GFC Proverbs Challenge (November)

Lots of famous verses in chapter 6 - and sage advice. I like the verse referring to a father's commands:

When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you. Proverbs 6:22 (NIV)

Amen!

Proverbs 6:6-8 Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:
Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler,
Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.

A lot of time we let fear of impending calamities dictate how we spend our days and wear ourselves out so much in the franticness of doing so that when have a day where we don't have such a calamity pressing down upon us we think that it's now a time to rest until the next calamity comes along and the cycle begins again ad infinitum.

If, however, instead of resting on those days we were to take advantage of them to prepare better for the future instead -- not in fear but in wisdom -- we'd probably find those calamities becoming fewer and further between as a result and our lives would become much more naturally fruitful.

Proverbs 6:10-11 said:
10.A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest--

11.and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man.

Why is it most robberies happen at night? Its easy, most people are sleeping and the ones that are awake are generally having a hard time staying awake.

If we as Christians sleep for too long, we will miss the opportunity the Lord gives us for furthering His kingdom.

You’re the one I was looking for! I came out to find you, and here you are! Proverbs 7:15 (NLT)

When sin comes looking for the fool. What a great verse. Funny how sin can find those she is looking for.

Proverbs 7:1 My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.

It's not enough to just read or hear the words of instruction. We have to grab hold of them and store them up within ourselves for them to be of any good.

You simple people, use good judgment. You foolish people, show some understanding. Proverbs 8:5 (NLT)

Are you immature? Learn to be mature. Are you foolish? Learn to have sense. Proverbs 8:5 (TEV)

You gullible people, learn how to be sensible. You fools, get a heart that has understanding. Proverbs 8:5 (GW)

I like the New Living - but Today's English is good - and God's Word version really hits home - "get a heart for understanding." Wow!

Proverbs 7:3 said:
3. Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.

If somethign is bound around your fingers, you will remember it. IF you write it on the innermost portion of your heart, you will never lose it.

Proverbs 8:23-21 said:
23. I was appointed from eternity, from the beginning, before the world began.

* When there were no oceans, I was given birth, when there were no springs abounding with water;

* before the mountains were settled in place, before the hills, I was given birth,

* before he made the earth or its fields or any of the dust of the world.

* I was there when he set the heavens in place, when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep,

* when he established the clouds above and fixed securely the fountains of the deep,

* when he gave the sea its boundary so the waters would not overstep his command, and when he marked out the foundations of the earth.

* Then I was the craftsman at his side. I was filled with delight day after day, rejoicing always in his presence,

* rejoicing in his whole world and delighting in mankind.

Think about that for a minute. Wisdom was created. Personally I think Wisdom existed with the Lord before the World was created, I think when He created Wisdom, He gave us a name to know to be better. Somethign to strive for.

On an aside, I apologize for missing yesterday. I left the house early Saturday morning and did not get home until after 3 am this morning.

Proverbs 8:36 But if you wrong me, you damage your very soul;
when you reject me, you're flirting with death."

Proverbs 8:5 Learn to be shrewd, you who are inexperienced;
develop common sense, you who are foolish.

by gaining Wisdom, especially God's wisdom, we will learn to be shrewd and develop common sense

If somethign is bound around your fingers, you will remember it. IF you write it on the innermost portion of your heart, you will never lose it.

And Pie...I have had this verse going through my mind recently .... "I have hidden Your word in my heart so that I may not sin against You" Psalm 199:11

Last edited:
Proverbs 9:4-5 Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him, Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine which I have mingled.

Foolishness is a correctable state that God has given us the means to overcome. While different people will be in different places in their knowledge and understanding at any given time, we should all at least be moving in some direction towards becoming better than we are. We cannot use any excuses of being hopeless victims of our circumstances when God is doing all He can to reach us where we are.

Wisdom: Are you confused about life, don't know what's going on? Come with me, oh come, have dinner with me! Proverbs 9:4 (MSG)

The Message has a great way of putting things.

10 "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,
and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

Whatever it takes to gain wisdom and understanding, I'm there ;)

Proverbs 9:9 said:
9. Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.

The hardest part is learning whether or not you are teachign a wise man or a fool...

Proverbs 9: 16 "Let all who are simple come in here!" she says to those who lack judgment.

It is so easy to blindly follow a crowd, not asking where you are going, but just going with the flow. Watch where you are going, let God guide your steps

Proverbs 10: 5 He who gathers crops in summer is a wise son,
but he who sleeps during harvest is a disgraceful son.

I know, I am early. I wanted to read tonight before going to bed to ponder chapter 10. This verse stood out to me. I wonder if this is why my summers are so hard, because I don't want to work hard in the summer. Maybe I am a disgraceful son to God. I am not beating myself up, just pondering.

Provers 10:19 When there are many words, sin is unavoidable,
but the one who controls his lips is wise.

It was interesting to see the number of verses in Chapter 10 that dealt with speech and speaking. Out of the heart, man speaks.

Fewer words will be of benefit to me.

Hate stirs up trouble, but love forgives all offenses. Proverbs 10:12 (TEV)

It is very similar to what Peter said:

Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8 (NLT)

Back