're trying to figure stuff out), so I don't think they have a lot of excuse to not have a more kid-friendly starting process.

That's not something I would consider as "evil" in the spiritual sense, but I do consider it as objectively and morally wrong.

Back