GW2 Guild Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stc95

Tribe of Judah Guild Wars Chapter Leader
Since it seems there is a general consensus among most of the alliance to merge together in GW2 we must acquire a name for this mega-guild. Discussion has already started on that, and I will copy the posts over here. Please feel free to offer suggestions and comments about names. If I can, I'll try and update this post with all the suggestions and we'll see how we'll go about getting a new name.

Personally, I still really enjoy Spirit of Elijah. However I understand the reasoning of those requesting a change. With that in mind, here are some things I would like see represented, or taken into consideration, in regards to the new name.

Christ - We are a Christian guild and it is our calling to be a light unto the world. A name represents who a person/group is and what they stand for.
Tag - Remember, whatever name we decide upon, it most likely will be abbreviated. So keep that in mind before you offer something like Pink Underlings Killing Eagles..
Simple - Especially since there is probably a character limit for a guild. This means we can't have 8 words in our name, and I am a big proponent of Occam's Razor (simplest = better)

Bonus points for relating it somehow to GW2

Have fun!

EDIT: Too much hassle trying to move post over from the other thread.

Current suggestions are:
Spirit of Elijah
Legacy of Elijah

We need to keep the name Spirit of Elijah. Even if we come up with a new name that pleases everyone for a new uber-guild that everyone wants to be part of, we need to keep Spirit of Elijah.

I always assumed that Spirit of Elijah/Elisha - with all it's history and years of defining and redefining itself and its guidelines and style - would simply migrate forward 250 years into GW2.

If we are going to take a different route - I will be going along, as well. BUT - let me know and I will keep the name Spirit of Elijah for something. Maybe a second account - or something.

Just so y'all know, when LION gets back with GW2, we'll probably either keep Signet of the LION or else Order of the LION. We'll be seeing y'all around there at some point. Hopefully there's a good alliance system to be implemented.

I like the suggestions in this thread and can understand why lots of folks would want something Elijah-esque, but I'm going to throw out an alternate suggestion:

God Walked Among Mere Mortals [GWAM]

I like this name because it plays off of something that folks in Guildwars tend to feel is very important, especially when glorifying themselves. Instead, this glorifies Christ.

Also, Elijah points to Elijah. Sure, this is biblical, and Elijah was awesome, but he's not Christ and not the one we follow. My $.02 is that if folks don't like the above suggestion, they still strongly consider something that points directly to Jesus as an alternative.

I think this makes a good point. While I love the history of SoE, (I was there from the very beginning). I always thought it odd to have a name centered on a prophet and not God Himself. I would love to see the SoE Legacy some how represented but I think a name pointing to Jesus/God is the absolute best name we could use.

GWAM is really good, I love that.

Concur'd with Ewoks. I never really got the Elijah part. More Christ/God naming would be a better route to go.

Concur'd with Ewoks. I never really got the Elijah part. More Christ/God naming would be a better route to go.

Due to the unfortunate nature of gaming communities and game developers trying to maintain a 'neutral ground' in their games, being overt is a harder and harder to do without stirring up a lot of unwanted controversy/attention/possible forced namechange. Having a subtle title this is both obviously christian but technically not (Spirit of Elijah, Redeemed, Called from Darkness, etc.) is pretty much a necessity in the current climate, and something of a challenge to pull off well.

<Saints of Elyon> gives us [SoE] again :)

The name Elyon means Highest or Most High
Elyon
Elyon.GIF

Elyon is one of the Names or Titles of God in the Bible, and the first not-Creator Name. Sometimes it occurs by itself (Numbers 24:16) but often together with El. The name El Elyon occurs initially in Genesis 14:18, during the Melchizedek scene. The name Elyon is also often teamed up with the Tetragrammaton YHWH, for instance in Psalm 47:2 and 97:9, or with the appelation Elohim, for instance in Psalm 57:2 and 78:56.

Last edited:
Why do I feel a poll coming up? Yes it would be nice to recycle the old name, but I think we have some very good contenders. Saints of Elyon is a nice choice, but for good or ill can be confused with some of the made up names in the different swords and sorcery genre that was given such a boost in the early 60's by the revival of The Hobbit.

Why do I feel a poll coming up? Yes it would be nice to recycle the old name, but I think we have some very good contenders. Saints of Elyon is a nice choice, but for good or ill can be confused with some of the made up names in the different swords and sorcery genre that was given such a boost in the early 60's by the revival of The Hobbit.

Which makes it a perfect name! It will make it by any naming filters.

In defense of "Spirit of Elijah:"

The name is a reference to the Prophet Elijah who Elisha proclaimed was the Chariots of Israel, i.e. that the people of God is the might of a nation, not it's military... Which is a cool idea for a group of warriors and elementalists. (Elijah was also highly associated with the elemental power of God.)

However, it is more explicitly a reference to John the Baptist who was said to come in the "Spirit of Elijah" i.e. bringing reform back to the nation and returning the people to God.

So... this isn't speaking against anybody else's entries, but that's why I like the name Spirit of Elijah... It's biblical; it references not only Christ but our role as his people; it's classy and fun and fits with the warrior feel of GW; and - as has been noted - it's faith-inspired but not confrontational.

I like it. If we don't use that, we need to do as well in naming a new guild.

Brydon you really nailed my thoughts on Spirit of Elijah. I have been thinking on those lines and how to express them. At least for myself when I think of the guild name, I think of the Spirit which empowered both Elijah and Elisha. Note the word empowered, it indicates that they did not do their miracles by some mystical power they possessed, but by a higher power outside of them, the Spirit of God himself. The third part of the triune God.

edit: This is also why I like Legacy of Elijah, it was through the same Spirit of God that Elisha acted, and that all who are brothers and sisters in Christ gain their ability to resist, and fight against the powers of darkness.
1 Kings 18:36-39
Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
36 At the time for offering the evening sacrifice, Elijah the prophet approached the altar and said, “Yahweh, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, today let it be known that You are God in Israel and I am Your servant, and that at Your word I have done all these things. 37 Answer me, LORD! Answer me so that this people will know that You, Yahweh, are God and that You have turned their hearts back.”

38 Then Yahweh’s fire fell and consumed the burnt offering, the wood, the stones, and the dust, and it licked up the water that was in the trench. 39 When all the people saw it, they fell facedown and said, “Yahweh, He is God! Yahweh, He is God!”

Last edited:
I really like some of our alliances names if we can get away with something as overt as those such as: Reach Guild Wars for Christ [WWJD]. If not, I like the GWAM suggestion.

I personally enjoy the sound of Saints of Elyon. It has a nice ring to it and Even if people glance at it and are like, "What? I think I have heard of that name somewhere. I think it was from a Sci-Fi book/movie. I want to figure out now," that would give people a reason to figure out what the name really is.

*Disclaimer* **Fine print** The above quote is by no means a real sentence formed by any person/persons at the time of its writing and are merely the expression of its writer's thoughts. Any other previous mentioning of said sentence is mere coincidence.**Fine print** ;)

As long as we're brainstorming, I wanted to throw out there "Serpents and Doves [DOV]" in reference to

"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves."
Matthew 10:16 (NIV)

Or "Lions and Lambs" or "Soldier Saints [StS]" as long as we're brainstorming.

As long as we're brainstorming, I wanted to throw out there "Serpents and Doves [DOV]" in reference to

Or "Lions and Lambs" or "Soldier Saints [StS]" as long as we're brainstorming.

[StS] may not be the best guild tag. just sayin'. I like those ideas though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back