Homosexuality: Lifestyle Choice?

Mr.Bill

This is a highly controversial issue, so I thought I'd make a thread for it. Do you believe that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice, or is it something that is intrisically bound to the person. Or is it a bit of both? What are your arguements for your position? We all know that the Bible says that homosexuality is a sin, so let's try and limit reiterations of that.

I know lots of Homosexuals and I have come to the conclusion it’s a Choice. I do not believe it is a genetic defect or your born that way. You may have a certain preference of what your into.

But it’s a choice

Its definitly a choice... I lust for women but I still have to choose to take action on that. So yes, its a choice.

I know someone who has had crushes on males since as far back as he can remember. He has never, ever, had any crushes on women.

Ask him and he will tell you he never chose.

Perhaps it is more palatable than being called a deviant (actually has been called that) who chooses to do something many view with revulsion.

If you like, I can ask. (Can't promise he will allow an answer, though).

Here's the problem I see.

If you give into the notion that homosexuality is indeed, a mutation or disease, then you insinuate that there is a cure.

Good point. But will everyone who has never known what it is to be heterosexual choose to be 'cured'?

I believe it is a bit of both. It would be wrong to conlcude that sexual orientation is based entirely on nature, becuase there is evidence that does not coincide with the claim. It would also be wrong to conclude that sexual orientation is based entirely on choice for the same reason.

In other words, I don't think you can be conclusive on an issue as nebulous as this. There is so much we do not understand about what causes sexual orientation. Why, if homosexual relationships cannot physically pass on their genetic material, and if societies are harshly against their behavior, have homosexuals been present in virtually all of human history? Why are there entire species of animals that are homosexual? Why are homosexuals' brains formed a little differently? To what extent is homosexuality heritable? How do you explain the significantly increased number of homosexuals in families with histories of homosexuality? How do you explain the twin studies? How do you explain why someone would conciously choose to go against the will of society at large? How do you explain the different childhood stories of homosexuals and heterosexuals? How do you explain bisexuality?

But I think the real question is this: With so many unknowns, is it right for our government to make legislations that discriminate against this group?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jim @ Oct. 27 2004,12:32)]Good point. But will everyone who has never known what it is to be heterosexual choose to be 'cured'?
I think the majority would be offended at being offered a cure.

Why?

Because it has become a moral choice.

If you have a disease, wouldn't you go out of your way to cure it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But I think the real question is this: With so many unknowns, is it right for our government to make legislations that discriminate against this group?

That is the point that is of utmost importance to me.

Whatever anyone thinks of homosexuals, it is not right in a democratic society to legislate against anyone, regardless of the religious implications.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But I think the real question is this: With so many unknowns, is it right for our government to make legislations that discriminate against this group?

Until the group comes to grips with its cause, then yes, I think the government is well within its rights.

Where the difference lies between a disability/ debilitating disease and homosexuality is that homosexuality is not an aggresive disease that destroys life, livelihoods and health, but a state of mind, wether it is choice or not.

As a state of mind, the normal function of that person would be to become attracted to members of the same gender. Imagine that is all you know. Would you like to have that taken from you?

To put it clearer, imagine homosexuality was the norm. Would you be inclined to 'cure' your disease?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dark Virtue @ Oct. 27 2004,12:39)]
[b said:

Until the group comes to grips with its cause, then yes, I think the government is well within its rights.
They are 'well within' their rights with the possibility of homosexuality not being a lifestyle choice still largely up in the air? I do not see how that can be DV.

Right DV... peopel cannot be cured unless they belive they are afflicted.. and my view is simply that it is an affliction because God says so....

@Jim... I feel Homosexuality is the same as any other mental illness.... If I had homosexual lust, I would fight it even more then I fight my heterosexual lust is it is wrong.

Byblos, in an attempt to illustrate what you are saying, lets turn the tables. Let's assume that heterosexuality was the immoral practice that society despises, and homosexuality was the one that society and god condones. Would you realistically be able to force yourself to be attracted to members of the same sex?

Umm Mr Bill.... for me right now Lusting for either is a sin as I am not married.... sooo, I am realistically forcing myself to be a not-sexual right now.

Back