Homosexuality: Lifestyle Choice?

Could someone please give a circumstance where a person might feel inclined to do something as catastrophic as to reverse their sexual orientation and go against the will of common society? All homosexuals that I know are quite sane.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But the question is, what makes a person DWELL on details about a girl, but not a man? I cannot say I have been attracted to men because I KNOW I am heterosexual, mainly cos I've had crushes on girls but have never thought twice about guys. However, I HAVE dwelt on my male peer's appearance before, when they come in wearing new stuff,a new hairstyle etc. and think 'that looks great, I would love to have those shoes/jacket etc.' But at no point have I ever contempleted a male peer being attractive. Does this mean, If I am not attracted to them, I am choosing to be heterosexual? No, I CAN'T be attracted to them. My mind simply won't work that way.

I think your questions could be answered by asking yourself why you prefer blondes over brunnettes or for having a special propensity for redheads. It follows the same line of thought.

Some guys HATE brunnettes. Some guys HATE blondes. Some guys HATE redheads. Some guys like other guys.

Is there a logical reason one doesn't like brunnettes? I doubt it, it's a feeling more than anything else.

One doesn't suddenly wake up in the morning liking girls. It's a gradual thing. I think it's very similar to homosexuality.

I don't think that's a good analogy DV. Hair color is one thing. Gender is a far more powerful determinant of atraction.

Hey, you make a better analogy
smile.gif

It's close because it's a preferential choice.

Do you have a preference for blondes or an orientation towards blondes?

Does one have a homosexual preference or a homosexual orientation?

If it's not a preferential choice, then where does that leave a bisexual?

EDIT:

I just found this website, it may answer some questions...check out the faq.

http://www.queerbychoice.com/

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]

[A woman on a panel said she chose to be a lesbian] and the audience was just going crazy! "What does this mean?" and "Well, do you still have an attraction to men?" And she said, "No, I don't." And they said, "But that can't be, if you had it before." And she said, "Yeah, I used to like cheese but I don't eat cheese anymore and I actually don't like it; it was an acquired taste. Men were an acquired taste. I no longer have the taste for them." People were like, "What? Oh no!" Weeping and gnashing of teeth.
—a queer man, quoted in Vera Whisman's Queer by Choice: Lesbians, Gay Men, and the Politics of Identity, 1996

DV, I actually believe that it is possible to be homosexual by choice. I know there are those who chose to be homosexual, like the lesbian you quoted. But there are just as many if not more homosexuals who swear that there was never any such choice. How can we explain this? The evidence available seems to allow for both sides to be true, as neither nature nor nurture is the entire reason for sexual orientation. For instance, the twin study that I keep referring to. Bisexuality is an even larger mystery, though it probably has something to do with people who lean towards the nature side of homosexual orientation and then choses to have a bit of both worlds...or vice versa. All we can do is speculate unfortunately.. In any case though, I do not believe it is wise to be conclusive either way at this stage in our discoveries.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But there are just as many if not more homosexuals who swear that there was never any such choice. How can we explain this?

My honest, personal opinion?

It's a cop out.

It's easier to blame it on a genetic disorder than to stand tall and accept responsibility for a choice that society, as a whole, looks down upon.

It's not a nice answer, but I believe it is a logical one.

If you were worried about what society thinks, why would you make such a devastating choice in the first place? It's not like an 'excuse' makes it any better.

All the homosexuals I know are quite reasonable people. Don't you think that's a bit odd? Methinks there is more to that than you are allowing it.

Romans 1:24-27 Therefore God also gave them up to their uncleanliness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies amongst themselves, who exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshipped and served the creature rather than the creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and recieving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

In other words, don't just post a Bible verse and leave
smile.gif

Actually be PART of the discussion.

BTW, have you seen the Gay Church link I posted? You might be intereted in that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dark Virtue @ Oct. 29 2004,8:04)]In other words, don't just post a Bible verse and leave
smile.gif

Actually be PART of the discussion.
That wasn't intended as a blanket statement. What do you think about that verse?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dark Virtue @ Oct. 29 2004,8:10)]You REALLY need to look at the gay Church link, they use the bible to explain that homosexuality is OK.
I find it interesting that although these people claim to be Christians, they provide no scriptural quotes to support their points nor do they go anywhere near the first chapter of Romans as I just quoted it. So in what way are they using the bible to explain that homosexuality is OK?

Back